My cat WENT CRAZY, help 😪

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello guys

my cat Adam is a siberian/Scottish, 15 months, male. Always been playful in the morning, I always played with him. Then would sleep whole day till dinner.

Since 8 months old, he started meowing loud, staring out of the window and humping the blanket.
Just few minutes of these "hormonal" behavior a day. Rest of the day, super calm and sleepy.

3 weeks ago I decided to neuter him because I know it's better for their health and it would cut those hormonal behaviors off.

Surgery and post surgery went well.

After 1 week of normal behaviors, he started meowing louder, being nervous and agitated, you can tell from his face. When he has his zoomies, they are way crazier than before. But most of all he meows a lot, deep loud meowing. And if before he would be awake and playful for the first 2-3 hours of the day only, now he has this agitated state until lunch. 5-6 hours of agitation

I can't even recognize him :(

I called the vet and I'll hear back from him but I'm sure there will be no much infos about this.

anybody has a thought about this ?

I'm really worried. He is agitated. And I have to say that it's really stressful to deal with him being that I work from home and we share a 700sf area.

infinitely thankful to those who would help

Gonna throw just some more infos and theories:

- maybe he still has testosterone in his body but now he is not releasing it cause he does not have the humping behavior and this agitates him ?

- i used Feliway diffuser for the first time around 8 days ago, and since then he has been the most agitated ever...but honestly I installed it when he already showed signs of agitation so it shouldn't be the cause....for sure it's not calming him tho, it's now unplugged

- maybe I made a big mistake in neutering him at 15 months of age when he was at his peak of hormones and sexual maturity ? Unfortunately we had to deal with digestive issues in the prior months and this delayed the neutering....I never had the sense of urgency cause besides the humping thing, he never sprayed or marked the territory

- five days after the surgery, he had a bit of loose stool, so I took the chance and switched to a food I was looking for a while...the Rawz Rabbit...he loved it, stool was ok....but what if Rabbit is too "wild" ? Plus I know that poultry has a calming effect because of tryptophan....he had poultry/chicken his all life except for this 10 days

Here it is

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. None of your extra info and theories ring any bells with me. I'd be more inclined to think there is something going on around/outside your home - such as another cat looming in the area during those morning hours and he can sense the cat's presence. Or, construction nearby that his upsetting him. Things of that nature. It can be something you take for granted, or are unaware of, that is a much bigger deal to him.

You also can't rule out pain, although I don't know why that would be occurring only in the morning hours. When do you feed him - in the morning, or not until lunch? It could be the dietary change combined with hormonal changes that is causing him to get hungry quicker/more easily.

There are other calming products you could try to give him during those hours when he is agitated - one such product is called Bach Rescue Remedy, which are drops you rub into a cat's ears. A lot of people use them to help calm/relax their cat before a vet visit. However, not all calming products work on all cats, so you might have to experiment with a few to see which one would work for him. Just search the internet for 'cat calming products.

Hopefully other members will come along soon and offer some other ideas/thoughts!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a lot of construction around but there always been since forever. The change is abruptly happened in the last 10 days after the neutering/new food/feliway.

It's evident.
The neighbors are the same as usual.

starting yesterday I rolled back to Turkey, no feliway...let's see what happens :/

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've heard here that it can take a few weeks to a few months for the testosterone to completely get out of their sysytem.

Does the rabbit have a higher protien percentage that the poultry? I notice a difference in my boys energy on the days they get some meat.

Since he seems agitated rather than excited and it's only since surgery. When petting him, check him all over to see if anywhere seems painful. With him energy level pain is not the first thought but it's good to rule it out.

Since 8 months old, he started meowing loud, staring out of the window and humping the blanket.
Was it always at the same window? Does that area still agitate him? Did you wash his blanket and that area and use an enzyme cleaner? Sometimes cats don't recognize a scent as their own. Spray some lemon scented furniture polish outside that window to discourage any other Toms that might be spraying out there.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I highly doubt it's the rabbit food. All rawz foods are high in fat and moderate in protein, and even if it was high in protein it wouldn't cause him to suddenly turn into a wild cat. My cats all eat high protein raw meat and they are not crazy, although they have their moments.

Maybe he's just regaining his energy after the surgery and needs more playtime? It's hard to tell if his behavior is excessive without a video or something.

I also wonder if it's some kind of hormonal reaction to the neuter. Definitely worth talking to the vet about it.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's the Rabbit per se....but maybe it's the "not eating poultry"?

