My cat stepped in roofing bull

kdixon2711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat stepped in roofing bull and it has to be cleaned off but the only product I'm aware of that will actually remove bull is WD40 and that stuff can be very poisonous. Any tips, other than Dawn (didn't work) would be appreciated.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not knowing what roofing bull is, I just googled it and found a thread on a DIY forum on how to remove it from your roof. The answers there were to scrape it off with a putty knife or use solvents. These are not good answers for your situation.

Having worked at Home Depot in the paint department where I sold all of the solvent type chemicals, I will say that you can't use any of them without poisoning your cat. Don't care if you put the solvent on then washed the solvent off with Dawn, you will poison your cat.

But the putty knife led me down a path of thinking that you may need to cut it out of his fur, and to do that you may need to take him to a vet and sedate him to get it all off. Shaving/cutting may be the answer.

The other thought is to call the manufacturer of the roofing bull you were using and ask them this question. I suspect they will tell you to take him to a vet for removal.

We would love to hear what you finally do for this! Sending good luck vibes your way! :vibes:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not sure exactly what is in roofing bull, but I think it's the black tarry stuff that's used to seal around vents, etc.
Years ago I got into some tar on the roof (don't ask :rolleyes2:) and my mother used Crisco to soften it so she could wipe it off my skin. I probably had some in my hair as well, and I don't remember having to get it cut out.
Anyway, it couldn't hurt to try it. If it does work you'll still have to bathe the kitty in Dawn to get rid of the grease afterward.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kdixon2711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Turns out Olive Oil works great, not as good as WD40 would but then again WD40 is poisonous.