My Cat Went Missing 2 Months Ago And Am Thinking Of Rescuing Another Kitten

ChelseaMit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

So 3 yrs ago I found a runt kitten in the shearing shed at my family’s farm which we go to every weekend. I have never loved anything more and mum and me adored him. His name was Kitty. We also have a dog who got along so well with kitty. He sat in our backyard with our dog and meowed at the window every day, he wouldn’t leave home for any more than a few hours at a time and always came to his name. Then the unthinkable happened two months ago he went missing from our suburban home with no warning, one day he was there and the next he wasn’t(we live on a reasonably busy street). I have cried every night wanting him to just come home and not knowing if he was dead or alive. I’ve never cried so much in my life. Then one of our friends found a kitten in a storm drain and rescued him and is looking for a forever home, I of course am thinking of taking him in. Is Kitty going to ever come home? My problem is I don’t know if Kitty will come home or to give up hope and give this other kitten a forever home? If I take in the kitten and Kitty comes home will he feel betrayed and replaced because that’s what I don’t want to do? I need some help please

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry your kitty is missing. Is this kitty neutered? If not males cats are prone to wandering in search of a mate. They can wander for miles and miles. They also can fight other males along the way. I was once caring for a feral cat that I had been unable to capture for neuter. He was gone for 5 months before coming back.

If you want to adopt this new kitty just be sure that if Kitty comes home, he still has a place with you. Introductions will have to be done so that the cats can get along. Also be sure if you are adopting a new kitty that he/she is spayed/neutered as well as up to date on vaccines. A vet visit is a must.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will the new kitten be allowed to live inside where he/she would be safer? It would be best to find a home for the storm-drain kitten where it can be raised as an inside cat. I have two indoor cats, plus one feral who comes inside and outside. I worry about her the most. Your outside Kitty is likely to turn back up at your house today or a year from now. Hard to say. Anyway, two cats are not much more trouble than a single cat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kitty may or may not come home. We have had cats who returned safely after MONTHS. Just be sure you are prepared to have two cats, in that case! And keeping your new guy in would be far, far safer (busy street, remember?). Should you decide to adopt this little guy, and Kitty DOES come back, we can certainly help you with introductions at that time!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're not giving up hope, take in stormy from the drain, do all the correct and responsible things a cat owner does, and if Kitty comes home again, do the same for Kitty - Kitty will not feel less loved and will not feel betrayed or replaced, I promise.

LittleQuill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

So 3 yrs ago I found a runt kitten in the shearing shed at my family’s farm which we go to every weekend. I have never loved anything more and mum and me adored him. His name was Kitty. We also have a dog who got along so well with kitty. He sat in our backyard with our dog and meowed at the window every day, he wouldn’t leave home for any more than a few hours at a time and always came to his name. Then the unthinkable happened two months ago he went missing from our suburban home with no warning, one day he was there and the next he wasn’t(we live on a reasonably busy street). I have cried every night wanting him to just come home and not knowing if he was dead or alive. I’ve never cried so much in my life. Then one of our friends found a kitten in a storm drain and rescued him and is looking for a forever home, I of course am thinking of taking him in. Is Kitty going to ever come home? My problem is I don’t know if Kitty will come home or to give up hope and give this other kitten a forever home? If I take in the kitten and Kitty comes home will he feel betrayed and replaced because that’s what I don’t want to do? I need some help please
I understand what you're going through, as a similar thing happened to me. I was living at with someone, and got my own place. On the day I was moving, my girl Aria wasn't at home, (At this place, because she hated the people I was living with, she'd spend days out and about) so, under the pre-text that the person I was living with would pick her up and bring her to my new place when she came back, I moved out. A week later, the person came to visit after I'd settled in, and said she saw my cat, and didn't bother to catch her for me. Aria must have come back thinking I was still at that residence, realised I wasn't, left, and sadly never came back. I was absolutely broken and angry at this person. (I'm still not over it, because I found out years later that she died.) I waited for years, hoping that Aria would come back to the house, and be able to come home. I cried every night for a looong time, but after such a long time of waiting, and nothing, nothing except a huge void in my heart, I decided to adopt a new kitten. My partner and I adopted Anna, and it took me a LONG time to get used to her, and in a way, I was hoping that she could be a 'replacement' for Aria, and I was a bit bummed when Anna ended up nothing like her. I've now accepted that, no matter how many cats I have, there will never be another Aria, and that Anna is her own cat, and I love her in a completely different way. I now have 3 cats, and the void of not having Aria around is still very much there, but I feel oddly comforted by the fact that I'll see her again, and I know she'll be waiting.

I can't tell you if your cat will come home. I hope he does, because I don't wish this kinda pain on anyone. It's the worst kind of pain, especially given that you don't know where he is, or if he's okay. Please don't pass up the opportunity to help another cat that needs someone because you're worried about your missing cat coming home and feeling abandoned. If he does come home, there's a chance that he'll grow to like the new edition eventually. If he doesn't come home, not to say this to override the absolute pain you will be feeling, but at least you'll know that you helped a cat that needed it, and let me tell you, it's entirely likely that the kitten will know this, and be forever grateful to you for it. Please keep us updated on what you decide to do, or if your cat comes home. Fingers crossed he does!

heartintx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 7-month-old kitty has been missing for 2 weeks today. he literally vanished in about a 3-hour time frame in the middle of the day. I have never cried so much over our Zeke. We found him when he was days old and bottle fed him. It hurts so much not knowing what happened to him. I still have hope but I am scared coyotes got him. It is the worse feeling.