My cat trained me!? Odd things our cats do!!

Chibi-Miki13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Binx has a toy she loves that is a mouse with a bell in it. If she wants loves she walks into the room we are in with it, makes the bell ring and trills. We speak to her and she comes to get love. It seems she has trained us to respond to a bell!! She tries to wake us up with it every day too. She may be somewhat shy but she found a way to "ask" for attention!!

My other two are super clingy and silly in their own ways too but I want to hear how other cats show who they are in unusual ways!! I may share about the others if I get comments~ <3:purr:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chibi-Miki13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Krieg likes to lay on you and softly raise his paw to touch your face. He sometimes lays ON your face too lol

Lusi often comes when I call her like a dog! If I look around and have no kitties I make a noise and Lusi usually runs to me!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Barley has trained me that once he comes into the kitchen, sits in front of his food bowl - that means he is hungry. He won’t meow or anything. Just sits there, almost not moving, and wait for me to pick up his cue.

Bourbon is very particular about the litter box. She will get my attention, leads me to the litter box of her choice, than stares up at me with a kind of look that only I would probably understand. That means she needs to go potty but won’t do it unless I scoop/clean anything inside.

I always obey their commands.

I have been trained well. 😂

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Because of her health/flea issues earlier this year, Feeby (15+ yo) has learned that squawking is the key to everything! Although she has mostly recovered, she no longer eats at her kitchen feeding station - instead her majesty spends most of her day on her window perch and squawks when she is hungry, expecting me to bring her food to her. And, so I do!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista gets easily distracted when she’s eating. Most of the time, she’d rather spend time with me than eat. It’s sweet. But sweet doesn’t put the weight back on. She’s trained me that once I plate her food, I’d better leave her to it until she pulls up. Most of the time that means hiding in the kitchen until she comes to seek me out.

We’ve trained each other than the best place for her food is near the front door. That’s because on her way to or from all her other spots, she has to pass this one. Also it’s visible from her tree, her “when are you coming home?” spot near the door, and the bed which is in the front room because of her too. If she constantly sees her food, at least some of the time she will stop by and eat some.

If I don’t do the dishes, she will. If I don’t clean the stove top, she will. She’s trained me to keep a clean kitchen.

When she wants to play, she will sit in front of the closet door that I used to keep her toys in. I used to open the door and given enough time, she would fetch her toy and bring it out. Now I pick up on the cue and save us both the time and trouble. She’s 15 with arthritis and she still requests several play sessions a day. They don’t last more than a minute or two. But as long as she still asks for them, I will still indulge her. I have chronic pain myself and know that exercise is often the best medicine. Or distraction.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow gets a snack every night about 8:00 in her “treat bottle”, which is a plastic water bottle with holes in it so she has to roll it to shake out a piece of cat food. If I forget about snack time, by 8:00 she will find the empty bottle and knock it around until she gets my attention and I fill it for her.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Because of her health/flea issues earlier this year, Feeby (15+ yo) has learned that squawking is the key to everything! Although she has mostly recovered, she no longer eats at her kitchen feeding station - instead her majesty spends most of her day on her window perch and squawks when she is hungry, expecting me to bring her food to her. And, so I do!
I can almost imagine a lot of squawking going on in your house. LOL.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things my cats have taught me.

Must shuffle my feet slowly when moving thru the living room at night in the dark as greg will lie in the middle of the room, in doorways at the top of stairs and thinks I can see him in the dark.

Clean both litter boxes quickly at night as greg often waits for me to clean them before he will do his business. I dont want to keep him waiting and feeling uncomfortable.

I must sit to the left side of the recliner as arnold always gets up on the right side and I must leave room for him.

Occasionally I must turn on "kitten rescue" on netflicks for arnold as he actually watches the show.

At night, I must never reach out with my fingers extended (reaching to turn on light, pull bed sheet ect) as I have poked arnold in the eyes because he was right beside me. Always reach slowly with curled fingers.

When in bed I must make all movements slowy. Never suddenly turnover, toss a sheet off me ect. Arnold is usually sleeping beside me and I can hurt him accidently.

Every night before bed, I must remember the boys are waiting in the kitchen for 3 treats each.....dont forget.

