My Cat Smells Weird

noon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's not quite a year old and she's fixed. When I first noticed the smell, it was after I'd gotten back after about a week or so out of town and my neighbor had been taking care of her for me. I thought maybe he'd rubbed some oil essence into her coat. I didn't mention the scent. I was just thankful he'd watched her and that she'd eaten while I was gone and he's very, very fond of her so, I assumed she'd had a pretty good time with him. She wasn't fixed when he watched her. Over the last week or so, she's smelled kind of strange. Musky is the only way I can think to describe it and it isn't over-powering, you can really only smell it if you're up close to her skin, but it's weird. And the same way she smelled after I got back from that trip. Is this a hormonal thing? I grew up with cats and they were all fixed (male and female) and I don't remember any of them having a strange odor. Do some cats just have more pungent odors? Is this an indication of some kind of illness? Again, the smell is sharp, but really only noticable if you're nose to neck with her. I did switch her food in light of recent recalls (from Wellness & Prairie to Evanger's) but she had the scent before the food change and then I really didn't notice it for probably about 4 months. If anyone has any ideas or experience, I'm eager to hear your experiences. Thanks.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of cats have their own little scent. I have had 2 orange tabbies that smelled like autumn, you know that woodsy kind of scent. My Pepper has a little musky scent to her, though it is not unpleasant or overpowering, and you have to be very close to her to smell it.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Noon

She's not quite a year old and she's fixed. When I first noticed the smell, it was after I'd gotten back after about a week or so out of town and my neighbor had been taking care of her for me. I thought maybe he'd rubbed some oil essence into her coat. I didn't mention the scent. I was just thankful he'd watched her and that she'd eaten while I was gone and he's very, very fond of her so, I assumed she'd had a pretty good time with him. She wasn't fixed when he watched her. Over the last week or so, she's smelled kind of strange. Musky is the only way I can think to describe it and it isn't over-powering, you can really only smell it if you're up close to her skin, but it's weird. And the same way she smelled after I got back from that trip. Is this a hormonal thing? I grew up with cats and they were all fixed (male and female) and I don't remember any of them having a strange odor. Do some cats just have more pungent odors? Is this an indication of some kind of illness? Again, the smell is sharp, but really only noticable if you're nose to neck with her. I did switch her food in light of recent recalls (from Wellness & Prairie to Evanger's) but she had the scent before the food change and then I really didn't notice it for probably about 4 months. If anyone has any ideas or experience, I'm eager to hear your experiences. Thanks.
Have you given her a bath? Sorry for asking that, I have a 1 year old I never have given a bath to, but if he smelled like you describe that would be the first thing I would try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess it's just her own little scent. She doesn't smell bad and it isn't strong or anything, but she smells vaguely like one of those oils you'd find in a hippie shop between the magic crystals and the tarot cards. It's weird. No, I haven't given her a bath. I don't think she'd let me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's an indoor cat. I take her out occassionally, but I haven't recently.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe she is just a little hippy and is oozing some vibes!!!

Sorry! Most cats have there own individual scent, if it doesn't smell bad then it should be fine!