My cat wants nothing to do with humans

Pabianacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
8 months ago my wife and myself adopted a cat that was mistreated by her previous owner. She has been hiding under the sofa since she got home, we have tried playing with her, talking to her, offer treats and no matter what she refuses to came out. She comes out at night when we are asleep to play, eat, use the litter box and look through the window.

Once in a while I lift up the sofa to make her come out and try to make her get used to our presence. Once she is out she hides immediately under a piece of furniture. No matter how calm, gentle or soft you try to approach her she runs away.

We will really appreciate any advise you guys can give on how we can make her feel more comfortable around us.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When I adopted by Willow as a one year old which was nine years ago, she was also terrified of people. She still pretty much is of strangers but has warmed, very very slowly to me. That your girl will come out to eat, play and use the litterbox is a great sign. You just need to let her decide when she is ready for more contact with you.

Unfortunately every time you try to force interaction, like lifting the sofa, you set her back and make her more fearful of you. What you need to do instead is to ignore her until she lets you know she is interested in more. I would try sitting or laying on the floor when you know she is hiding in the room since you are less scary and threatening when you are at her level. You can set out a treat for her not to force her to come out for it but just so she associates you with something positive.

If you are patient and put her in charge of your relationship she will eventually come out. It might take another eight months or it could happen next week.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sitting on the floor is a great way to interact with a fearful cat. THINK how big you look to her, and her experiences before you were bad. In addition to just sitting there, try talking softly to her or reading aloud in a gentle voice. Don't try to make eye contact, or move in her direction. Just...be. And allow her to just be.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with both of the above members, time and patience are the key. Instead of lifting the sofa maybe try putting some toys out for her. Don't necessarily try to interact with her and the toys but see if they get her attention. When we adopted our present cat who also came from a bad situation I sat on the floor with a book, played some soft music and did not look or make eye contact with him. Eventually it worked and I hope the same will happen for you.

Here are two excellent Articles that may have some helpful information for you:
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Best of luck! Thank you for adopting the kitty and giving her a forever home. :thanks:

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In addition to what the others said, a regular feeding schedule helped out two scaredy cats. No free feeding or auto feeders, but at set times each day (and try to be punctual) make sure the cat sees you put a bowl of yummy food down near the sofa. Then walk away and pick it up a half hour later. Lather rinse repeat 3-4 times a day and make sure you say the cat's name in a friendly voice to cue them, e.g. "kitty cat, yummies". Eventually they will associate you with good things. Basically for awhile they just need to see that you are there to care for them, provide them delicious nourishment, and mean them no harm.

You can also get a spoon and put some yummy treat in it (baby food, freeze dried meat, or mine love tiki stix), then extend the spoon under the sofa. You can even try to tie something to extend the handle longer if needed. Eventually kitty will start taking the treat, then slowly move your hand a bit closer each day. Eventually you won't need the spoon and they will take the treat or food from your hand.

When in the room with the cat under the sofa try soft music, speak softly and lay down. You'll be less threatening to them on the ground. Avoid direct eye contact as well.

It takes patience but it is so special when they finally do trust you :)

Good luck!

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That sounds heartbreaking, that she is so scared still. You are a good owner and she will eventually open up. I'm sorry that you are waiting so long for her to trust you. It will happen! Good luck.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't had such experience but in addition to the great advice above, I'd like to stress the power of sound. No one, including cats can resist a soft flattering mention of themselves. Minish literally melts in pleasure when no one tries to scoop her up break her comfort but pet her with their voices.