My cat suddenly seems to hate me :(

Charlielouise89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone... this is my first time on this site so hoping someone could share some thoughts... So I have a house cat, who has always been my little buddy. Like my little best mate. She is going to be 2 end of this month. She’s always been so affectionate, cuddly, purring all the time, greets me when I get home from work. She also had a routine of getting into bed and going under the covers for a cuddle in the night. And when waking up in the morning I literally couldnt even start getting ready till she’d had her morning cuddle.. (she would snuggle up in my shoulder and wouldn’t let me put her down for a good 10 minutes)
She’s never been that bothered about my partner but has always tolerated him when he came over. Occasionally come on the sofa with us and cuddle up - though it was more toward me than him. Anyway... I’ve moved into my boyfriends house recently. (Just over 2 weeks ago) and it’s a much much bigger house than my old apartment (which was super small) and my cat has not given me a cuddle once, she spends all her time sleeping on our bed, and when I do try and give her the rubs and cuddles she usually loves she walks away. She’s been getting really aggressive on occasion aswell. I’m absolutely gutted. I’ve brought a feliway thing aswell which doesn’t seem to have made much difference. Is it the move?? As she was absolutely fine before this... do you think it’s just time that will take her to get used to it. On a side note me and the cat stayed at my boyfriends for 2 weeks over Christmas while his then Tenant was in Australia and I’ve never seen my cat so happy.. to the point she actually sulked at me when I took her back to my old place.. so it’s not like it’s a totally unknown environment. She was really happy here in December. Other things to point out that may be relevant.. my boyfriend is doing up the house (just odd jobs here and there) which may be irritating her.. also the fact that with this lockdown.. neither of us have left the house and are here 24/7 with the cat.. could this be getting on her nerves? As before I started working from home I was at work everyday and the cat used to get so excited when I came back... now it’s like she’s a different pet, it feels like she absolutely hates me and I’m absolutely devastated :(
Sorry for such a long post.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry though for the reason that brought you here. I'm thinking your cat is probably just dealing with all the changes in her life, including the move, the work around the house, and her humans being around 24/7. Hopefully she'll get back to her normal self soon. Of course, if she stops eating or has litter box issues, or seems unwell, do consult with your vet.

TCS has an article on cats and stress that might be helpful: Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide

There's also these 2, which don't actually apply to your situation, but might have useful tips:
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way | TheCatSite
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home | TheCatSite

And lastly:
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me | TheCatSite

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, yep, yep...another echo! This is almost certainly because of the move. Your cat has lost her territory very suddenly, and it will take more than two weeks for her to feel comfortable again. I think you'll see her slowly getting back to normal over the next...oh, say, month. Cats are slow, unless they are outrageously confident, to adjust to rapid, drastic changes such as moving house.