My cat Sassy 18yr old Short Hair - Appetite Issues (again) - result of early CKD progressing?

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone,

Some of you may remember back about 2 months ago or so was struggling with my other cat named Charlie who ultimately passed away in surgery in attempt to remove the adenocarcinoma in his colon in late October. I've recovered, plus with my job being so busy it helped get my mind off it, but since then I dedicated to give my older last remaining cat Sassy at age of 18yrs all the attention she wants and care she needs.

Long story short (as I'll try to be brief but I feel every detail/story I mention can/may be crucial in providing honest/helpful feedback), my cat Sassy was diagnosed with early CKD back in June of 2017. It was determined through her urine sample test. Blood work came back fine - and the reason she was brought into vet in first place was in fact because of diminished appetite. I can't recall for how long it was going on back in 2017...but this diminished on/off appetite has occurred several times over the past few years. Usually each of those flareups I would contact my primary vet (whom unfortunately I stilll can't trust at the moment due to how he handled Charlie's surgery/passing/diagnosis) and bring Sassy into vet to get blood work done. Attached are the past 2 years visits - 2017 and 2018. She had undergone few bouts of diminished appetite in 2019 but overtime, as the vet agreed too, it could just be her being finicky/siimply the way she became that I should give it few days to a week to see if she continues lack of appetite but in addition to any vomiting or diarrhea. Most of those bouts, it would be primarily just diminished appetite, some lethargy, maybe a single bout of vomit (water usually or food) but that's all nothing serious. And in most of these cases, (I can't recall also...) this appetite issue seems to resolve itself either abruptly (she begins eating a lot again) or resolves slowly but maybe after either a few days of diminished appetite, or even up to a week I think. She would still eat whether some dry food, or wet food, and still definitely drink water and urinate/stool just fine, but over time she would come back and begin to eat her normal amounts and continue that streak either for several weeks/months. 2019 she might have had that spell around August? Took her about few weeks that time to come around to eat normal again. I think I gave her just a single dose of Famotidine and Mirtazapine, the 1mg Mirtazapine did make her hyper/vocal, but that got her going like a boost. But no vet required as she was fine for the rest of the year 2019.

2020 - Of course a year like no other I'm sure for everyone, Sassy almost went flawless. Again she might have had bouts of diminished appetite (minor though) but came around after just few days that I didnt even contact the vet as I knew this appetite issue has been and on and off issue since 2017. I don't believe I gave her any medication this year either. But as you can see, I know she's well over do for a check up with blood at least for her CKD progression as last check was in August 2018. It's just now I may have to switch over to a new vet as I'm still currently shaken with the primary vet I trusted for all these years - have this mishap with Charlie passing away in surgery. It still haunts me.

Fast forward to today/recent weeks, Sassy appetite has been acting up again but this time has been somewhat more progressive in terms of its duration with today being sort of the worst - eating barely anything other then dry food over night and some bits in afternoon. One thing that I noticed is over the past...maybe 2 months or so, she has been eating a lot less in one sitting...but just a lot more meals throughout the day. She would eat before maybe 2-3 times a day mostly, with a big breakfast and big dinner...for the past several years at least. Now since Charlie's passing, she's the lone cat around she has felt a lot more comfortable staying up a lot (sleeps a lot less overall), would sleep maybe in intervals of just 2-3 hours and is up usually for an hour or two. Before when Charlie would be around, she would just sleep the entire day and only wake up to eat the 2-3 times a day thats it. Nowadays, she's sleeps in short interveals, and eats about maybe...6-8 times a day. Of course overall I think it' still totals to same amount of food she used to eat years ago in just the 2-3 sittings? if not, she may have been consuming more then before. Again, she'd come crying to me and now even feels comfortable eating in my bedroom she comes to me ask for food all the times (except today). And what is new, sort of bit puzzling/hard on me, in past weeks, because of these smaller meals, she even wakes me up to eat like at 1am...3/4am....6am...then sometimes again at 8am. It's bit crazy...but again I let her eat when she wants, shes my queen!!

