My cat won’t keep a cone on after being spayed!

Weathergirl16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I‘m a new cat mom of a 7 month old classic tabby, Mishka. I’ve had her just over a month and she just got spayed last Friday. She had a laser spay and internal stitches so there are no exposed threads to chew on.... however the vet requires her to wear a cone for 10 days.

First night, she takes the soft cone off within 10 minutes of being home from the vet. I drove back to the vet and picked up a hard plastic cone. She takes that one off in the middle of the night. Next day, I drove to the pet store and picked up a Velcro cone and a donut. Takes both off in minutes, but I try the Velcro cone overnight and she kept it on. She seems so depressed and miserable in a cone, so I bought her a onesie/cat recovery suit. She somehow wiggles out of that in the middle of the night too! I’m at my wits end.

She is smart and sneaky about licking her incision. She only does it when we look away for a minute. I’m supervising her as much as possible, but she wiggles out of everything.

What else can I do?? Thanks!
CC4A33C8-D3A2-4C6F-9A5D-782CF07AC2BF.jpeg
1C1D1780-4872-46DE-863A-2BAAC0D3720C.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! ...so, you're already three-four days out from the actual surgery?

Ask your vet that if there's no swelling, oozing, redness or bleeding, if you need to continue the battle :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Weathergirl16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She went in for her checkup yesterday and they said it looked great but to keep her coned or covered until next Tuesday! She gets such anxiety and shakes for 10-15 minutes when I put anything on her. I feel awful!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had several females spayed and none came home with a cone. I would take the cone/onesie off and just keep an eye on her incision.

Weathergirl16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm that is interesting about not ever having a cone. I’m gonna keep trying the onesie until Friday, that’ll have been a week. Her incision was looking a little crusty this morning, probably because she wiggled out of it overnight and I’m sure licked at the wound. I wish they made kitty bandaids!!!

Weathergirl16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How are things? What did you end up doing? Did you-all make it through :)?
I’ve been leaving her in the onesie just at night since she has been sleeping in it. She is definitely doing better being unrestricted during the day and we go in for a final check up on Tuesday ☺. Thanks for checking 💕