My Cat Won't Let Me Cut Her Nail!!!

infamous-d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do I cut my cat's nails when she won't let me??

She freaks out and revolts!!!

Any suggestions??

Thanks

fr gregg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A. Either allow the vet assistants to do the 'dirty work' or

B. Get the assistance of another member of your family or a neighbor---

Have the family member/neighbor/friend hold the cat in a towel wrapped all around her leaving only her head and one paw at a time while YOU cut the nails. Remember to hold her firmly (while talking to her lovingly). After a successful nail cutting...she could be given a treat. We do this for Dulcinea and now she remembers that she'll get a treat after the cutting...and is quite happy to surrender to the project.

Good luck!

Fr. Gregg

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try and do only 1 or 2 at a time at first. Anytime I have a cat on my lap I play with their paws, extending the claw so they are used to it.

Try when she is sleeping and relaxed.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you clipped her claws in the past or is it a recent thing that she won't let you touch them?

I would recommend wrapping her in a towel with just her paws sticking out and clipping them, and starting with just a few claws at a time.

If you don't feel comfortable doing them, groomers and vets usually do them fairly cheaply

foxfire

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I sit over my cat (none of my weight on him, just over him so that he can't go anywhere) and just do a few nails at a time. Or maybe just one paw one day and the other a couple of days later.

After I'm done, I give him catnip every time so that he can associate something pleasant with nail clipping.

pearla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im having the SAME problem RIGHT NOW!!
I tried everything and came out successful after wrapping him with a towel and doing 2 nails at a time. Giving him a treat after each session. It took me about 1/2 hour, chased him around the house, and got his feet left to do!
Im exhausted! AND I have a million Bite marks all over my hands!! Its a good thing hes a kitten and those bites didnt hurt as much. When he gets older, im taking him to the vet, for sure!! I think it would have been easier with someone else helping me though...

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I would try and do only 1 or 2 at a time at first. Anytime I have a cat on my lap I play with their paws, extending the claw so they are used to it.

Try when she is sleeping and relaxed.
Yep, this is the best way I've found to do it. I've got two rescue cats with very different personalities. Stanley is normally very laid back --until you touch his paws --then he is a freakin' whirling dervish, it's like he grows extra limbs or something. I have to cut his nails when he's sleepy. I've just gotten him used to the fact that kittys that sleep on my lap wake up with a manicure!
It's less stress for both of us, but I usually only get 2-3 nails done per nap (I only do the front anyway). Restraint doesn't work for him and he gives me such a hurt look when I do it.

Bella, on the other hand is a very spirited kitty to say the least, but she is easily bribed. I cut a kitty treat in to little pieces and approch her when she's semi sleepy. Cut a nail, give a piece of treat, etc...slow and steady.
Still, I never get them all done at once.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Put your cat some place unfmailiar, like on top of the washing machine, or a counter top that she doesn't normally get on.

Have a friend hold her, or if she's being fractious, or trying to run away have them hold her scruff. Usually when a cat is on an unfamiliar surface scruffed, they'll sit there and let you do whatever with little argument.

Just FYI to anyone who reads this thread, it's important to remember that when you get a kitten, anything you want to do with them as adults, you need to do as a baby. So ear cleaning, nail trimming, baths etc. It's all good to do it when they are young and first learning what is "normal".

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zoey hisses and growls at me when I cut her nails. She doesnt scare me though, she's all talk

I sit over her too so she cant go anywhere and I cut as many as I can and then try a few more later. When they're kittens the best time to do it is when they are sleeping or lazy.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by foxfire

I sit over my cat (none of my weight on him, just over him so that he can't go anywhere) After I'm done, I give him catnip every time so that he can associate something pleasant with nail clipping.
I do the same thing..but I do all the nails at once. If you give in, then the cat will know that he just needs to squirm around and he will be let go. You should try and do it all at once..IMO.

kathy jo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a sweet 16 year old male kitty and he has always let us clip his nails with ease up until the last several months. Try and try again, but we have not had luck and they have begun to get really close to his pads... so I called the vet and they suggested I bring him in for them to clip so I did only he was not having it and wouldn't let them near him, they were unable to even get him out of his crate... so, we wound up having to get his knocked out and then they did it plus a quick exam while he was out... he was half day at the vet but his nails are cut short and he is a happy kitty. The vet warned about not getting him too upset or angry at his age, so it was best to knock him out and get them clipped and I am sure glad we did... he is much happier.

scotfold

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i wait until he is hungry and in a good mood.
Sit him on my lap and open a bag of temptations. His head will be stuck in the bag trying to get something while I am clipping his nails.

I think he only manages to get 1-2 treats coz his head is too big 
 I give him a few afterwards too.

abbidixon98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love the treat bag idea! I have done a couple but didn't have good enough light and was ten MI. When I got her. She's so fiesty like her mama but otherwise a good girl.

drjohnyyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are having this problem with out 4 year old Arthur. We adopted him about 2-3 weeks ago and managed to cut a few using the standard techniques but now he flinches when we touch his paws at all! He even hissed and gave some warning bites the last time we pet his paws. We are going to take him to the vet but would rather do it at home. Frustrating!

michaelmperez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
make her sit on your lap. hold sphagetti (uncooked) in to clippers and hold them near your cat, seta a treat on top , while massaging your pet 's toes gemtly press toe pad and cut the nails.

catluvr321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe your cat will never let you do it. My cat has a special bond with me. Maybe your cat just doesn't have that with you. Maybe you could find someone who has a special bond with your cat.:catguy:

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some cat will the samushy kind we call 'em at my house some won't dose not mean they don't love you.
Of our 4 , 11 week kittens two you can bath 3 you can medicate and clip with out the burrito the 4 it's a yowl & towel performance for anything.
One of my adult cat we use welders gloves to groom at vet one would lie my lap for anything.