My cat won’t eat after spay.

Hassan2xsr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I joined this site today out of concern for my cat’s health.
He was neutered last Thursday and was acting normally for the next 36hours, but Around Saturday he started to not eat that much and refused to drink water. After that he started to refuse eating almost completely and he stopped drinking completely.
Yesterday I took him to the vet the vet gave him an antibiotic (which he told me is the standard procedure for after spay). But as it stands today he is refusing to eat his favorite wet food and his favorite human foods and not drinking at all and sitting on the couch or chair all day.
Yesterday when I was at the vet, the vet did not show much concern about him not eating, so he said if he still doesn’t eat tomorrow we’ll see.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to go back to the vet. Hopefully you can get something to improve his appetite. When I had my boy's neutered they didn't get any antibiotics given, but different vet's do different things. Poor little fella I hope he's feeling better soon.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with taking him back to the vet or even getting a second opinion. It sometimes takes 24 hours for the antibiotics to kick in so if he is still not eating then give your vet a ring

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hassan2xsr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I took him to the vet, and they took his temperature and it was 40.5.
Safe to say that he has an infection, so they gave him a few injections and now he is looking better and eating better.
I’ll take him tomorrow for a check up.
Thanks for your help guys