My Cat Scratches Only My Roommates Bed, But She Has a Declawed Cat Too

Kvla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat Scratches Roommate’s Bed, But She Has a Declawed Cat

My cat, Ophelia, really likes a certain fabric to scratch on and turns out my roommate has a couch and a bed that have that type of fabric. Ophelia will wonder into my roommate’s room and scratch her bed and it’s a brand new bed so obviously and rightfully, my roommate is upset about it. I have 2 other roommates besides this one, and both are allergic and don’t want cats in their room so they leave their doors open.

I trim her nails, and in the past we have tried nail caps but it caused further trauma and will avoid those at all costs. The easy solution would be for my roommate to keep her door closed, but she also has a cat, so it makes sense that she would want to keep her bedroom door open. However, her cat was declawed when she was spayed, so she doesn’t have claws and does no damage when she scratches.

I have no right to tell my roommate to put a scratching post by her bed, because I have one by the couch that she likes to scratch and sometimes she even avoids that (one of her favorite scratching fabrics, it’s like rolled rope) to scratch the couch, so we now have a couch cover on it.

How can I get her to stop scratching the bed?? I feel terrible and don’t want Ophelia to ruin her new bed and also don’t want to tell her what

EDIT: We tried putting her favorite scratching post near her bed corner, but Ophelia will still scratch the bed instead of the scratching post. Plus my roommate says there is no room for a scratching post really in our tiny college bedrooms..

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One way is to place double-sided tape in the areas where she scratches. It will only take a few days of getting "icky sticky" on her paws to get her to stop. I know it's a pain to do that to a bed, but I'm thinking she scratches the sides, and not the sleeping area, so it is possible, and WILL work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kvla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One way is to place double-sided tape in the areas where she scratches. It will only take a few days of getting "icky sticky" on her paws to get her to stop. I know it's a pain to do that to a bed, but I'm thinking she scratches the sides, and not the sleeping area, so it is possible, and WILL work.
That's what we decided to go with! Crossing our fingers it works