My cat threw up then was running around erratically and foaming at the mouth.

NicL2479

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. My 6 month old kitty Charley threw up this morning around 6:30 a.m.. Then he was running around erratically and had white foam coming out of his mouth as he was smacking his lips and shaking his head. Soo after he settled down and stopped doing it I put him in his room for the day, checking on him every 20 minutes. He was fine all day. Then I let him out for a few hours and he started the foaming and running around thing again around 7p.m.. after he drank some clean water from his bowl. He is acting fine now. What is wrong with him and why does he keep doing this???

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
So he was fine in his room all day, with the door shut?
Then weird behavior when he was let out of his room into the rest of the house?
That almost seems environmental.
Has something changed in the house? New floors? New cleaner? New upholstery or drapes? Insect spray or other chemicals? Plants or flowers? Air freshener or diffuser?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, there is probably something in the environment which is causing a severe reaction--as in a poisoning.. You need to take him to the Vet.. ASAP...

Personally, I stopped using all scents in my apartment.. no candles, no air fresheners, no diffusers at all. Essential oils are poisonous to cats.
I even stopped using Swiffer as a floor cleaner. I use vinegar, water, a bit of Dawn, to clean the floors. Occasionally, I will use something on the counters.. My guy is not a counter surfer.

Vet Please....

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you recently put a flea treatment on them? It does sound environmental since it happened in one room. I’d take him to the vet and have him checked.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I mention this without judgement, but are there any recreational substances he might have gotten into when let out of his room?
A kitty who’s been in his room all day could let off some boredom by being a bit more exploratory when let out.
If there is anything you thought was hidden, he may have found it. Don’t be afraid to mention it to the Vet if it’s a possibility. The Vet is not law enforcement; like a medical doctor, they need to know for proper treatment.

CrazedCatLady

Owner of six cats!🐈
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. My 6 month old kitty Charley threw up this morning around 6:30 a.m.. Then he was running around erratically and had white foam coming out of his mouth as he was smacking his lips and shaking his head. Soo after he settled down and stopped doing it I put him in his room for the day, checking on him every 20 minutes. He was fine all day. Then I let him out for a few hours and he started the foaming and running around thing again around 7p.m.. after he drank some clean water from his bowl. He is acting fine now. What is wrong with him and why does he keep doing this???
Yeah, my cat did that yesterday I don't understand.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
CrazedCatLady CrazedCatLady - The OP never came back on this site after the initial post, so we likely will never know if/how they resolved the problem. Have you read through all the responses in this thread to see if any of them apply? Foaming from the mouth usually indicates ingesting something either very bad tasting or being exposed to something that may be somewhat toxic. Did your cat also throw up before the foaming occurred? All the more reason to think s/he ingested something bad.

CrazedCatLady

Owner of six cats!🐈
Kitten
Purraise
CrazedCatLady CrazedCatLady - The OP never came back on this site after the initial post, so we likely will never know if/how they resolved the problem. Have you read through all the responses in this thread to see if any of them apply? Foaming from the mouth usually indicates ingesting something either very bad tasting or being exposed to something that may be somewhat toxic. Did your cat also throw up before the foaming occurred? All the more reason to think s/he ingested something bad.
Ok. thank you.