My Cat Skin

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So today i took my cat to vet to shave the matted hair he did and he saw some brown dots in hes skin i ask him is it skin problem he said no it was going to happen he told me to apply cream and as i get home i saw dots dots of blood in my cats tail i call the vet he said apply cream why it’s bleeding?? This is the vet I always go to and trust him im so worried my other cat also have matted hair a little bit and he also have brown dots he doesn’t itch it or he didn’t lost hair on that parts pls see in the photo if its not clear it’s brown dots looks like dirt but when i clean it with water it doesn’t go pls if someone knows help me im so worried i will go and buy the cream i ask the vet to not fully shave him because he was panting so much and he was really scared

RocketPuppy97

Can Opener for Monty & Cosmo
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a vet assisant and we haved quite a few cats with matted fur. When the fur is matted the cat can't groom that part properly anymore, it's like a shield on the skin. It's normal for the fur to be darker in those spots, because the dirt wasn't removed while grooming because it was matted. Cats have sensitve skin and it's important to be careful while shaving a cat, because the skin can be hurt easily, I think that's why you are seeing dots of blood on your cats tail. I would let your cat calm down a bit and see if selfgrooming does the trick, if it seems to get itchy or your cat gets uncomfortable, maybe I would talk to another vet about it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry for your baby! You can try taking a grocery store chamomile tea bag (grocery store varieties are generally German - you don't want English, and you don't want any with additives/other flavorings), brew it, cool the liquid, and dab it on the spots with cotton balls. The tea has both soothing and healing properties. You can do this as many times a day as you want. I hope it helps!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
S Selena , the photos are too small for us to really see what's going on, but hopefully your vet knows any issues with your cats and can help. Cats can certainly have some skin issues if unable to groom properly but also develop things from fleas, mites and other stuff. Did you ever have your vet check out if fleas and/or mites were the issue here?
Treatment For Fleas And Ear Mites

Did you buy the flea med your vet suggested?
Flea

Besides being unable to groom spots that have a lot of matted hair, cats can also get skin reactions and problems from over-scratching or overgrooming areas on their skin and bodies. Sometimes that can lead to secondary infections. Have you considered taking your cat to a feline dermatologist, so that you know more of what is going on and if more can be done to help (all of) your cat(s) if there are issues?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish more vets would explain things with more detail instead of just saying, "It will go away."

When Casper had his bout of megacolon, (acute constipation) our vet took the time to explain what it was and why she thought it was happening. She said that megacolon is "ideopathic" (no proven cause) and that some cats "just get it." She told us things to do to help Casper get better and to help keep it from happening again.

She told us to make sure that Casper gets enough water to drink and to give him more wet food than dry food. She told us to give him Miralax (stool-softening laxative) to keep it from coming back and she prescribed some medicine to help if he has a flare-up.

It only took a five minute conversation to explain Casper's condition and, besides, I had to pay a couple-three hundred dollars in vet bills to help him get better. She darned-WELL better explain the problem for that kind of scratch! ;) ;) ;)

Yes, I also think that the dark spots on your cat happened because its hair was matted and the clumps of hair kept the dirt close to the skin, causing those dark, patchy areas.

The spots of blood might have happened because your cat was trying to pull out the clumps of matted hair using its teeth and hurt its own skin in the process. Sort of like the way dogs will bite themselves when they have flea eggs under their skin.

Don't cats sometimes "flea-bite," too? None of my cats, Casper included, have ever had a flea infestation to speak of. They have always been 100% indoor cats and I always give them a dose of flea medicine in the spring when flea season starts just for safety.

I had one cat, "Jerry," (R.I.P.) that was semi-feral when I first adopted him and he did have some fleas on him but a good flea bath and a dose of flea meds got rid of that.

Anyhow... Do check your cat for fleas and/or ticks. If your cat is an indoor cat it's not likely that there is a flea infestation but it is worth checking.

Even if your live in an apartment like we do, it is STILL possible for fleas to get inside the house. If a neighbor's cat or dog gets fleas it is remotely possible for them to spread through the walls, infesting your cat. (Not likely but still possible.)

After that, just try to keep your cat extra clean and use the medicine that the vet recommends. Keep an eye on the cat to be sure things don't get worse and call the vet if your have any problems.

I am pretty confident that, with proper care, your cat will get better soon. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish more vets would explain things with more detail instead of just saying, "It will go away."

When Casper had his bout of megacolon, (acute constipation) our vet took the time to explain what it was and why she thought it was happening. She said that megacolon is "ideopathic" (no proven cause) and that some cats "just get it." She told us things to do to help Casper get better and to help keep it from happening again.

She told us to make sure that Casper gets enough water to drink and to give him more wet food than dry food. She told us to give him Miralax (stool-softening laxative) to keep it from coming back and she prescribed some medicine to help if he has a flare-up.

It only took a five minute conversation to explain Casper's condition and, besides, I had to pay a couple-three hundred dollars in vet bills to help him get better. She darned-WELL better explain the problem for that kind of scratch! ;) ;) ;)

Yes, I also think that the dark spots on your cat happened because its hair was matted and the clumps of hair kept the dirt close to the skin, causing those dark, patchy areas.

The spots of blood might have happened because your cat was trying to pull out the clumps of matted hair using its teeth and hurt its own skin in the process. Sort of like the way dogs will bite themselves when they have flea eggs under their skin.

Don't cats sometimes "flea-bite," too? None of my cats, Casper included, have ever had a flea infestation to speak of. They have always been 100% indoor cats and I always give them a dose of flea medicine in the spring when flea season starts just for safety.

I had one cat, "Jerry," (R.I.P.) that was semi-feral when I first adopted him and he did have some fleas on him but a good flea bath and a dose of flea meds got rid of that.

Anyhow... Do check your cat for fleas and/or ticks. If your cat is an indoor cat it's not likely that there is a flea infestation but it is worth checking.

Even if your live in an apartment like we do, it is STILL possible for fleas to get inside the house. If a neighbor's cat or dog gets fleas it is remotely possible for them to spread through the walls, infesting your cat. (Not likely but still possible.)

After that, just try to keep your cat extra clean and use the medicine that the vet recommends. Keep an eye on the cat to be sure things don't get worse and call the vet if your have any problems.

I am pretty confident that, with proper care, your cat will get better soon. :)
The cream was very good I don’t know if it was dirt or what but the blood part was because of shaving on the tail only it was like this