My cat suddenly has dry litter stick in between her paws?

littlefluffytab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I brought my cat home from the vets on Friday. She had a urinalysis, whatever that involves. I also changed her litter over and gave her 2 fresh new boxes. I used the Superstore noname brand which I have used before, actually I have used multiple clumping cat litter brands and have never had a problem. Since cleaning her boxes out she has been having all this cat litter clumping in between her toes and onto her pads on her back paws. She had a blood panel done at the vets (currently awaiting results) and she takes BIG pees. Maybe she is getting some pee on her feet and the litter is clumping to it? Just so weird this is so sudden, especially after getting her home from the vets. Or maybe it was a bad batch of litter that doesn't clump all that well? Are any of these possibilities?

Also, how the heck do I get this stuff off my poor baby? Its like cement. She is also not very tolerant of me touching her feet. I need a quick and easy solution. I would really like to avoid taking her back to the vets any time soon. :-/

Thanks! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlefluffytab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh! Also, I filled the litter boxes higher than I usually do. I took some out of both boxes tonight hoping that helps. If too much litter has anything to do with it?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I would have thought too little litter would be more likely to cause litter sticking to paws as when the cat digs and pees there it is more likely to pool on the bottom of the tray and then paws get wet and litter will stick.  Sounds like not great litter, possibly agravated by large amounts of pee that she is producing just now.  I would go back to what ever litter you were using before or try another brand.

In terms of cleaning the cement off her paws, (poor fur baby), if she won't tollerate her paws being touched, could she be conned in to stepping in to / playing with a ping pong ball or similar in a body temperature shallow pool of water, either in a sink or in the bath?  Even a short stand in about 1/2 " to 1 " of body temperature water in a sink or baby bath / tray would help I'm sure.  Stand in then quick but gentle towel rub.....  You know your cat and how she is likely to respond.

mishicats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I had this problem after one of my kitties returned from the vet. She was groggy and when she used the litter box she stepped in her pee. Both front paws were caked with dried on litter. I filled a bucket with warm water, had the hubby hold her while I stuck her paws in the water and slowly  rubbed them to unlodge the litter. It took awhile, and she was not very happy, but it worked. Good luck

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with both MServant and Mishicats. Maybe use a feather wand toy or something of the like and gently lead her into the water. Speak softly and start wiping between her paws with a soft towel- if she tries to get out, pet her and coax her back in. Poor kitty- hope it works!