Greg has taught me that I am no longer allowed to pick him up when its time to go in. I am to find him in the enclosure, ask him several times to come in. He will give me a disapproving look and then walk all the way back to the house in in the door. Only then am I allowed to brush him.

They have taught me to NOT CALL them more than once or twice. "We CAN hear you fine...we are just ignoring you"

Dont try to fool us by giving us single pieces of kibble and pretending they are treats.

Arnold likes a cushion on his patio chair, otherwise his feet go thru the webbing in the chair.

A 23 lb cat makes a 2 foot diameter patio table unstable.

The very best time for for a 21 pound cat to chase a ping pong ball on hardwood floors is between 2am and 4am. Especially true when the "slaves" have to get up at 5am to go to work.

When buying drapes you should buy at least one extra panel.

As soon as you close the door, your cat will want to go back in/out.

The boys will stalk and attack neighbour's dogs....... no more "meet n greet" sessions on the driveway.

The dining room table belongs to them, they may share it with us.

If the weather is bad and the boys cant go out....its my fault.

A thickly furred cat can easily outlast a shivering human in the backyard in the winter. Too bad for me.

That the love from a cat is pure, special, genuine.

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There are at least two things Carleton does that come to mind. The first is when we say, Awww, he rolls over on his back and puts his paws up knowing we will lavish him with love. :lovecat3: The second is when he wants to play he will incessantly bat his toy jingle ball in front of us to play soccer.⚽

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my former cats, devil girl and exceptionally smart Murphy, loved to have me drag a shoelace across the floor for her to catch. When she wanted to play the game she would bring the shoelace up to me and then slowly drag it back and forth across my lap until I would get down and use it for her.

Coolgram

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When Gracie wants to play and I'm not home, when I get home I often find her "fishing pole" in my bedroom and sometimes the whole thing is up on my bed, apparently she was looking for me so we can play so she brings it along. Today I had to leave the house for awhile and I could tell she wasn't happy about it, she started zooming around and trilling. My granddaughter who was here at the time said that after I left Gracie showed her annoyance by pounding her front paws on the wall several times, trilling and then zooming away. Until I got Gracie I never knew cats could display so much personality, but boy, do they ever!

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ruckus meows at me loudly and insistently, enough to cause me to worry and drop whatever I'm doing to come see him, then he walks in front of me and stops every few steps to check that I'm still following him, all the way to the kitchen and under the cabinets that stores his food.

And whenever Ruckus wants to get onto my lap, he'll walk over, sit beside my chair and give me this look. And I know...so I remove my book/laptop/arms to make room for him. He'll look at my lap, then at me again, then jump into my lap. He'll then find an a position that's most comfortable for him and sleep there.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chesterfield wants to lie on the couch behind my bent knees, only on my left side, and wearing jeans only. Doesn't like to sit against my skin if I'm wearing shorts (although he seems to tolerate sitting on a blanket more, lately). He won't lie on his right side either, only wants to lie on his left, no matter where. I just acquiesce if I want him to sit where I can pet him.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Willow is my insomni-cat. Whenever I can't sleep, she always comes out to the living room with me and keeps me company until I feel better and can go back to bed again.

It only made sense to return the favour last night when she couldn't sleep, since she refuses to leave me all alone in a dark room no matter how tired she is or how inconvenient it is for her.

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cats have been lacking their usual TLC because of holidays craziness and last night Sasha hit his limit. Mom and I played with him briefly before she went to bed and I had the audacity to claim some time for myself.

Sasha dug through the toy basket and got his most obnoxious toy (a little stuffed bird that cheeps when knocked around) and dragged it into my sleeping mother’s bedroom. Not getting an adequate response, Sasha got his ribbon, brought that into sleeping mother’s bedroom, hopped into a pile of loud crinkly tissue paper and just... cries. Sasha has perfected this two tone whining meow that sounds half like he’s a ballon losing air and half like he’s dying in a gutter.

Sleeping mother jolts awake, blames me for her being awake and demands I retrieve the cat and ‘do something’.

This is how I learned that Sasha comes before sleep, Sasha comes before quiet, Sasha comes before all things.

Also: thank god I don’t deal with Sasha every night

Attachments