My cat sometimes leaves a smelly stain

Catffromcanada

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the second time this has happened. My act leaves a fishy smelling stain from her bum area and there is sometime a little solid yellow in it. She then licks her bum and even the couch where she left the stain and goes about her business. Please view photos if anyone has experienced this please let me know
00FB50D2-0FF9-4D89-B98F-E2CA82C3E3FD.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catffromcanada

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the second time this happened. First was like 10 months ago and my cat is 1.5 year old female

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she is eating and drinking fine, and otherwise acting OK, it could be anal gland secretions. They are very smelly, and normally dark in color, but I suppose if they are becoming infected that might cause the yellow-ish coloring. That would require a vet visit and possibly a manual gland expression by the vet. If they think the glands are infected, they will likely prescribe an antibiotic.

She may have cleaned herself enough to cause expression of the anal glands with the previous incident, and perhaps it alleviated the potential infection. But I would not count on it resolving itself again.

I think to be on the safe side, have her looked at by a vet. Perhaps call them and ask if you should collect the 'stuff' to take to them to examine.

Catffromcanada

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is eating and drinking and acting fine. Thanks for your reply. I will keep an eye on this

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like anal gland secretions. Normally the glands are expressed as the cat poops but sometimes they leak a little and you find smelly brown spots and sometimes gunk on whatever your cat was just sitting on. You can have the vet check the glands and empty them if needed. This is something you can do at home if you ask the vet to show you how.

Catffromcanada

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know what I added coconut point out to my cats diet I let her lick of my finger. And her school is much softer maybe the stool is not big enough or hard enought to cause natural expeession

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know what I added coconut point out to my cats diet I let her lick of my finger. And her school is much softer maybe the stool is not big enough or hard enought to cause natural expeession
Is there a pattern/connection between these two incidents and her getting the coconut oil? If not, then that is probably not the reason. Why are you giving her coconut oil?

Catffromcanada

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there a pattern/connection between these two incidents and her getting the coconut oil? If not, then that is probably not the reason. Why are you giving her coconut oil?
I thought som healthy fats would be good for her. The stool is definetely much softerr with the coconut oil. Actually both times she did this leaving stain thing, she was sleeping and she woke up and meowed. Maybe she was having a bad dream and it makes her do this :-)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought som healthy fats would be good for her. The stool is definetely much softerr with the coconut oil. Actually both times she did this leaving stain thing, she was sleeping and she woke up and meowed. Maybe she was having a bad dream and it makes her do this :-)
Nope, I would not assume any dreaming has anything to do with this. Since there is no 'real' purpose in giving her the coconut oil, just try not doing so. If she is being fed nutritionally complete cat food, there probably is no redeeming value with what you are doing.