My cat Socks died today of kidney failure.

reddice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems that it gets more painful everytime this happens.  I always grew up with cats.  I had three cats which lived a long life up to 18 years old and when they passed away it was sudden.

Now since I got two cats in 2002 and the first one Tiger died of accident a week before Christmas and we had him for 4 years. I greave and cried.  Well after the pain the holidays were not bad because I always had Socks which was a true family pet.

Well he lived a long life if you call 14 years long which I don't and for the past year he has been getting skinnier and his once black fur was turning brownish gray.  I wanted to take him to the vet but everyone says he is okay and behaving fine.  He was fine.  Well like the other pets I had I know people who had a few weeks before his passing he caught 5 mice which before he did not bother when he got older.  Then this week he visited everyone my uncle downstairs my mother and upstairs with me and my Grandmother.

I bought him upstarts the other day and he seemed weaker as he was not walking good.  Well the next day he was walking worse.  He was walking where his front legs were curved and the back legs were flat instead of upright.  So we bought him to the emergency vet which was a ripoff.  The vet said that he needed fluids and food feed to him though a tub. He had to stay in the vet hospital for about 3 to 5 days.  I asked the vet is there anything wrong with his kidneys and the vet said we can't tell you unless you admit him for a x-ray and cat scan in the vet hospital and it would come out to over $5000 which we can't afford.  We elected to take him home after saying he wanted to be euthanize but then he went back into his cage wanting to go home.  We bought him home.

He again staid in the middle bed would not eat or drink.  Also he was vomiting red type liquid.  We were having regrets if we should let him die and home or euthanize him so we made a appointment with our own local vet.  He told us if I can remember that his heart was only at about 150bpm and that one of his kidneys were gone and the other was at 14 where 25 is gone.  If we were to have him admitted he would live only a week to about 2 months.

What made it hard was getting him euthanize even though we promised him to die at home.  Doing research and our local vet unlike the hospital quake vet said he is and will be in pain.  That kidney failure is painful to cats at the end.  Also looking at how skinny with dust, odor of his usually clean body, constant sleeping, no eating or drinking and not walking we had him euthanize.  The problem his we promised him to bring him home.  We all said goodby and I picked him up and kissed him just like the same day I picked him out from the vet and said goodby forever.  I tried not to cry but I could not help it.

I am still sad once again now our only pet dies a week before Christmas.  Was it right to euthanize him or let him die and home and possibly suffer.?

He was the pet cat that acted more like a human and let anyone pet him even strangers.  I will never find another cat like him.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It seems that it gets more painful everytime this happens.  I always grew up with cats.  I had three cats which lived a long life up to 18 years old and when they passed away it was sudden.

Now since I got two cats in 2002 and the first one Tiger died of accident a week before Christmas and we had him for 4 years. I greave and cried.  Well after the pain the holidays were not bad because I always had Socks which was a true family pet.

Well he lived a long life if you call 14 years long which I don't and for the past year he has been getting skinnier and his once black fur was turning brownish gray.  I wanted to take him to the vet but everyone says he is okay and behaving fine.  He was fine.  Well like the other pets I had I know people who had a few weeks before his passing he caught 5 mice which before he did not bother when he got older.  Then this week he visited everyone my uncle downstairs my mother and upstairs with me and my Grandmother.

I bought him upstarts the other day and he seemed weaker as he was not walking good.  Well the next day he was walking worse.  He was walking where his front legs were curved and the back legs were flat instead of upright.  So we bought him to the emergency vet which was a ripoff.  The vet said that he needed fluids and food feed to him though a tub. He had to stay in the vet hospital for about 3 to 5 days.  I asked the vet is there anything wrong with his kidneys and the vet said we can't tell you unless you admit him for a x-ray and cat scan in the vet hospital and it would come out to over $5000 which we can't afford.  We elected to take him home after saying he wanted to be euthanize but then he went back into his cage wanting to go home.  We bought him home.

He again staid in the middle bed would not eat or drink.  Also he was vomiting red type liquid.  We were having regrets if we should let him die and home or euthanize him so we made a appointment with our own local vet.  He told us if I can remember that his heart was only at about 150bpm and that one of his kidneys were gone and the other was at 14 where 25 is gone.  If we were to have him admitted he would live only a week to about 2 months.

What made it hard was getting him euthanize even though we promised him to die at home.  Doing research and our local vet unlike the hospital quake vet said he is and will be in pain.  That kidney failure is painful to cats at the end.  Also looking at how skinny with dust, odor of his usually clean body, constant sleeping, no eating or drinking and not walking we had him euthanize.  The problem his we promised him to bring him home.  We all said goodby and I picked him up and kissed him just like the same day I picked him out from the vet and said goodby forever.  I tried not to cry but I could not help it.

I am still sad once again now our only pet dies a week before Christmas.  Was it right to euthanize him or let him die and home and possibly suffer.?

