My cat with new Acute Pancreatitis.. Hiding, Lethargic

Elizabeth B

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! Asking for any experiences for Kiki, my 15 years old(ish) rescue cat. She was in very good health until last Wednesday. Within a few hours she went from her happy go lucky self to a very sick cat. I rushed her to the vet on Thursday. She was dehydrated and her blood work came back indicating acute pancreatitis. She stayed overnight got fluids and anabiotic and B12. The vet changed her diet and sent her home on Friday. Since she’s been home, she has been hiding under the bed. She comes out to use her litter. I can feed and give some water at that time. She looks to be in shock. She is not responding to her name and doesn’t respond to my voice. I am giving her a pain medication, gabapentin, to help. She does still seem to have some nausea and is lethargic. She is using her litter, eating, and drinking but hides under the bed for the rest of the day. This is her fourth day home and there really has been no change or improvement. Has anyone experienced a cat with acute pancreatitis? What did the first few days/week look like for you? I feel like I am on a roller coaster with her and It’s so hard to see her this way and so despondent. Any advice? I am not sure if I’m doing everything I can or if she should go back to the vet for more help? Thank you!!!

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
YES, call the vet again! Your cat's in a bad way and can't explain things to you. Don't wait for notes here and 10 opinions, just call.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elizabeth B

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
YES, call the vet again! Your cat's in a bad way and can't explain things to you. Don't wait for notes here and 10 opinions, just call.
Thank you! I have been talking with my Vet and he is stating this can be normal as long as she is eating, drinking and using the litter.
Her lack of recognition is scaring me. She is my first cat and I want to help her: I need a second opinion

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you! I have been talking with my Vet and he is stating this can be normal as long as she is eating, drinking and using the litter.
Her lack of recognition is scaring me. She is my first cat and I want to help her: I need a second opinion
It's true that the fact she is eating and drinking is a good sign, but the fact that she doesn't seem to recognize you is scary. Does he think it's the Gabapentin?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elizabeth B

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He said the pain med will contribute to her lethargy and response. It is the first time she has been sick. She is a rescue, I found her I abandoned in a wooded area and has anxieties. She has no idea what is happening or why she is feeling this way. I was hoping she would start to connect more by now. 😞 I don’t know if it’s her natural response or if she needs to go back to the vet. Going to the vet has been traumatic for her from her history. But I’ll do anything to help her get better. I was thinking of having the mobile vet come to see her if possible in the morning

Krista74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He said the pain med will contribute to her lethargy and response. It is the first time she has been sick. She is a rescue, I found her I abandoned in a wooded area and has anxieties. She has no idea what is happening or why she is feeling this way. I was hoping she would start to connect more by now. 😞 I don’t know if it’s her natural response or if she needs to go back to the vet. Going to the vet has been traumatic for her from her history. But I’ll do anything to help her get better. I was thinking of having the mobile vet come to see her if possible in the morning
Hi Elizabeth, I was wondering how Kiki is doing. Has she improved? My kitty has been recently diagnosed with pancreatitis and it's been awful. It's been 24 hr care here and I'm stressed. I understand about the many vet appts being traumatic and exhausting. I'm with you. I hope your cat is doing better.
Krista