Now the past...week I noticed Sassy's appetite been acting up. She hasn't vomitted nor diarrhea or acted any different. Still drinks her water every day and even the timing of when she asks for food has been roughly the same. Just her mornings have been a bit off where she doesn't consume as much as she was in recent weeks (but so hard to judge because she eats so many tiny meals daily), so to me eating even less from her tiny meals worried me in past days, but most times in night she would kinda make up for it eating bit more, but it has been back and forth. Another thing I noticed is that she used to love her Friskies Prime Fillets and Fancy Fast Gravy lovers. She would enjoy it so much she would take rather huge bites into the food and chew it. I even put dry food on the sides most times because without it, sometimes she would just sniff the food or lick few times and just stare up UNTIL i place some dry food next to it. Then she resumes eating both wet and dry. However lately, both morning and night time meals, she just primarily licks off the juice/gravy from the food and leave most of the actual chunks of meat on her plate. She still eats dry food but I know that is not the best for her CKD. Let alone, she has been on commercial food since 2017, but i tried making her eat foods containing least amount of phosphorus in them the best I can. Over past few years in addition to finicky appetite, she also became picky eater as to specific flavored foods she likes. Today, she has been sleeping a lot more but in this new bed we showed her. It would seem like today she was far more lethargic as she used to be in the Charlie era, but I think its because of this bed we got her she seems to enjoy it. She hasn't cried or asked me for food today other then just one time in afternoon (dry food 2pm) since 6am feeding this morning(ate a little also). Then around an hour ago or so she came slowly to my room to eat - gave her this time a Pate can but she barely ate what I served, maybe just a bite full and few licks and this is her favorite Salmon pate food! After she ate just went straight to her bed. She drank water throughout the day too and urinated and passed stool just fine. No signs of nausea like sphinx, or licking of nose, vomit, etc. Maybe will be just today an off day? Could wait to see later tonight/tomorrow how she responds but if not, I'd have to find another vet to help out.

Anyone have thoughts on what would cause again this diminished appetite? Again this time seems bit more progressive, longer duration as it has been ever so slightly less each sitting she ate in the past week...with today being the most off-day. Maybe it is her CKD progressing? but would only know through blood test...just hate that now with all vets here in NYC area, its just drop off on site which I can't see how they handle/check Sassy. Let alone she does NOT like vet visits as she growls/hisses at vet since 2018 for some reason, wasn't like that before either. I feel like I wrote too much but hope can give some of you the idea of what Sassy going through and offer any helpful thoughts on what could be ailing her.

Of course, if you need any further info/explanations or have questions, just let me know!

Thank You

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay just another quick update as of 9:00pm EDT:

Sassy just woke up after another...3.5 hour sleep. She was crying for food (was organizing my room), then I fed her. She spent few minutes licking and chewing bit her leftover Salmon Pate 5.5oz canned food , definitely ate bit more then at around 5pm. She cleaned her face like always after, and now straight back to her bed. That's what gets to me today, again maybe she loves this bed that she now goes straight to laying down in it? But before today and this bed, she'd eat, and either wonder around - walk around apartment, or just sit somewhere in apartment either by heater (she LOVES being by the heat), or just sit outside in hallway. Few times she'd go sleep too after eating but not RIGHT after. She been sleeping on brothers bed literally everday since Charlie's passing. But he was getting fed up of cleaning her shedding hair so we got her this bed now she loves and is laying down on it. It's just - her going straight to sleep right after eating today....makes me worried as if something bothers her or she's sick or is it she just loves the bed? Guess the most important thing is she ate something at least...just not whole lot yet still.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She needs a trip to the vet to check her blood levels, especially her potassium, BUN, and creatinine to assess for any progression of CKD. Lethargy is a sign of low potassium, but it could just be that she feels safe and warm in her bed. She could also be having issues with her teeth that could be causing eating problems. My older kitty with CKD varies with her eating habits. Sometimes she'll eat almost all her food in one serving, but others she picks at it. She NEVER misses a dry food serving, though, and will eat all her crunchies. (She gets wet food twice a day and snack size crunchy servings a few other times a day)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't think Sassy's blood results look that bad, but since you haven't had any new tests since the 2018 one, it would be a good idea to have another one done. Some of her behavioral changes may be related to how she is processing the loss of Charlie (RIP little baby). She had some changes immediately afterward, and if I am reading your post correctly, some of those behavioral changes are dissipating slightly which could mean she is dealing with being the lone cat better now than she was right after Charlie passed away. For example, her staying awake more right after he passed, but now is sleeping more again, might have just been her initial reaction to not having him around.

Feeby, who is 16+ yo, does a lot of similar things to what you have described about Sassy. She is off and on with food, and some days has only eaten about half her normal intake. But, she will increase what she eats after a couple of days. This cycle has been going on for awhile now. She has also become much pickier about her foods than she used to be. Many of her favorites are ones she doesn't want to eat at all now, and every day I wonder which food she is currently eating that she might just decide to reject! This is not something she routinely did even a couple of years back - so, I am guessing her age is playing a role. She gets her biggest meal in the AM, and after a bit of cleaning, she goes to sleep. She also sleeps most of her day away, and if there is a new item introduced to her that she can sleep on, it seems she will sleep more until she starts to get tired of her new sleeping utensil. I call them utensils because they are mostly boxes or wrapping paper that she loves to sleep in/on.

The other thing is that Feeby has arthritis, and I think that affects her behavior as well. I do give her a daily supplement for that and it has helped some. Do you know if Sassy has any arthritis that could be impacting her?

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi There!

Thank you for reply. I managed to request all of Sassy's records from primary vet in the event I search for another vet to take her if needed. Upon scrolling the scanned documents primary vet office sent me, it turns out Sassy DID go also around July of 2019 because of appetite issue which of course also resolved I think a month later. Her kidney indicators were slightly elevated but I don't think nothing too crazy.

As an update this morning, she still did come to my room ask for food around 3am/6am and ate some, then ate again around 9am. Seemed somewhat normal in terms of the amount she ate in those intervals. But of course she would go straight to sleep on her bed. It's true, whenever we got her a bed in past, she would love it for maybe days or a week or so, then just ignore it. Maybe will happen the same thing now? Its not like she's laying down wierdly too in that bed, the way she lays down in it she seems soooo comfortable.

Arthritis? Not sure, I would think maybe because shes quite old? She has stopped jumping to my nightable and desk for sure in past weeks as well, and whenever she finishes eating a slightly larger amount of food, as she walks away from her plate she kind of walks a bit wierd those first few moments. She then sits, clean her face, then goes back to walking normally and now usually straight to her bed. She had Xrays before and would be normal as well especially back in 2018, but i know its a long time from now. But it's her eating that I get primarily concerned with whenever she's off like she is now.

As for missing Charlie, yeah it was strange. I didn't think she would miss him because she NEVER got along with him but at times would sleep together on my brothers bed. Since his passing, she would sleep constantly on his bed and I wondered if she missed or still misses him. The first few weeks she would instead of sleeping, as mentinoe dbefore, she would just sit out in hallway or living room just staring blankly into the floor as if she was meditating or something. We thought maybe she thinks about Charlie in those times. Her appetite was fine those first days/weeks after Charlie Passing which I thought it was going to be the opposite...but she was fine. But it's nearly impossible to tell now if she's missing Charlie now or something is bothering her. True, it could be Sassy's age shes just getting so picky with food that her favorites food of recent years past are no more for her...but the hassle to just go buy individual varying can food brands/flavors is a bit stressful then just buying a case of Chewy of 24 cans... It is hard.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I still don't think the results look that bad.

As I understand it, creatinine is a bigger indicator of kidney issues that is the BUN (urea nitrogen). It's funny, but not really, that Feeby's BUN is 38 - one point higher than Sassy's. Feeby's creatinine is close to Sassy's at 1.9 - and her vet said he is not ready to focus specifically on her kidneys.

Feeby's calcium is a tad bit higher than Sassy's as well. And, I will tell you that the vet is a bit concerned over the high calcium and wants Feeby retested in March (her most recent test was earlier this month) to see if the calcium lowers or if more specific testing is needed to follow up why the level is high.

Here is a document discussing blood results and what highs/lows might mean, in case that helps any.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh - I forgot - about the food. I haven't bought Feeby anything in cases as I don't want to waste them. She currently gets about 7 or so different brands/flavors of food and I buy about 20 or so cans at a time. I also feed her Sheba Perfect Portions and the similar Nutro ones as well - in addition to the 3 oz cans of food I buy her. I give her a 3 oz can in the morning, as I can usually count on her to eat it all, then the rest of the day I give her the perfect portions as they are only about 1.32 oz per serving - that way I can dole those out to her as I see she has finished one. So, I get you about the food, but I've found buying only so much at a time is a better route for me to take.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh - I forgot - about the food. I haven't bought Feeby anything in cases as I don't want to waste them. She currently gets about 7 or so different brands/flavors of food and I buy about 20 or so cans at a time. I also feed her Sheba Perfect Portions and the similar Nutro ones as well - in addition to the 3 oz cans of food I buy her. I give her a 3 oz can in the morning, as I can usually count on her to eat it all, then the rest of the day I give her the perfect portions as they are only about 1.32 oz per serving - that way I can dole those out to her as I see she has finished one. So, I get you about the food, but I've found buying only so much at a time is a better route for me to take.
Interesting. Yeah when I took Sassys bloodwork to another vet back in 2019 I think, the vet there too agreed that her kidneys werent really being an issue and just insisted of giving her cerenia I think or famotidine cant remember. And I recall giving here that medication literally just one pill and then she was great soon after and didnt need it again. It was either she had some acid buildup or was nausea but at least then she looked kinda sick where she was hardly walk around and wasnt as interested in food as she is now. So I'd maybe tout with trying one of those pills? But I'm just guessing at that point, but she doesnt look nausea or at least thankfully not vomiting.

The other thing is her teeth. Never had problems...and I wonder in past few weeks she has been eating more dry food then ever before, so I wonder if that fills her up more? Or worse case maybe damaged her teeth? Sometimes she'll chew it and other times she would just swallow the dey food as inwouldnt hear a crunch. But if it's a tooth problem, I fear it because I had my primary vet actually di a tooth extraction on Charlie a week before he passed away( was a waste..) and he needed obviously anesthesia. So if sassy teeth are an issue, she may need same thing but I read online that it might be too risky as anaesthesia could affect her kidneys.

As for her feeding, i usually give her a 3 oz. Fancy feast can in morning early 6am...shed finish half usually (though before 2 weeks ago shed finish nearly entire can) and I'd serve it along with some dry food bits, a few. Then some dry food maybe 2 times during afternoon, then her dinner a 5.5oz can at 5pm. Shed eat abit, then once more around 9pm, then now more recently, again at around midnight. Those three spit dinners shed eat the same amount of the 5.5oz can as she used to in just one sitting months ago prior to charlie passing. But at times shed eat more then she used to in those 3 split dinners. So far her dinners arent really too affected...maybe slightly less in past week but it's her breakfast that lessened...but she doesnt make up for it later in day as one would expect. And now with this bed, she just sleeps away.

Yeah I was thinking of getting I individual cans as I started 2 days ago from target. So far this morning she ate one of those cans so far though she took bigger bites from the spoon i used to serve here rather than her plate...which was odd but she used to that too in past years too.

The other issue is with the 5.5 oz cans is putting fridge. Now she eats less at dinners so I gotta plastic wrap it and put it away in fridge. I do that but then it gets cold. And so by time she wakes up another 2 or 3 hours to eat dinner again, its bit too cold so I'm preemptively take it out guessing it maybe 20 min prior her waking up so can warm down so she can it it. Otherwise if it's too cold she just licks the food instead of chewing it. Its very...strange and definitely a hassle but I try my best for her yiu know?

I know she needs bloodwork to see anythjng is off, it's just trying to find the right truthful and knowledgable vet. My primary vet in 2017 said outright she has ckd because of her urine cloudy, while another cat just looked at her blood and said didnt see anything wrong ornindicating ckd. So it's like who can I trust? Maybe here in this site which had been so helpful. That's why I even posted her bloodwork as I questioned it too. My primary vet would just want her on that kd diet can but she hated it. And was told that it would weakened their muscles so I went to find on those charts commercial food with low phos since 2017.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use 5.5 oz cans in my house, because I have 5 cats to feed. We feed more than 1 food at each serving, so we put extras in the fridge. When we feed, I warm water in the microwave and add to the bowl, then place the food bowl in the microwave bowl like a water bath, mix the food with water so it's like thick oatmeal and serve. That gets extra water in my kitties and also the warmed up food entices them to eat. Hannah, my CKD kitty, doesn't eat all her food in one setting, so I offer it again about an hour later and she finishes. Recently, I've added freeze dried topping to her food and she is more keen on eating the first time, but she's very much on a schedule and if we're early or late with her food, she's less apt to eat well and it takes longer for her to finish her meal. She gets wet food in the morning and evening and dry crunchy snacks 3 times a day. If it's crunchy time, she won't eat wet food. lol

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you see my earlier post about the blood work with the attachment that explains some of the possible reasons for high/low readings? Thought it might help.
Yes actually just a few minutes ago I did. I saved the PDF as its very helpful!

I just saw Sassy wake up she went to drink water but just literally ate a cookie bit or two but that was it she was not interested in it at all, now she's back to sleep in her bed. I'll await till later tonight or in few hours hoping she willl eat something...

I've contacted my primary vet again...to see what days they are open because its New Years this week. But still in search for others in mean time. Problem is majority of them have great reviews, which is what I tried following for Charlie's diagnosis and where to take him, but, of the 3 places he went got pretty much mixed answers despite the "great reviews". I don't know how to select the one, and certainly don't want to gamble because I learned my lesson with Charlie, i felt his surgery was a Gamble and it costed his life. I can't and certainly don't want to do similar mistake again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just saw Sassy wake up she went to drink water but just literally ate a cookie bit or two but that was it she was not interested in it at all, now she's back to sleep in her bed. I'll await till later tonight or in few hours hoping she willl eat something...
I am not suggesting that there isn't something wrong with Sassy, as I can't guarantee there isn't something going on with Feeby either. But, just a few minutes ago, Feeby got up from a nap, ate 2 maybe 3 bites of food I just put down for her, and now she is in one her boxes ready to take another nap.

Do you have any friends/family/neighbors/co-workers to ask about a referral for another vet? If you have Next Door Neighbor web site, you could ask there too. I see those kinds of requests on my ND site all the time.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We use 5.5 oz cans in my house, because I have 5 cats to feed. We feed more than 1 food at each serving, so we put extras in the fridge. When we feed, I warm water in the microwave and add to the bowl, then place the food bowl in the microwave bowl like a water bath, mix the food with water so it's like thick oatmeal and serve. That gets extra water in my kitties and also the warmed up food entices them to eat. Hannah, my CKD kitty, doesn't eat all her food in one setting, so I offer it again about an hour later and she finishes. Recently, I've added freeze dried topping to her food and she is more keen on eating the first time, but she's very much on a schedule and if we're early or late with her food, she's less apt to eat well and it takes longer for her to finish her meal. She gets wet food in the morning and evening and dry crunchy snacks 3 times a day. If it's crunchy time, she won't eat wet food. lol
Wow, very interesting how your CKD kitty eats similarly to my Sassy - eating on specific timing and not eating well if either too early or late, it's the same way with Sassy - if I'm too early or usually too late it definitely throws her off.

Although it seems Sassy ate okay this morning, she just denied dry food - drank water, but now back to sleep. Hoping to open a new can when she wakes up in few hours to eat Part 1 of her dinner. It's strange though as I mentioned before, she would eat half of 5.5 oz cans in one sitting for dinner each night usually (1 time a night eating though) all the way up to around October before my other cat passed away. Afterwards, just began eating multiple smaller meals. The problem is that she got used to now these smaller meals so if she eats less of these smaller meals, its far more noticebale that she isn't eating well as she never makes up for that lesser amount she hate previously. She tries but doesn't come close.

Yeah Ive been placing her cold canned food by the heater to warm it up a touch - though not hot of course, make it close to room temperature as I can so she can try to eat it. Cold food she won't have it, not in recent days at least.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not suggesting that there isn't something wrong with Sassy, as I can't guarantee there isn't something going on with Feeby either. But, just a few minutes ago, Feeby got up from a nap, ate 2 maybe 3 bites of food I just put down for her, and now she is in one her boxes ready to take another nap.

Do you have any friends/family/neighbors/co-workers to ask about a referral for another vet? If you have Next Door Neighbor web site, you could ask there too. I see those kinds of requests on my ND site all the time.
Ah I can check, I just go by online primarily Yelp/Google Reviews. I guess I could still attempt once more my primary vet, get bloodwork done and post on here and see what my vet actually says? Then maybe go for 2nd opinion...but its just taking Sassy in a bag is stressful for her I know.

And wow what a coincidence how your Feeby ate literally same amount of food probably as my Sassy just did! Strange, and of course I totally understand you can't guarantee anything. We are here to base of our experiences and such as no cat is alike I'm sure.

