My cat screeches when I pick him up!

mimi507

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently, My cat has started to make odd screeching sounds sometimes when I pick him up! it sounds as if hes sad or soemthing, but cant be too sure. when he does the noise, it sort of...well, only a bit of it comes out, like when a cat chatters when they see a bird or something, only a bit of sound comes out although their mouth is moving. So its like that. please help! any advice or tips or ur experiences or questions r welcome! thx

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How/where do you pick him up, in other words, towards the front paws or towards his/her back paws.

Is this new behavior?

If towards her back paws, that is towards her/his belly, stomach, and your cat may have a problem back there.

Of, maybe he just doesn't like to be picked up.  Some cats are like that.  I can't pick up Ritz, she hates it, always has.  But she is a lap cat, sleeps with me in between my legs, and loves to have her belly rubbed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mimi507

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's not normally bothered when I pick him up - just sits there happily, although (understandably) he struggles after long. But he DEFINITELY NOT A LAP CAT! as soon as you put him on your lap he runs off! But I'm still holding him the way I was told, which is the way he is usually comfortable, but he suddenly started to hate it!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure, could be any number of things, from he simply no longer like being picked up to where ever you place your hands, under that area, is a sore or problem or something.

I'd quit picking him up, and observe to see if he has other behavior changes (including litter box, food, etc.)

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
My cat started to make noises like that too.. kinda like a "Meh-Eh!" chattering noise when I pick him up.

This is when I adopted my other cat. He had decided to use this sound to express his displeasure to anything, not just in picking him up since then.

I took it to change in the house hold for his new sound.. has anything changed in yours?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mimi507

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, nothing has changed, but I will try not to pick him up as much, maybe he has a body pain somewhere. But thx for comments