My cat went crazy!

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was laying on her side with her stomach exposed on my bed. I started petting her, not thinking much of it. All of a sudden my cat latches on to my hand with all four paws with her claws and biting me. She drew blood on my hand. What got into her? She doesn't normally do this. How can I be sure she doesn't do this again? Thanks.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats are sensitive to being petted on their belly and it can trigger latching on, kicking and biting. Its not necessarily hostile, it can be more "dont do that" or playful. Basically, the belly tickles, and they think you are playing. Some cats this isn't much of an issue, but I've found it pretty common.

If you were only petting familiar safe areas, it will be something else, but since you specifically mentioned stomach exposed and your not thinking about what you were doing, I'm wondering if its a belly issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I might of petted her belly. I can't remember what I did exactly.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats probably it then. For many cats, its like tickling them. My wife does it on purpose then yanks her hand away. I don't approve and mock her when she gets scratched, but it doesn't seem to do any real harm. I also dont especially approve of doing it with an oven mitt or sock on, but its safer and you might both enjoy it. My concern is always what behaviors it might encourage, but eh, not such a big deal. I definitely dont approve of doing it with your hand under blankets, because that definitely encourages them to view moving blankets as a game, which makes it hard to sleep with them, but some people do that too.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Many cats are sensitive to being petted on their belly and it can trigger latching on, kicking and biting. Its not necessarily hostile, it can be more "dont do that" or playful.
I completely agree! Our last cat did this shortly after we adopted her and needless to say it was the last time we ever petted her on her stomach again. :nono: