My cat Sassy 18yr old Short Hair - Appetite Issues (again) - result of early CKD progressing?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hm, to your point about your Feeby may be content with refusing food even if shes hungry...then what happens?
For me, it has been a learning process over time. If she repeatedly goes to the food dish and won't eat it, hours later, I may try something else. But, there are other times, even hours later, once I moisten the food up a bit again (after already having it done it before), she ends up eating. This varies.
My vet would always say 95% time any cat shouldnt really need Mirtazapine as its just masking up an underlying issue. Which I can believe and agree with...so thats the reason why I always get scared when she doesn't eat, its because of an issue.
This is likely true about the Mirtazapine. And, Feeby would have to be a lot worse than Sassy sounds right now for me to even consider giving her the stuff. There might be occasions when nothing of real significance is going on and the Mirtazapine 'jump starts' the eating process again, but I have never felt that Feeby has reached that point to try.
I mean Cats are not humans per say, but I honestly don't know how true that older cats can be in comparison to older human appetites. Makes sense, but not sure how official that info can be.
I have only made this comparison as I have seen it in other cats, and dogs as well. I seriously can't imagine that aging animals don't have their on and off days, just like humans. Their systems start to slow down, same as ours do. Does it mean they are actually sick? Maybe so, or maybe not.

As far as I am concerned, some cats also become more 'needy' as they age. At least that is what I am seeing with Feeby. And, they don't always choose the best times to display that. Feeby wakes us up a lot more during the night anymore, when she used to sleep nearly straight through. Maybe some of Sassy's bugging you isn't really about food at all?

KatherineE

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went through what you’re going through with my own CKD cat. Getting him to eat enough became a constant struggle by the time he was 17 or so. We had certain tricks that worked and it took a lot of persistence. When even those became less effective, we resorted to Mirtazapine. It usually worked but it came at a price in that it often made him restless or agitated. He also suffered from constipation, and keeping on top of that was crucial in keeping his appetite up.

Like your cat, my cat hated the vet and I had to weigh his discomfort with his need to see a vet. I will say that getting regular bloodwork is helpful but it doesn’t always tell the whole story. On paper, my cat seemed like he was stage 2/barely stage 3. So it confused me that he often seemed worse off on that. I did talk to the vet about that once and that conversation lead us to start giving him regular B12 shots at home. Those really gave him a boost for a time, and I’d recommend you talk to your vet about that option.

In the end, he started having small seizures. We did not investigate their cause, but as they became more frequent and seemed to really upset him, we decided it was time to say goodbye. He was a month shy of his 19th birthday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For me, it has been a learning process over time. If she repeatedly goes to the food dish and won't eat it, hours later, I may try something else. But, there are other times, even hours later, once I moisten the food up a bit again (after already having it done it before), she ends up eating. This varies.

This is likely true about the Mirtazapine. And, Feeby would have to be a lot worse than Sassy sounds right now for me to even consider giving her the stuff. There might be occasions when nothing of real significance is going on and the Mirtazapine 'jump starts' the eating process again, but I have never felt that Feeby has reached that point to try.

I have only made this comparison as I have seen it in other cats, and dogs as well. I seriously can't imagine that aging animals don't have their on and off days, just like humans. Their systems start to slow down, same as ours do. Does it mean they are actually sick? Maybe so, or maybe not.

As far as I am concerned, some cats also become more 'needy' as they age. At least that is what I am seeing with Feeby. And, they don't always choose the best times to display that. Feeby wakes us up a lot more during the night anymore, when she used to sleep nearly straight through. Maybe some of Sassy's bugging you isn't really about food at all?
So as n update as of 1/02/21:
Sassy ate pretty well last night and this morning but could be leftover effect of the mirtazapine...but also I tried ignoring her a bit and spacing her meals out a bit so she can feel bit more hungry at each meal. She has been sleeping bit more today and did not ask for much food throughout the day and her 1st dinner was...okay. Similar amount to what she been eating in recent past...assuming she will ask for food at least 1 more time tonight.

I was trying to do a bit of research, is it normal for older cats to be asking food this frequently? I read up somewhere where most say it can be a sign of illness...but just not sure.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Based on what you just described in your update, it doesn't seem to me that she is asking for food frequently. Perhaps, I am missing something.
Oh sorry I probably wasn't as clear as I was rushing to fit in the message before I had stepped out.
It just feels like she has some automatic built-in timer in her now that she barely goes to sleep for any longer then 3 or 4 hours straight MAX. As mentioned before, she used to be on 6+ consecutive hours of sleep prior to Charlie's passing - allowing her to just primarily eat once in morning, once midday (sometimes) and just once in the nights. But since Charlie's passing she began to wake up more frequently and ask for food each time. Or maybe it was the fact that each time she woke up...I kinda unintentionally trained her to give her some food each time she was awake and now within a month or so time she got accustomed to it? But I don't think that explains her waking up every 3-4 hours now. Sometimes she would do 2 hours like last night...and I can't figure out if or what kind of illness(es) could make her somewhat restless? I thought cats sleep (like she used to) for longer duration especially as they age?

Update as of today - 1/03/2020:
She was up as of 4:30am this morning asking for dry food. Continued to notice she just swallowing the dry food as whole bits as opposed to chewing it...which is concerning me its her mouth. At the same time, stresses me further that if indeed it is her mouth, I won't be able to do much because of her age and potential not tolerating the anesthesia. I lost one cat already because of anastheisa, no way I will risk a much older cat the same way :(. She then asked for food again around 5:30am, ate half her Fancy Feast and slept, asked for food again around 9am, ate half of another fresh fancy feast can, and then went to sleep after maybe 30 minutes or so being awake after eating. Then she ate some dry food around 2pm, then began her dinner meal around 5pm today. Surely she will eat again like yesterday, Round 2 again at around 9pm or so, then final round at midnight. Again, its this constant waking up of every 3 hours that shakes me up, and she almost does it in such a timely manner too, on the dot nearly. That is what I mean about asking for food frequently or at least only really wakes up to eat food. Her intake of water has gone down a bit in the past few days...again because she doesn't roam around as much as before since she loves her bed, though now shes back to sleeping on top of brothers bed again - thought maybe she would remember her longer sleeping intervals on that bed...but nope, she still wakes up every 3-4hours. Like at the same time, I can only imagine it takes a toll on her body not resting for longer duration? It's not that shes agiated or vocal everytime she wakes up, just wants either water, or food primarily when she wakes up. Then she cries to my brother now to lay down in bed with her so she lays right next to his body (its cute and has been doing this for some time to even me too on my bed before Charlie passed). She cries to brother as if she's saying "come put me to sleep" haha. Maybe she just wants attention or being needy?

As for her amount of eating, I don't think I gave a full history but I can in a short brief:

When sassy was in her younger years...0 to around 8 years old, my parents were the ones feeding her. Either that or my brain can't really recall myself feeding Sassy, or then Charlie who came around when Sassy was 3 years old. Primarmily because i was busy with High school and then College soon after so those 8 years I had my hands tied up. I can recall just playing with my cats so much after doing homework or projects. Then eating time I just can't really remember other then their old bowl colors and the canned food we used to get them from Target or another grocery.

But my mother recalls feeding her all the time and she claims that what she used to feed Sassy was literally 1/3 of a 5.5oz can Pate kinds from Friskies. So in a day, Sassy would finish just one whole Friskies 5.5oz canned food + some dry food throughout the day. To me that seems such a little amount of food but yet we have pictures of Sassy being so obese back then, I think she once hit 15lbs in her younger years. she was a big girl.

After college I returned home and then started to pay more attnetion to my cats in terms of feeding them and such. I still can't really recall how much I gave them up to about maybe few years ago...say around 2015 or so. From there I definitely recalled giving Sassy 1 - 3oz Fancy Feast can (which she would mostly finish except leave for few bits), maybe some dry food to go with but very few bits, then all of us would be at work so next time Charlie and Sassy ate would be around 5pm (from their 7am breakfast) which would be bits of dry food. Sometimes they wouldnt even ask for food so they lasted straight till dinner around 7 or 8pm. Then for dinner, I would split half of the Friskies Fillets 5.5oz can between Charlie and Sassy, along with some dry food too on their plate. For the most part Sassy would finish her half, leave some bits but that would be it. She would either remain somewhat awake and be with me on my computer desk or bed or something but she wouldn't ask for more food and sleep from say 9pm until the next morning believe it or not. And this is even as recent as this past September/October before Charlie's illness and passing. So, Sassy's intake really was just 1 - 3 oz can, then 2.75 oz of Friskies in night times + dry food once a day. Not a lot of food technically in comparison how much she eats now in total for the day.

Now after Charlie's passing, I found it bit hard to take in that Sassy I knew wouldn't finish a whole 5.5oz can on her own for dinner. But maybe she sensed something that made her want to try to finish it whole ? So then little by little after Charlie's passing, she started to split her meals up a bit to more frequent smaller meals? Then her dinner started to split into 2 dinners, then into 3 dinners as she does now. And on a decent/successful night, Sassy would finish maybe 3/4 of a 5.5oz can for dinner at the end of the night. So maybe it's still balancing how much she used to eat in the past, especially right before Charlie's passing and years before, but now just split into much smaller meals (which I read makes sense for older cats)...but the waking up each 3 hours sharply to ask for food is bit scary makes me wonder. Some searching I did plus a post on here by another user the other day mentioned her cat was similar in terms of getting her cat to eat enough with CKD, seems like when they ask smaller meals and more frequently is a sign of nearing the end...or somewhat closer to the end (though not sure how?).

Overall I'd say shes been on her "on good days" for the past 2 days in a row and now seems like today will be another decent day again. Another thing I forgot to mention, I can't seem to recall since when I noticed this but whenever Sassy's yawns, she exhales are right? But that breathe she exhales smells quite bad - almost fish smell. Sure sometimes she eats fish food thinking it might be that? but not every day. And I just researched it and seems to be connected to dental disease. But not sure how accurate that can be as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I still think a lot of the changes that you describe about Sassy are due to aging. Nothing you tell me alarms me about her behavior when I compare it to Feeby, who is at least a year younger. Sleeping less at one time, eating less at one time, acting like maybe she wants more attention. All of these have changed over the more recent years with Feeby.

Have you smelled Sassy's breath daily and compared it to what she has eaten? Tbh, I think other foods, besides just fish, can cause a smelly breath too. I don't check Feeby's every day - or really deliberately at all - but there are times her breath has smelled as well. She doesn't even eat fish! And, I already told you that most cats, with verifiable proof from Feeby when she has vomited, don't really chew their food - most is swallowed whole.

I think you are really - whether you consciously know it or not - still reeling over what happened to Charlie as well as mourning his loss. You are now super-focused on Sassy, as you fear some illness is going to take her away from you. So, every little change in her - be that over time, or even day-to-day - is causing a worry in you that may or may not be valid.

Sassy may have CKD and/or she may have dental issues, she may even have something else going on - at her age those are possibilities, no doubt. Or, she could just be aging as all cats do. But, worrying about it isn't going to change any of that. You either take her in for a vet check up and confirm or rule out those possibilities or you don't. You need to have balance in how you handle the situation. If taking her to the vet to find out one way or the other is something that you are not really wanting to do, then you need to accept her as she is, and take the best care of her that you can. But, try to minimize your anguish and worry, if for no other reason than for Sassy's sake - cats do sense their caretaker's feelings/emotions. Enjoy her and let her enjoy you - sans all the constant worry.

Last edited:

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I still think a lot of the changes that you describe about Sassy are due to aging. Nothing you tell me alarms me about her behavior when I compare it to Feeby, who is at least a year younger. Sleeping less at one time, eating less at one time, acting like maybe she wants more attention. All of these have changed over the more recent years with Feeby.

Have you smelled Sassy's breath daily and compared it to what she has eaten? Tbh, I think other foods, besides just fish, can cause a smelly breath too. I don't check Feeby's every day - or really deliberately at all - but there are times her breath has smelled as well. She doesn't even eat fish! And, I already told you that most cats, with verifiable proof from Feeby when she has vomited, don't really chew their food - most is swallowed whole.

I think you are really - whether you consciously know it or not - still reeling over what happened to Charlie as well as mourning his loss. You are now super-focused on Sassy, as you fear some illness is going to take her away from you. So, every little change in her - be that over time, or even day-to-day - is causing a worry in you that may or may not be valid.

Sassy may have CKD and/or she may have dental issues, she may even have something else going on - at her age those are possibilities, no doubt. Or, she could just be aging as all cats do. But, worrying about it isn't going to change any of that. You either take her in for a vet check up and confirm or rule out those possibilities or you don't. You need to have balance in how you handle the situation. If taking her to the vet to find out one way or the other is something that you are not really wanting to do, then you need to accept her as she is, and take the best care of her that you can. But, try to minimize your anguish and worry, if for no other reason than for Sassy's sake - cats do sense their caretaker's feelings/emotions. Enjoy her and let her enjoy you - sans all the constant worry.
Totally understand.

And I will be re-considering to take her in possibly this week. I just emailed her primary vet to see what feedback he gives me. Only reason I'm reconsidering is that today/this morning she didn't seem to interested in her food overall, both dry and wet. Didn't drink as much water either but passed urine and stool just fine. It just feels there is no concrete answer and I know I may not get one until after a vet visit...but even then the fear of further testing that may be out of question for such an elderly cat is ultimately my final fear. Xrays may be fine for her, but I know ultrasound she'd need to be sedated surely.

So I was wondering, since it will likely seem blood work will be drawn from her, aside from the blood test results I posted, are there more...or should there be more items listed/checked in the blood? I feel like the one they do in emergency in office provides a general scope of her organs and WBC and RBC...which we get results within like 15 minutes of waiting at the vet. Chances are that comes okay or nothing of significant finding, then I assume it will get sent out to a lab which tests for more things (our vet uses the Antech one). But as one user mentioned B12 vitamin and I've seen other test results for other cats in past have sometimes more things listed, my question is, are the tests listed in her bloodwork previously attached enough or are there more items to check from her blood that I should request? Again its only because I've seen sometimes on here blood work (of course, different locations, different labs) list more items that got tested in the blood. I wouldn't want to repeat bloodwork twice back to back on Sassy if I can eliminate it and request it from the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Usually, for a senior cat a full scope blood panel would be done - that is, CBC, Super Chemistry Profile, & thyroid check. The one Feeby gets looks like the one you had done in June 2017, which also includes a urinalysis if they can get some urine from Sassy too. The ones that were done on Sassy later in 2017 and in 2018 are not as extensive. I would imagine the vet would want to repeat all the things that were done in June 2017 since it has been 3 1/2 years.

There is a secondary thyroid check if the numbers warrant it, but that may have to come later and it is only a tiny prick for blood if it would even be warranted. It would only be necessary if the vet thinks Sassy's thyroid numbers are indicating hyperthyroidism. But, given her last thyroid check (T4) was done in 2017 and looks very good, the vet might suggest to wait another 6 months for another T4 check should the level be higher on this upcoming test.

You can see if the vet thinks anything of her behaviors/eating/weight would denote a B12 deficiency, or what they would look at in her other bloodwork that could indicate a deficiency. And, I am not sure your vet would want to do an x-ray without something indicating the necessity of it, but you can mention that to him as well.

Wait until you get these tests done before you worry about an ultrasound that may never be needed!

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Usually, for a senior cat a full scope blood panel would be done - that is, CBC, Super Chemistry Profile, & thyroid check. The one Feeby gets looks like the one you had done in June 2017, which also includes a urinalysis if they can get some urine from Sassy too. The ones that were done on Sassy later in 2017 and in 2018 are not as extensive. I would imagine the vet would want to repeat all the things that were done in June 2017 since it has been 3 1/2 years.

There is a secondary thyroid check if the numbers warrant it, but that may have to come later and it is only a tiny prick for blood if it would even be warranted. It would only be necessary if the vet thinks Sassy's thyroid numbers are indicating hyperthyroidism. But, given her last thyroid check (T4) was done in 2017 and looks very good, the vet might suggest to wait another 6 months for another T4 check should the level be higher on this upcoming test.

You can see if the vet thinks anything of her behaviors/eating/weight would denote a B12 deficiency, or what they would look at in her other bloodwork that could indicate a deficiency. And, I am not sure your vet would want to do an x-ray without something indicating the necessity of it, but you can mention that to him as well.

Wait until you get these tests done before you worry about an ultrasound that may never be needed!
Well, this was the primary vet's response...as in past times, not as helpful...

"Hi, thanks for reaching out. These symptoms are non specific and potentially could be due to numerous underlying diseases. I understand your not wanting to stress her with an exam, however, without further evaluation, it will be impossible to diagnose her. If you want, we can start with a urine sample. Pick up a kit 4 kat urine collection kit at reception. Hope this info helps and thank you for the opportunity to care for her."

To a point, i understand there's no way of diagnosing her just through email and no physical check up...and not that I was looking for one pin point answer. But at least some guidance and thoughts as to what she might be going through based off what I mentioned which was the same thing Id mention here, but all he can say it impossible to diagnose her and to basically bring her in. I wish he wasn't as cold as he is....I don't see how his clinic has like near 5.0 out of 5.0 star reviews...

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think the vet's response was 'on target'. There is no way she can advise you on just your description without further testing. Even if she were to speculate, what would that mean without further testing to confirm or deny those speculations? An actual dialog would be better than conversing through back and forth emails. If I send an email to my vet, he usually responds with a phone call to discuss things further. That might be the only thing I could 'critique' your vet on, if her response was via email only. On the other side of that, if my vet didn't actually reach me by phone when he called, then he would leave a voice mail message, similar to what you described above. However, he would have also said to call back to discuss further if I wanted.

She offered the one and only thing you could do without taking Sassy in for an actual vet check up and blood work - and that was a way to collect her urine for testing.

Last edited:

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Sassy been doing okay since week ago or so. She still eating her frequent meals and specific 3 hourly intervals (though yesterday was nearly every 2 hours) and still some days where she doesnt eat as much as the other day prior. So on and off days but never a point where she stopped eating completely. She did get somewhat constipated? few days ago as she passed stool on a Saturday...then didn't pass anything until Monday afternoon! (though still urinated fine) and I felt Monday morning she did not want to eat because she felt too full or something. Of course right after she was okay and ate fine.

One interesting development was since yesterday, I bought this tiny bag of Fancy Feast Fry food - Filet mignon and fish flavored since I saw pictures the bits were smaller so probably easier for her to chew? And I opened the bag, she dipped her head in it last night and my goodness she went CRAZY! for it. I tried leading her to my bedroom to eat it, she literally ran right after me, not even walk fast, she ran/galloped like she was a kitten again, i was like holy crap! she just seemed so excited for it and as soon as I poured some of that dry food into her plate she was just devouring it. She wanted more but its just a 1lb bag so i didnt want her to get too full on it.

And just moments ago while I'm at work, she had come out to the kitchen followed my brother to kitchen with that bag of food and she ate in the kitchen (as we trying to re-train her to eat there some meals at least), and of course, she wanted more of that dry food. This morning I still gave her breakfast with her combined Friskies Dry food, she did eat some of it not alot, but did manage to eat her wet food too. But what a difference for the dry food, she would just passively eat some bits (as mentioned in previous posts) of her Friskies Dry food, but with this new fancy feast dry food, she goes crazy for it. The instant she smelled the inside bag when I opened it she was just getting hyper and I was shocked. Now it's making me re-think if she's just getting tired of all these foods I give her...but for the wet foods, I can't imagine what to even try next? I mean she still thankfully eats in smaller meals her nightly Friskies Fillets wet food...but now I wonder if she would even eat more if I gave her other cans. The only thing is that I have been trying that over the last several months to even a year (with Charlie around too) because family and I were getting sense perhaps Sassy other times just gets tired of the same various cans and thus not be too crazy to eat it (back then like a year ago or so). I'd try variety new flavors and kinds such as Pate, Fillets, bits, flakes, etc but she never was crazy for any of it. So that is why since that experimental search, I just stood with the cans she would always eat. Of course it became a concern recently that even some of her crazy cans she was no longer crazy for. But at least she still eats them nowadays somewhat, some days her normal amount, and other not so much.

She did sort of throw up I heard from family a few days ago, but wasn't really throw up, was just a small amount of spit I think or saliva. She has done that a few times in past years but not daily or anything. This was her first time spitting out something in like months if I recall. But I dont think its anything too major as it was just that one instance few days ago. She also did have a like a mini cough attack or something over the past weekend, we thought maybe she choked on saliva while sleeping or something, the spell lasted like a minute or two but then she was fine, didnt occur again. Or felt like she wanted to cough out something but she was in her bed, did get bit scary but never happened again since.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update. Things sound pretty good overall! For the constipation, you can always add a couple of drops of olive oil to her wet food meals to see if that might keep her system 'lubricated' enough to prevent hard stools.

I think many cats get bored of their food. I know I have to be careful with Feeby to try to avoid that. So, she has a rotation of 7 different canned foods/flavors she eats so she goes a whole week without having the same canned food for her main meal. I also try to switch up her supplemental meals (mostly the perfect portion brands/flavors) as much as I can as well.

Feeby has done the little bit of spit-vomit thing every now and again. Since it is pretty infrequent, I really don't worry about it. If the coughing Sassy did could have been related to trying to throw up a hairball (unsuccessfully, as Feeby does), the olive oil can help with that too!

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will def look into that. So far she been passing stool just fine, normal chocolate brown color too no blood.

Just since yesterday and now through today so far she hasn't been on her A-game eating wise, eating very little. I'm almost wondering if I should just call up vet next week and order Famotidine or Cerenia see if that helps her? I wonder if she was nausous, she wouldnt want to even attempt to eat right? Wet or dry food? And Id assume she'd be throwing up. Perhaps she has acid inside her stomach...its hard to know.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How much less than normal is she eating? If at least half of her regular daily intake, I would wait and see if her eating picks up on its own within the next day or so. From what I recall, she has been on and off with her food like this before. It just seems silly to be pushing meds on her without really knowing if she needs them.

Do you chart her daily caloric intake? If not, you might want to consider it - makes it a lot easier to evaluate what she is eating from day-to-day, week-to-week. I don't worry if Feeby has a 'down' day or two, I look at her caloric intake on average over the course of a week. Feeby can eat over 250 calories one day, and then turn around and eat just over 200 a day for a few days before she picks back up again.

Glad to hear her stools are pretty normal!!

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How much less than normal is she eating? If at least half of her regular daily intake, I would wait and see if her eating picks up on its own within the next day or so. From what I recall, she has been on and off with her food like this before. It just seems silly to be pushing meds on her without really knowing if she needs them.

Do you chart her daily caloric intake? If not, you might want to consider it - makes it a lot easier to evaluate what she is eating from day-to-day, week-to-week. I don't worry if Feeby has a 'down' day or two, I look at her caloric intake on average over the course of a week. Feeby can eat over 250 calories one day, and then turn around and eat just over 200 a day for a few days before she picks back up again.

Glad to hear her stools are pretty normal!!
Hi There!

I know we spoke about calories before..and gosh Sassy currently just has me all stressed out with at times acting like her self and other times just seems quite or unatttentive. As you said with your Feeby, similarly seems Sassy has her off and on days. I just don't see how this on and off days doesn't allude to her being ok instead rather than her having something making her feel ill. Yes she has her on and off days, and within past 5 days, id say she had 3 days not so good and 2 days just ok as far as eating wise. I feel like if something sorta prevents her from eating a lot... I mean as mentioned before, Id say back to early December, she'd take huge bites and eat like crazy, then over few days just progressed to eating slightly less and/or eating less to her smaller but more often meals. I just thought by now she'd be refusing to eat entirely...or at very least be vomiting or have diarrhea or blood in stool to be something serious?

But as far portions or caloric intake? I dontgo by caloric numbers...but I could come up with some formula, like:
As mentioned before posts, Sassy prior to Charlie's passing (October 2020) would eat 1 - 3 oz can (though not entirely, she'd leave some bits from it + dry food), Dry food one time in mid afternoon, then one dinner half of a 5.5 oz can. So if a 3 oz can say is about 60 calories, + the dry food mixed in, maybe...say around 80 calories morning meal? Then afternoon snack of bit cookies ...not sure how much that equates to but lets say another 50 calories? Then dinner time half of friskies 5.5oz can - so that would about...65 calories since each can i think is about 130 calories total. So these approximate numbers are about 175 calories in a day approximately.

Now compare to how much she eats now a days between her split meals? 3 oz in mornings split into two meals, so still 60 calories approximately, maybe a tad less since again her appetite lowered in past weeks. But she'd come close to finishing 3 oz. Then she'd have some dry food either once or rarely twice during late morning early afternoon. Then would resume to eat her dinner 3 times nightly of 1 - 5.5 oz can. She'd stil total out that half 5.5oz if not usually a little more. So overall, even without counting the calories but just base the amount of food from each can she tries to eat, it still seems to overall total out very close to what she used to eat before, and if anything, maybe even slightly more on some days then in past months.

I just simply don't know what stopped her weeks ago from being like super hungry and devouring what Id feed her. She just within a day or two started to eat ever so slightly less and less. It wasn't too sudden either. And oddly last night , I gave her favorite salmon pate but she has been starting to turn away from it, instead eating about 3/4 of the 5.5oz can, now to about half barely. Even like last night, it got to the point where she ate her 2nd dinner meal, but then made somewhat of a quick sprint away from her plate suddenly as if she got scared or something. That I didnt understand why but it scared me a bit to see her react. Of course, that was the only time she did that last night. TOday, even her favorite fillets friskies can, she wasn't too crazy for it either.... I miss those days from weeks ago where she would seem she enjoyed her food so well like nothing was wrong. Now it has been already nearly a month her being like this...and just feels so stressed that I may actually give in this week and make an appointment. I know it will stress her out, and i wouldnt be able to be with her because of Covid...but I have a sense something is off. Maybe not serious...but her showing interest in wanting to eat, cuddling me and now of late been walking out and bout bit more then just sleeping...makes me feel something is just preventing her from eating a lot in one sitting rather than just age. It's just all wierd, but I know it still might be a chance this will be her normal self, the new normal, of still eating small amounts and about 6-8 meals a day... I mean its also strange how SOMETHING triggers her brain to wake up either every 2-3 hours to eat something. And I kinda feel bad for her because Id want her to sleep more or...have her walk around and such rather than herself to worry about solely eating...but then if she doesn't eat or ignore, then she could get sick.