He was the pet cat that acted more like a human and let anyone pet him even strangers.  I will never find another cat like him.
I am very sorry for all your losses.  It never does get any easier because we have been there before.  Our baby's are never with us long enough and none of us is ever ready to say goodbye.  You did everything you could for Socks because you love him.  You made a very difficult decision because you did not want your baby to suffer.  I personally believe that you made the right decision for Socks to not let him suffer longer so he could pass away at home. Socks felt your love when you said goodbye to him.  The bond you shared with Socks can never be broken.  A piece of his love will always live on in a special place in your heart through the memories of the times you shared together.  Socks has taken a peace of your love with him to light his way to the rainbow bridge.  Socks is now an angel watching over you. I share your tears and offer you hugs during this difficult time. 

romeo911

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know what you are going through and my thoughts and prayers are with you I lost Romeo today at 12:35 . All I can think of is how is little skinny face looked when I seen the life leave him. But he is not suffering no more and Socks is not suffering. You are in my thoughts , there is nothing better the unconditional love and we both had that for a time. Bless you during this time of sorry

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reddice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. He was not just my pet but the entire family loved him.  He was the only cat that liked all people in the family and even welcomed strangers.  I can't believe how 14 years went so fast.  Picking him out when he was young and vibrant and then 14 years later saying goodbye the same way looking at him old, grayer and very sick is something I won't want to deal with again.

Also getting another cat because we have mice that start to come out it seems like doing a dishonor since he was the boss of the house and loved people but disliked any other pets.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is completely normal to grieve and feel the emptiness in your heart and your home. Fourteen years of his presence and love was a wonderful gift, and I'm sure he loved you above all others for giving him such a wonderful life. You could not have let him suffer, the time was there, the signs were there, he didn't want to leave but he had to. Don't ever regret not spending thousands to keep him alive, thousands would never bring back complete health and a cure, it just buys a little time and prolongs the suffering a little longer.

He took a piece of your heart to comfort himself along his new path, but he also left a little of his heart behind to remind you of his love and what you shared. The bond between the two can never be taken from you, use it and your precious memories to comfort yourself.

You actually did bring him home, you carry him in your heart now, he will be 'home' wherever you are now. What you have left after the physical body is done, is the spiritual bond that is a part of your very being, it is eternal.

Your boy would never want you to be so sad when remembering him, live your life as you would want for him if you were the first to go. Not in sadness and grief, but in celebration of having him share your life for a while, to have know his love and what he brought to your family. To have known him at all. You shared something that not everyone does. It is unique and priceless and no, can never be duplicated. But like a mother with many children, there can be several loves in your heart and life. He would be honored if you would pass on his love to another little one who so desperately needs a home and family.  Pass on his legacy of love that he left for you and do it in his name. You will be blessed for your caring and love, my heart breaks for what you are going through........ RIP beautiful Socks, you left a mark on this world and on a family's life, you will be so very missed but never forgotten, May the mice at the Rainbow Bridge be fat and many, may your love be sent back when those you love need some comfort, sleep tight, sweet Prince! 

reddice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't stop randomly crying.  I have so many pictures of him even on my profile pages which I tearfully had to change even here.  Walking around the house I see all the places he use to go to but the most painful is that middle bed where he went to die next to the big white teddy bear.  Even after taking a shower and looking at my dirty cloths black top and white underwear I though he was there and started to cry again.

I feel terrible I am surprised I can still sleep and eat but I feel like I am going to vomit and I don't care one bit about the holidays anymore.  I was always a big holiday fan and I am not even going to decorate my room.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry to hear that Socks has passed away.  Making the decision to euthanize is so difficult, but there is  no question that you made the right decision.   He was suffering and you spared him from going through any more.  He could only love you even more than he did already for looking out for him at the end.  I understand what you mean about the holidays - my dear Milo passed away on December 11th and I didn't celebrate Christmas or New Years at all that year.  I hope some day you will be comforted by your happy memories - it's obvious there were a lot of them.  He sounds like he was a very special little guy who won the hearts of everyone he met.  Perhaps at some point, it will help you to write about him.  I found that by writing about Milo, I could experience again the feeling of our bond.   For now, it is a time to grieve and do not let anyone tell you Socks was "just" a cat.  Most of us here know the deep pain of losing one of these dear furry little beings.  My heart goes out to you.  

RIP Socks  

reddice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone in our house loved Socks and no one says that however one of my annoying aunt, uncle and cousins are coming for the holidays (not the other aunt and uncle which love all pets lost 3 cats and 1 dog all sudden too), they never liked cats and they will say something like that and I will want tell them off.  He is not just a cat.  I use to tell him all the time "You are not just a cat.  You are more than a cat".  I said that to him earlier this week before he got really sick.

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
He was beautiful, really beautiful.   You have nothing to feel guilty about.  You did the best you could, and that was far more than a lot of people do for their cats.  

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
So very sad to read this about your little one Socks, but you gave him a wonderful life and have no regrets, you loved him and he loved you and he unfortunately came to the end of his Earthly life, but he lives on again at the Rainbow Bridge, and is healthy and happy and playing pain free again, and you will see him again one day down the line.

If you must cry, do it, if you must be sad, do it, if you remember something that makes you want to smile, do it, it is all part of the normal grieving process, we all know and understand how painful it is too well here, but you have no regrets, you did a wonderful thing for the little guy. 

I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....

tamu708

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss of Socks.  RIP sweet little angel.  
  He was a beautiful boy.  

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Socks sounded like a very special little guy, I am sorry you are suffering so much now. I know that your sweet boy would never want you to be be so upset and sad. RIP sweet boy, you will always be loved by your family.

reddice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why do all cats hide there sickness?  If he did not we might have been able to save him for a few years but then the vet said he had a heart problem 140bpm instead of the normal 200bpm so it might have not mattered.  What makes me cry the most is looking at that middle bed with the white teddy bear where he wanted to live out his last days and we took that from him.  I am still angry and sad over that.