my cat seems to be in pain but vet tells me he his just a picky eater

mar-ty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 6 year old male cat who is intact (because of parents wishes.) he used to go out in the neighborhood everyday so we never gave him a feeding schedule. this year he lost a lot of fur (he is a persian.) we thought this may be from a cat fight but now I’m considering hair loss from something medical. he stopped eating many types of food and lost weight rapidly. when we took him to the vet for a checkup they said he’s just picky and that we need to give him a schedule. we have now put him on a schedule because all he does is sleep now but he’s still not eating any type of food we give. he has started vomiting too I don’t know how long ago. parents and vet say he is fine but he seems to be in pain. there is no sign of aggression but he is also less vocal.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
:frown:
This does not sound right to me. Any cat who loses weight quickly runs the risk of getting Hepatic Lipidosis, which can be deadly. Believe me, I know because I had a cat die from it years ago. One of the first signs of it is a complete loss of appetite. The only way to detect it is with a blood test. Do you know if the Vet did blood work? Is he turning yellow? If you look at his gums, are they yellow, or are the inside of his ears yellowish? That's another sign, when it's pretty far in progression. Of course, I'm just guessing, but what you describe sounds just like my boy.

But it could be so many things. Blood work would be the best thing, if he hasn't had any. Other than that, you need to get food into him. Of course he will be lethargic since he isn't getting any "fuel" in him. Is he drinking any water? Is he peeing and/or pooping? He is probably dehydrated as well. Putting a cat on a schedule who is used to free feeding is fine, but you need to make sure he is still getting enough calories while you do that. Your boy isn't getting that since he had already stopped eating. I would advise to try all different foods to try to get him to eat anything. Try NEW foods since he isn't eating his usual fare. I'll bet he's throwing up because his stomach is producing acid and when there is nothing in there, the over acidity causes vomiting. AND, if he gets too much in there at once now, he will probably also toss it up.

You said you don't know how long this has been going on, but are we talking weeks, or days, or hours? Unless it's hours, and unless he got a clean bill of health with bloodwork, he needs to be seen again, preferably by another Vet

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I utterly agree with mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens , and this may be the time to find a vet who is more responsive to your cat's needs. THIS IS NOT PICKY EATING! Hair loss and weight loss mean that something is going on with him.

IF your parents will agree to a change in vets, these articles can help you choose one:

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the responses you got. I would like to add the possibility of your cat having gingivitis due to tartar buildup. Cats may stop eating if they are in pain due to gingivitis and this can appear as if the cat is being picky. Also, if it is starting to become warm where you live it could be that your cat is seasonally shedding (one of my cats rapidly sheds his hair-within a week or so when spring nears). I still think you need to at least have a blood workup done because rapid weight loss is not to be ignored. Good luck!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since you mentioned he goes outdoors and into the neighborhoods, do you know if he is up to date with his vaccines?
I also have a Persian and have had two other Persian cats in the past. They are not the hardiest cats for outdoors due to their docile and affectionate temperament. They're also prone to certain illnesses: New study: Persian cats at high risk of health issues

I agree with the above members that it would be in your cat's best interest to consider getting a second opinion from another vet and not one who is in the same veterinary practice. Best of luck, we will be keeping our fingers crossed. :crossfingers: Please keep us updated on his condition.