My cat won’t let neck wound heal, please help!

ilovemyvoidboi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat won’t stop opening healing scab, help?!

My cat had a wound on his neck a few weeks ago, took to vet who suspects he got a small scratch when play fighting with his brother & then kept messing with it causing it to get bigger. He was given an antibiotic shot and a steroid shot. This seemed to work until almost two weeks later when he re opened the wound. Now it looked even bigger so I took him back to the vet who this time gave him a longer lasting steroid shot & told me to call back in 4 weeks. That was only 5 days ago & it was looking the best I’ve seen it yet, was definitely starting to scab up and heal. Until this morning when I woke up to him excessively scratching. Now it is once again raw and bloody. I think it itches when it scabs up and that is the reason for him continuing to reopen it. But I don’t know what to do. I don’t know if a cone would work as it is on his neck and I don’t want the plastic to be rubbing on the wound. Does anyone know any DIY cone alternatives that can help me? I’m not very crafty but can try my best. I’m also nervous because, like most cats, my cat absolutely HATES anything being on him, especially around his neck. I just want my poor guy to heal, please help :(

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would try to cover it with a bandana or a bandage or something and keep a close eye on it so hopefully he would leave it alone. You could also bandage the wound so it's not rubbed then put a soft cone on as well to help protect the wound and from him getting the bandage off. Changing the bandage at least daily til the wound heals.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also try some cat wound spray. Soak a small piece of cloth and apply it, cats are afraid of the spraying. Then apply some human triple antibiotic salve (with NO pain killers, toxic to cats) and see if that helps. He is scratching because it is itchy from healing. if eh had some salve applied it might feel better,