I have read several studies saying that tryptophan (a precursor of serotonin) is high in poultry and that's calming on cats

he always had turkey only for his whole life, and then these 10 days of rabbit

about the re-gaining energy, that would make sense if it was the first week post antibiotics...now we are in the 3rd week

about the environment, his belongings, smells, all is the same, I'm 1000% certain

only new thing is feliway

PS: I live on the 42th floor, now new cats here outside lol

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he act like something that isn't there, is after him, trying to get him, or biting him?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds to me like a normal active cat. Perhaps he is more active now during the day because he is sleeping more during the night. Cats do sometimes change their sleeping and waking patterns. But being insanely active all day long is definitely something some cats do. And the howling can also be just part of his play as well.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does he act like something that isn't there, is after him, trying to get him, or biting him?
Kind of

most times he is looking around, left and right, like troubled

My neighbor has a little dog but he always had and Adam never really cared

I can't think of any other animal around cause he is indoor only, high floor

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used Feliway diffuser for the first time around 8 days ago, and since then he has been the most agitated ever...but honestly, I installed it when he already showed signs of agitation so it shouldn't be the cause....for sure it's not calming him tho, it's now unplugged
I have a very dominate male kitty, Charlie. I tried feliway when introducing some new companions, or as he calls them "intruders".

He had a fit. The Feliway made him even more agitated than he normally is. I found out afterwards that it can happen with some cats and Feliway. So I think removing the feliway in your case was a good call. Maybe that will help.

He has some similar behaviors that you've described but we've never been able to sort it fully. I really hope you have better luck.

Sorry I can't think of things to help you atm. If I do - I'll post.

XOXO

Last edited:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy makes weirdest, deep, devil’s cries when he has his zoomies sometimes. It’s weird as he’s usually the sweetest cat ever, and suddenly acts as he were staring in the horror movie. I consider this normal and enjoy watching it :) obviously I stay away though :)
Also, I noticed that my cats have more zoomies on empty stomach. So if you’ve changed Adam’s food recently, it’s possible he’s not getting as full as with his previous food? Or his previous food was too heavy for him?
Another idea: kitten sleeping almost whole day sounds off to me, is it possible that he was somehow in pain or discomfort and now, on new food, he feel more energized?
And the last one: did you play more with him more when he was younger? Is it possible that now he’s more bored and his zoomies are the consequence of it?

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he always slept from early lunch till dinner
and then from 10pm again
Yes I removed the feliway

about food, he is eating a lot

not easy to film him cause he is super fast and he goes and stop, goes and stop

Ill try to make one :)

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost sounds like feline hyperesthesia
We have a tabby that has spells of this every so often. Acts like he's covered in biting insects and can't get away from them. Acts like he sees things that aren't there and they are trying to get him, and he tries to get away. Sometimes his fur will "ripple".
We have a bobcat that gets this way as well. Usually, traced back to scents/smells. Scented trash bags, Too much candle scent, Stinkbugs, and even....his own poop smell every so often. He just goes hyper zoomie crazy nuts!
It's horrible to watch, but it generally goes away within 15 minutes. If it goes on longer than that, we give them Benadryl.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Almost sounds like feline hyperesthesia
We have a tabby that has spells of this every so often. Acts like he's covered in biting insects and can't get away from them. Acts like he sees things that aren't there and they are trying to get him, and he tries to get away. Sometimes his fur will "ripple".
We have a bobcat that gets this way as well. Usually, traced back to scents/smells. Scented trash bags, Too much candle scent, Stinkbugs, and even....his own poop smell every so often. He just goes hyper zoomie crazy nuts!
It's horrible to watch, but it generally goes away within 15 minutes. If it goes on longer than that, we give them Benadryl.
Honestly this sounds really normal. All of my cats do this. I don't think Benadryl is necessary. It's just the zoomies.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly this sounds really normal. All of my cats do this. I don't think Benadryl is necessary. It's just the zoomies.
No, it's not just the zoomies. Me running through the yard chasing/playing with the kids is not the same as me running through the yard after I hit a yellow jackets nest with the weed eater.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
No, it's not just the zoomies. Me running through the yard chasing/playing with the kids is not the same as me running through the yard after I hit a yellow jackets nest with the weed eater.
From what you described it sounds normal to me. I don’t really get your analogy, cats aren’t humans. :dunno:

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds regular, yeah. Cats are weirdos, you gotta remember that.
My dads cat started to have zoomies where he ran around growling and beating up anyone in his path pretty late in life (like, as in, this was past kitten phase and he was fixed ) and that habit stayed forever. My cat copied this behavior when she was little BUT him and her got into a fight and she dropped any and all things she picked up from him immediately because she holds a grudge.