My Cat, Si. Was Told By The Spca That He Was Part Egyptian Mau.

claire8834

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No evidence other than the SPCA's word, his looks, and his behavior. Very, very loyal to only me. "Wags" his tail when he's happy. Plays fetch (better than most dogs that I know!). Mau colored eyes (light green) and the "M" on his face + "eyeliner" and a distinctly spotted belly and sides, with some additional stripes. All black and white- not gray like I've seen other similar cats. He's much bigger than general maus- but they said that was because he's mixed. I added 4 pics below- I'd love your opinions!!

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He's cute! But I'd say not an Egyptian Mau. The ASPCA volunteers undoubtedly have very good intentions, but aren't always the best at breed identifying. Your kitty appears to have a broken mackeral tabby pattern, as opposed to a true spot, and he doesn't have the same slender Egyptian Mau body. So he'd be called a brown broken mackeral tabby (with a locket) Domestic Shorthair.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not seeing Egyptian Mau. It is a very common occurrence for shelters and rescues to make random claims about a cats breed. I am not sure if it is an attempt to up sell the cat or just they think that cats are like dogs in that any iota of similarity to a breed means a likely genetic link to a breed. I do think they have good intentions but it does lead to some misunderstanding in the cat world. I can't completely blame them though, my girl is technically a domestic short hair bicolor pointed with nothing in her shape or body to lean itself into something but she would likely be just listed as Siamese had she gone through a rescue on her way to me. A named known breed is less of a mouthful and ups her appeal; with her personality she would need any benefit she could get.

Your boy is very handsome and I completely agree with the amazing abyeb abyeb on the pattern.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Kieka, he is a point. Not very apparent but the eyes betray him. More good pics are welcome, thought, not least a good pic from aside to see exactly his pattern.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

claire8834

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with Kieka, he is a point. Not very apparent but the eyes betray him. More good pics are welcome, thought, not least a good pic from aside to see exactly his pattern.
Thanks! Why do the eyes betray him? And yeah, I've heard the size comments before, but the SPCA specifically told me he was only half Egyptian mau (so I assumed the size was from his dad). They said he and his sister both came in together from some people who had an Egyptian mau that accidentally got out. Of course, I'm sure they're very well intentioned either way, and loved to adopt out an adult cat, so who knows! I've just always been curious what experts would think- I attached a few more pics for you to see.

Attachments