My cat will barely sleep or eat

Hermione-1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat used to sleep all day long and get up occasionally and run around the house. Recently we put a bird feeder in the back yard and now my cat will sit all day in front of it watching them. She always had a slight interest in the birds but now she literally will not leave the window. She is barely sleeping, going to bed with me around 12 and then is already at the window when I get up at 8. Also she isn't eating as well as the only time I saw her go to her dish was when she heard me pouring out more for her. She usually would eat everything in it but has been eating less than half of the food in her bowl each day. Should I be worried about this? Are the birds too much stimulation for her? Do I need to give her some time in another room so she can remember to take care of herself? Thank you

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Especially if she's older, I would definitely have her thyroid checked; hyperthyroidism is very common (is she also losing weight)? If okay, she just really likes her birdfeeder! I always worry about indoor-only cats being bored. Consider a "catio," and she'll really be happy.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might try closing the curtains or blinds (although cats and blinds make that iffy), or otherwise blocking that window for several hours each day. Give her a set time when she can observe the feeder. If you do this EVERY DAY, after 2-3 weeks, she'll know when "bird watching time" has come. If all else fails, move the feeder where she can't see it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hermione-1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. I will be sure to take all advice and try new things with her!

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since she noticed the feeder? It might also be something that she’s super fixated on right now because it’s new and exciting and stimulating, but gradually it will become less novel and she’ll get less obsessed. My cat sometimes gets obsessive about new toys to the point of always wanting to play with them or looking for them whenever he’s awake, but as the novelty wears off he’ll go back to normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hermione-1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: it’s been almost 2 weeks since she first noticed it. I have been closing the window until 10 every morning and she will go up to it and then go back to bed when she sees it’s closed. She has begun to lose her obsession with it and is now eating and sleeping regularly again. Thanks everyone for your help!