My Cat, The Food Thief

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mr Poe is a very bad, naughty cat who steals food that isn't his.

I had made a sandwich for Himself, was about to make one for Myself. Phone call from the retired, very chatty man who used to install greenhouses, who knows someone who might replace the roof on my greenhouse, maybe even this year, asking for a little more information.

Put the lunch meat and the cheese in their respective deli packages. Put packages under the cutting board. Went to my study, located the information, finished the call. Walked back into the kitchen and . . .

plastic bag and paper are out on the counter. The roast beef is gone. Mr Poe is in the dining room, assiduously cleaning his paw.

He's always looking for more. He gets 1/2 of a 3 ounce can of Tiny Tiger four times a day, plus a chicken gizzard at dinner time. Before you ask, no, Mr Poe is not losing weight. He occasionally / infrequently will throw up in the morning before breakfast. It's like water.

He has become a beggar, will stretch up towards the counter when I'm making lunch, wants to peer in the refrigerator when I open it, walks across the desk if I'm have a bowl of yogurt and fruit for lunch in my study. Some of this is my fault - I'll maybe give both cats a scrap of ham or cheese after making sandwiches, put the bowl from yogurt on the floor after I finish. But No More! I've created a monster. Stealing my lunch is Not Acceptable!

Rant over.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
30 or so years ago when I was a very young and inexperienced new wife I had left a package of raw whole chicken legs on the counter to defrost while I was at work. My (ex) husband and I worked opposite shifts so he just left for work right before I came home. I went to make the chicken and it’s not on the counter. No biggie, I think he didn’t want chicken so he put it back in the freezer. Nope he didn’t. The next day he asks if I ate all the chicken. I told him I thought he put it back. That’s when the chicken hunt started. We found part of the package under the couch and a chewed up raw leg behind the easy chair. Yup my evil kitty stole our dinner.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid I had a Manx cat that would eat mint candy out of my mother's candy dish whenever someone would leave the top off.

I had a co-worker that had 25 Maine Coon cats. One night she made a cake and she left it on her dinning room table.The next morning she decided to have a piece. When she came downstairs the plastic thing she put the cake in was on the floor and there was no cake to be found. They would also eat bread and crackers whenever she left them out.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have never stolen food, but I'm reminded of two dogs.

My family's dog Sammi once stole a peanut butter sandwich, and my grandmother's dog Mamie managed to swipe an entire pumpkin pie off the counter.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie tried to steal my steak once. The plate was on the desk to the left of me. I had just taken the steak off the grill so I was letting it rest. I happened to look over and there she was. She tried to pick it up but she couldn't. Then she tried taking a bite out of it. Then she started licking the corner. When she noticed I was watching, she stood up and started yelling at me. I know what she was yelling too. "Don't just sit there! Cut me a piece!" Of course I did. They both got some. She's so shameless. :lol:

Lilith stole my scrambled eggs once. I had just made myself some scrambled eggs and toast. Just as I went to eat, a delivery was left at the door. I put the plate on the coffee table and went to get it. When I came back, she was sitting on the table eating the eggs. She had checked out the toast and decided she didn't want it so she pushed it onto the floor and our dog (who has since passed on) was inhaling the last bits of it. Lily is as shameless as her sister. :dancingblackcat:

Last edited:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are good for getting into the groceries when I come back from shopping. I have to bring it in a bag or two at a time and put it all away before I get more bags to stow. Can't even take a potty break between them, either. Particularly prized by the cats are loaves of bread and cold cuts. Thieving little pig-o-lets!

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was stationed at RAF Woodbridge in the UK. I rented a house for my soon bride to be, that came with a half-grown ginger kitten I named Mischief. Believe me, he earned his name.

I flew back to the States for two weeks to get married and left Mischief with an NCO who offered to take care of him while I was gone. When I returned with my new wife, the NCO regaled me with a story of Mischief and a roast beef. It seems his wife left the roast beef on the table to rest and when she returned, she found Mischief in its place, laying contentedly on his back, belly stretched to its limit and the roast beef nowhere to be found.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
These stories are hilarious. One of my cats are like that, Barley.
Never leave food on the table, nuh ah.

My cats have never stolen food, but I'm reminded of two dogs.
We have 2 shihtzu brothers who stole my late mother's false teeth which she forgot at the sink. We had to bring the dogs for xray after that.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now my cats have taken to pulling out the basket on the air fryer to see if they can get to the grease. I keep finding it out on the counter. Don't know which one(s) are doing it nor if they're actually getting any grease, although I suspect they have as the behavior is continuing. Those piglets are driving me nuts. I suppose I'll have to put it in the dishwasher every time I use it.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol:i shouldnt laugh but the stories are funny might jinx my self luckily graycie only poes her head into the fridge looking for her own foodcanned tuna is her thing though long as she gets her cut when i make tuna sandwhiches all is good and she leaves me alone:lol:feels like an extortion racket

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But No More! I've created a monster. Stealing my lunch is Not Acceptable
[/QUOTE]
I know the feeling I created quite a monster myself. Casper is always interested in finishing my ice cream or milk from cereal, pieces of meat etc. it’s gotten to the point where he just sits next to me and paws at my hand while I’m eating I literally have to push him away. Hard to get mad at him when it’s my own fault though 😂