my cat was spayed in july, now is 6 months old and is in heat!

suej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet told me that Zoe had her female parts in a very different order, things were pretty messed up, so I am thinking that could be why she is in heat now. I called and left messages for the vet but no answer back for two weeks.( Zoe had the surgery at the shelter where I adopted her) Zoe is so restless at night and can't be still, all the symptoms of being in heat. Is there any calming medication I can give her?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have to wait 2 weeks to get a response from the vet, or you have waited 2 weeks already? Either way, I think I would take her to a vet you plan on using long term and ask how they can check (hormones?) to see if there is reproductive tissue left behind. Also, they would likely be able to prescribe a hormone inhibitor that might help with her symptoms and calm her a bit.

I am not sure OTC calming products would help, and not all of them work on all cats, so you would have to take the time to experiment with several different ones to see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, I am new at this site and you are my first reply! I love knowing I can come here for so much information!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
To follow what you posted, I am guessing that it seems that Zoe had something like misshapen female organs and that possibly the shelter vet did not get everything that might still be causing hormonal reactions like part of an ovary? Absolutely, if you can afford it, get to a local vet who will be more invested in their patients and who can advise you. As FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said, calming aids are one thing (and none ever worked for my properly fixed cats in other instances, just saying) but if you are facing hormones they will be completely useless. Shelter vet may not be a bad one, although I would take a dim view of this, but depending on the circumstances they could be in a MASH type situation where they are doing the best they can, the fastest they can.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S suej : Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry though it's little Zoe's unexpected heat cycle that brought you here. :alright: It does sound as though the vet who did her spay and noticed her "messed up" female parts must have missed some ovarian tissue which is now causing her to go into heat.

Since he's not returning your calls, I would try contacting other vets and telling them what's going on with Zoe. You might even consider looking into a vet teaching hospital where they might be more familiar with her unusual situation. There are also feline only vets.

If you want to look into cat only vets, here a link to search for one in your area. Just be sure you choose "Feline Only" in the Practice Type Drop Down menu.

Find a Veterinarian and Practice | The Cat Community

Good luck. Please keep us updated. And do consider posting a pic of her. We love pictures. :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post | TheCatSite