My Cat Won't Eat

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m not really sure what to do... I have a feeling that visiting her won’t do any good and will only stress her out and make her feel worse. I haven’t been able to help her yet and I don’t think I could control my emotions if I saw how she’s looking. I just don’t know if it’s worth it.
of course it will do good! why wouldnt it? she is feeling crummy and needs to see you. You are able to help her by simply being there, petting her, maybe bring some food along that she likes. She is probably worried on top of feeling sick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

timberdarkhorse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I won’t be able to handle seeing her there and know she’ll sense that and freak out... I think her worry would be more manageable if I’m distant, since I simply can’t be there in the moment she passes. It’s really heartbreaking that I can’t prevent her death and that I’m all out of things I can do to make her feel truly better. This has taken a toll on me and I can’t be a support for her if I’m just as worn. It’s a hard decision but I think it’s a lose lose unless if she makes it through tonight. I’m wishing for her thoughts to be happy and even if I go there, it’s impossible to control her mind and stop her lingering wishes. Thank you for your help and I’m glad she gets to have medicine and medical support during this because of you guys, I’ll keep you updated and I’m sorry that I won’t be with her like you all want.

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I won’t be able to handle seeing her there and know she’ll sense that and freak out... I think her worry would be more manageable if I’m distant, since I simply can’t be there in the moment she passes. It’s really heartbreaking that I can’t prevent her death and that I’m all out of things I can do to make her feel truly better. This has taken a toll on me and I can’t be a support for her if I’m just as worn. It’s a hard decision but I think it’s a lose lose unless if she makes it through tonight. I’m wishing for her thoughts to be happy and even if I go there, it’s impossible to control her mind and stop her lingering wishes. Thank you for your help and I’m glad she gets to have medicine and medical support during this because of you guys, I’ll keep you updated and I’m sorry that I won’t be with her like you all want.
She doesn't need you to be strong, she just needs you to pet her one last time. My sister was asleep when her kitty died from old age. She did make some noise in a middle of that night but my sister didn't realize what was going on and did not get up. She still feels sorry she was not there for her to comfort her...

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
She doesn't need you to be strong, she just needs you to pet her one last time. My sister was asleep when her kitty died from old age. She did make some noise in a middle of that night but my sister didn't realize what was going on and did not get up. She still feels sorry she was not there for her to comfort her...
Exactly.

timberdarkhorse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rest In Peace
Fiona Fate C.
10/16/13 - 5/22/19

It all started with this picture being shown to me on Facebook. A link of coincidences convincing me it was fate for me to have her, barely needing to think it through before messaging to hear more about her.

I ended up getting her and she was shy at first, hiding away and trying to figure out the situation she was in. But soon she warmed up, and I got to learn all about her. And I came to love the cat that had been given to me by Fate.
I never imagined her life would be cut into a small fraction of my lifetime, or that I’d only be able to have her in my life for two and a half years.
But sadly, that’s the reality we’re in.

Thank you all for your help through this... It helped her pass painlessly and gave me some direction.
Here’s the last picture of her taken.

I could send you guys all the things I loved about her, all her little mannerisms and quirks. I could tell you how much I’m going to miss her, how hard it’s been to lose a cat for the first time. But I don’t know if I could truly show you guys how special she was to me.
So although it may not show you who she was, or what she was worth, it’s a send off for her. Purrs from happier times.

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sad! I hope you are OK! Fiona is gone to Kitty haven now...

Did the doctor say what was wrong with her and why she got so sick? It would help us, other cat owners, to know more details I think. Or how to prevent this...
Thank you!

timberdarkhorse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
NewKitty2019 NewKitty2019 Thank you so much... I’ve been doing better than expected but it’s really hard to believe I’ll never get to see her again for the rest of my life.

I did mention through updates but you’re right that it could be helpful to do a recap...

Fiona had chronic pancreatitis. Honestly, I never got much time to properly research it as I only find out the day before she died and after that, there was no need for me to do so... Since I don’t know that much on the illness, someone can give me some info and I’ll edit it in here if anyone think it’s needed.

From what I read, it’s not that uncommon but diagnosing it requires certain bloodwork that some vets lack? My first vet did everything she could but ultimately didn’t have the technology to even find out Fiona had pancreatitis. And if she had, or if I had decided on going to a second vet sooner, her vitals wouldn’t have gotten so low and she would have had a better fighting chance. Don’t hesitate with stuff!

I don’t know if there’s a specific cause rather than it just developing naturally? But I do know some elements can worsen it throughout time, causing attacks like these, if it’s chronic. I believe acute pancreatitis is usually one attack caused by some sort of poisoning or something super sudden and if cured, goes away. Where as chronic could stay there and keep flaring up, regardless of if they make it through the first. What Fiona suffered from this past week seemingly was a flare up but she had only shown some very small symptoms previously, mainly vomiting is the only one I can confidently recall.

I ignored her vomiting until it was too late and although in HINDSIGHT, I wish I was more worried over it, I know it’s easily looked over and you wouldn’t see the need to do dramatic bloodwork over occasional vomiting without previous negative experiences. The vet claimed her pancreas was getting upset from her diet along with her eating random things such as parts of the window frame, pieces of the door, strings, plants, etc. But I overlooked this due to it mostly being behind my back along with it seemingly being more like chewing rather than eating eating, you know?

My recommendation after this experience would be to keep track of your cats patterns. If your cat starts vomiting or picking up weird habits, even if you think it’s nothing note worthy, simply write it down. Just monitor any strange things you notice, because it could help you catch an illness early. I also recommend that if your cat gets this sick and it’s extremely noticeable, yet the first vet is confused by the cause, TAKE THEM TO ANOTHER VET. Nothing against the first vet, but in my case it was a lack of materials. Getting a second opinion won’t hurt, try and find a reputable source, maybe farther away, and just do what you can for your cat.

The recovery process is a whole other thing. I know daftcat75 daftcat75 put a lot of helpful info about it above. But I recommend for anyone who has this happen to research thoroughly and make their own thread to get help for their kitty.

And if your cat doesn’t make it, try not to blame yourself or over analyze your choices. A lot of people who’s cat dies from this wouldn’t even know it was pancreatitis, so just you getting to diagnose them is a step in the right direction.

Fiona was a wonderful cat and I hope she’s in a good place right now... I wish this had never happened but I did what I could and the past two years is sadly the only chapter she’ll star in... But at the very least, I got to keep her as a star in my memories. <3 Please, try your best to keep your cat going through life!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry for your loss.

Pancreatitis is a really tough one because it’s usually not just pancreatitis. You have to find the original insult and injury and stop that too. Often that’s IBD which is another challenging one. It was going to be a really tough road ahead for her and no guarantees.

Fiona was a real beauty. Reminds me of my last cat, Cabernet. She was taken too soon by mouth cancer. May Fiona’s memory be a blessing to you!

timberdarkhorse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 Thank you! You were really helpful through this so I’m glad you were here to help her.

I’m sorry about Cabernet though :( It’s a pretty name and I’m sure she matched it!