My Cat Will Not Stop Purring

sorbet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 6 month old Ragdoll. He will not stop purring. I understand that cats purr when they are happy, affectionate, or content and that it is supposed to be a good thing. But he purrs even when I am not petting him, he purrs when he is scared, he purrs when he is just walking around. He never ceases. The purring is louder than normal purring too, it keeps us up at night. Do you think there is anything wrong with him? Also will he grow out of it? He has already been neutered. I have had kittens and cats in the past before and I have never seen this. They purr when stroked or petted only. Please help. :O/

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have the opposite problem, my cat never purrs, even when she is happy. Never heard of a cat always purring! She must be a very happy kitty!

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I can't help much but our oldest cat Root will purr when he's happy or when his is scared. Maybe you just have a really happy cat.

Manda

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is hard to say if he will stop because cats cannot control when they purr. It happens naturally when they are very content to when they are in great pain.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Diego does it all the time, possibly even in his sleep. Doesn't matter whats happening, even in the shower he will purr. Occassionally he will stop for a brief second if he hears a noise but will start right up again.

Neko does't purr much at all and he's very quiet, sometimes you can pat him for like 20mins or more, and no purring.

Ryu, purrs quite a lot as well, even in the shower, he loves the shower, the other day he even tried to hop into a bucket of water to be washed. But he purrs all the time you are near him.

I don't think you need to be alarmed.

fedlawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two ragdoll kittens, almost 5 months, who also always purr. I wonder if it could be breed related? Jack and Charlie are VERY happy all the time. They always want attention, love their food, love their cat trees, love me, love my husband, love our other cats, love our dogs, love the carpet, etc...... They are essentially perfect kittens! I chaulked it up to insane happiness.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
This makes me want to get a Ragdoll now.

libby'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I don't know what to tell ya. Libby only seems to purr when we played with her.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pong purrs all the time as well. And quite loud as well. In his sleep by himself does not matter always purring. Ping on the other hand purrs sometimes but not all the time. Never really has except when he was little.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine likes to purr a lot too! She used to do it CONSTANTLY when she was a kitten, like all the time. She still does it often as an adult, just no every single second. I think you have a happy kitty

keziah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a 3 month old exotic short hair kitty, he also purrs all the time, sometimes he stops in his sleep, then starts again... i was also a bit concerned but reading all the replies here i feel a lot of cats do it and so it has put my mind at ease

sober_drunkenes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol my sister's cat Shippo does the same thing! He even purrs while using the litter box

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was in England and working, I ran an assisted living complex.
2 of my residents had 3 Rag-doll cats they were white with .. that blue/grey in patches and these cats would *never* stop purring.

They were also always "headbutting" me in my face lol

They must have energizer batteries in them somewhere!

(On a different note, they also had a total obsession with kitchen foil rolled in to balls and would play "catch" and bring it back, drop it at your feet for you to throw again. It always made me giggle
)

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Gracie purrs all the time too.
She just turned 8 and she's been doing it since the day we got her when she was 6 weeks old.

As a matter of fact our Vet calls her "Gracie the purr machine".
When I take her in for a check-up he always has a really hard time hearing her lungs and heart because he says all he can hear is the purr.

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Piping in as another ragdoll owner, mine purrs all the time as well but it doesn't keep me up...He also has a chirping sound that sounds like a singing bird but this is rare.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definetly wouldn't worry about it. Consider this a good thing.

When I first got PHX (lynx point siamese) I was worried because he wouldn't stop meowing, you get used to it... it's just one of those things about cats that we all love- they are all unique!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard of purring keeping someone from sleeping. It must really be loud!! The only solution there is to keep your cat out of your bedroom when you're sleeping.

Just look at all the people here who would gladly have your cat.

cookimonster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It supposedly means your cat was taken from its mum early on, and since kittens are first guided to their mums milk by her purrs, they might be trying to remind themselves of that time. It brings back fond memories, like how they knead when their happy.

Kittens also can't control when they purr. It just leaks out when they're excited, scared, upset, happy, in pain, or contented.

My cat is a purr-er too. She breaths by purring. I've started to get worried when she stops. [emoji]128539[/emoji]

herdzcatz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rowe, my white and cream ragdoll, purrs loud and hard, but not all the time. It's hard to sleep with him because of the volume of his happy purr. Gideon, my 12 year old long haired red tabby purrs non-stop, but quietly. He has the personality of Barney Fife--all bravado and then massive freak out--but he's as happy as he can be. Cammie--long haired calico, purrs when petted; and Ember, black Persian mix, rarely purred as a kitten and young cat, but now at nearly 16, she purrs whenever she's near me. (BTW--Ember, my senior member, is still the most athletic cat in the house. She tears after treats and slides with them when she reaches them. Treats have helped make using the litter pan a big, wonderful deal for all four.)