My cat tried to bite me so i yelled at her..

Shajix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Uhm ok so i have a phobia of cats, but my mom really wanted a cat so i decided to be strong for her and we got a little ragdoll at 8 months. i was scared at first but i really warmed up to her and i cant imagine life without my little angle. we've had her now for 6 months but suddenly today i was just walking down the stairs and she followed me, nothing unusual, but then she kinda laid on the stair and i couldnt get past so i decided to just go back up again when she RAN behind me and grabbed my leg and opened her mouth to bite, i was of course TERRIFIED and i shook my leg and yelled, really loudly. she backed off and just stared at me but my fear of cats may have made me overreact but its been about 20 minutes since shes done that and she came to my room asking for love, i cant help but feel scared so i shoo'd her away. i do love her to bits and ill get over it but why on earth did she do that? shes also peed twice in the corner of my room then scratches my rug (she is spayed). so i would just love to know why shes doing this, and how i can say sorry to her?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Young cats (all really, but especially young) can decide that pouncing a leg (or arm) and biting a bit is a fun game at any time, seemingly randomly. A loud "no!" is a good response, but actually outright yelling is too much. She isn't holding a grudge, so just move forward and do better next time.

Tell us more about how the cat's litterboxs and litterbox use. When did she pee in the corner? How did you clean it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shajix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Young cats (all really, but especially young) can decide that pouncing a leg (or arm) and biting a bit is a fun game at any time, seemingly randomly. A loud "no!" is a good response, but actually outright yelling is too much. She isn't holding a grudge, so just move forward and do better next time.

Tell us more about how the cat's litterboxs and litterbox use. When did she pee in the corner? How did you clean it?
ah thank you, i will not try to yell next time i was just really suprised, she still uses her litterbox, its a good size for her because shes a very large cat so we got her a bigger litterbox which she would be comfortable in and she does use it daily but in the past week shes just peed twice and only early in the morning. i have these carpet cleaning wipes that i used but my carpet is really dark so i couldnt see if it got rid of the stain or not but the smell definetely went

Shajix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As A ArtNJ commented, why she did it is because it's how young cats play.

Next time she comes looking to be loved on, do so :)

Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

Have you had her in to a vet? Do you clean the litter box(es) daily ?
i will ^-^ we havent been to the vet in about 2-3 months, last time we went was for her to get nuetered and that was difficult enough because of the virus so most vets were closed.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason Furballsmom Furballsmom asked is because a UTI is always something to think about when accidents start. However, only twice, especially if its in the same spot, wouldn't send me to the vet just yet.

(1) the wipe probably didn't get the smell out, so there is still a big ole smell bullseye there. Have to shell out a few extra dollars to get an enzyme cleaner. You can find them in the pet aisle of pretty much anyplace you buy cat food.

(2) if its just the one spot, after you clean and it drys, another trick is to put a litter box there. At least for a little bit, to make sure there is no habit of going in that spot or if there was, you squashed it;

(3) you might try cleaning more or adding another litter box. No idea if its necessary, but some cats can be persnickety sometimes. Usually there are some clues that this might be the issue, but its not like it could hurt to clean more for a bit.

If you do this and you get accidents in a new spot, then its time to head to the vet to rule out a UTI.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had two cats in my life who engaged in the wrapping of paws around my ankle while gently biting, and I absolutely loved it. I guarantee that she would not have hurt you. Please go easy on her because she is just a baby and has no idea of what she did to cause your anger.

Shajix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had two cats in my life who engaged in the wrapping of paws around my ankle while gently biting, and I absolutely loved it. I guarantee that she would not have hurt you. Please go easy on her because she is just a baby and has no idea of what she did to cause your anger.
your right, i feel really bad but she had never done it before so i was really surprised. if it happens again ill just bite my tongue and not yell again.