My Cat Won't Stop Eating

georgiagirl8

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat, Rat, eats all the time. We feed her and she wants more. When we feed the other cats, she tries to take their food away from them. Every time she hears the can opener, she comes running - no matter where she's at. She's always begging for food. And yes, she is fat. We actually call her Fat T Rat T sometimes. Only now I'm concerned that she may be getting too fat. She doesn't get much exercise, because she loves to stay in the house a lot. Something else she does seems to boggle my mind. I can fix myself something to eat and take it into the living room - quietly. I'll peek at her, she will be sound asleep - sometimes feet in the air - in another room entirely. I go to the couch - making sure not to make one sound, sit down, and start to take my first bite. I look up and there she is sitting in the floor in front of me with begging eyes wanting me share my food. How in the world does she do that?! It actually amazes me! She does it all the time. I won't make one sound, but she knows when I'm eating. Anyway, I would like to know how I can make her slow down a little and stop eating quite that much. Any suggestions?

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as exercising, the best thing you can invest in is a cheap laser pointer! It will provide you and Rat with hours of fun and games!

fsttrk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think there is a cat appetite suppresant, just don't give in to the pitiful " I want food look"! I have six cats, two kittens, and I only put the food bowls out when I'm watching them. They caught on real quick that if they wanted to eat they better do it when they had the chance. They each have there own so I can make sure they are getting enough. The laser pointer is a great idea, just make sure not to shine it in their eyes.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been checked for worms recently? Some parasites make cats very skinny and others make them very fat and ravenous.

Also she should be checked for diabetes and when you do take her to the vet he can tell you if she is fat and how to safely take the weight off of her so she doesn't become gravely ill.