In the past as I mentioned before, how come either a dose of Cerenia or Famotidine or even the one time 1mg of Mirtazapine, would be enough to like boost her appetite to eat from there on normally? You would think she'd be on those pills for like week(s) or long time to get her symptoms under control...but would just take one instance of either medication?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something very common with CKD kitties (this is my 2nd CKD cat) is constipation. If she's not eliminating, she won't be hungry. We add plain canned pumpkin to her food to keep things moving along, but I've noticed a decrease in output. I know she still poops, but not like she used to. Another common issue is indigestion. If her digestive tract is backed up from constipation or just from slowing bowel movements, this will often lead to indigestion. Kitties will refuse food when experiencing indigestion. Usually you will see lip smacking if your kitty is nauseous or has indigestion.

At this stage, you really want to get your kitty into the vet. Get a baseline on lab work and compare to older labs. Also, get a check of her teeth just to make sure nothing's going on there. Again, I think I mentioned this before, get a reading for her potassium level. CKD kitties need to be on the high side of normal for potassium. This helps with energy, alertness, and eating. Also, you can talk to the vet about arthritis. My girl has arthritis and is on 2 different supplements to help with that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In the past as I mentioned before, how come either a dose of Cerenia or Famotidine or even the one time 1mg of Mirtazapine, would be enough to like boost her appetite to eat from there on normally? You would think she'd be on those pills for like week(s) or long time to get her symptoms under control...but would just take one instance of either medication?
All of those meds, from my limited understanding, could have an impact with just one dose. So, I am not surprised that Sassy ate better afterward. But, were you told to continue the meds for a certain period of time, and didn't? And, how long after the dose you gave her wear off without additional doses?
Again, I think I mentioned this before, get a reading for her potassium level. CKD kitties need to be on the high side of normal for potassium.
If you read the blood work, her potassium level is fine.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Something very common with CKD kitties (this is my 2nd CKD cat) is constipation. If she's not eliminating, she won't be hungry. We add plain canned pumpkin to her food to keep things moving along, but I've noticed a decrease in output. I know she still poops, but not like she used to. Another common issue is indigestion. If her digestive tract is backed up from constipation or just from slowing bowel movements, this will often lead to indigestion. Kitties will refuse food when experiencing indigestion. Usually you will see lip smacking if your kitty is nauseous or has indigestion.

At this stage, you really want to get your kitty into the vet. Get a baseline on lab work and compare to older labs. Also, get a check of her teeth just to make sure nothing's going on there. Again, I think I mentioned this before, get a reading for her potassium level. CKD kitties need to be on the high side of normal for potassium. This helps with energy, alertness, and eating. Also, you can talk to the vet about arthritis. My girl has arthritis and is on 2 different supplements to help with that.
Interesting you bring up stool elimation. I would say about the past...5-6 days she has been passing stool just fine, no diarrhea or blood or anything like that. However, shortly before that about a week ago or so, she was passing little stool, not thin, but just far less then her usual amount. I thought it was because that diminished appetite and lesser amount of food to digest, (which is what my primary vet used to tell me for Charlie) I was getting scared she was starting that same path as Charlie did which he had blood in his stool, very few drops, thin stools too and dark which was that colon cancer. But with Sassy, this little amount of stool occured just about for 3-4 days then since resumed like normal amounts. I too was thinking maybe she was getting constipated and probably backs up everything in her digestive tract - thus not being too hungry from that full feeling, but now that shes eliminating just fine, wouldn't really apply I think for her not eating too well in recent days.

Yes I'd get her complete blood check to analyze including potassium, and see if anything is off. Usually our primary vet does both complete blood count and Xrays to rule out any masses or even Arhtrisits I think? Can Xrays show that? If so then I will know too if she has Arthritis.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hannah's potassium level is also "fine", but not optimal. Since we've been working to get it optimal, she's been less lethargic and more sociable. She even jumps up in our bed every night to snuggle with us. She hasn't done that for months.

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All of those meds, from my limited understanding, could have an impact with just one dose. So, I am not surprised that Sassy ate better afterward. But, were you told to continue the meds for a certain period of time, and didn't? And, how long after the dose you gave her wear off without additional doses?

If you read the blood work, her potassium level is fine.
Right, because the medication like Cerenia probably made her nausea go away (temporarily?) and/or Famotidine to reduce the acid in stomach.

Hard to tell when the medication wore off? Because again from arriving back home from the vet that day of visit, I gave her the pill soon after getting home, just one time, and she looked better soon after maybe after few hours? Ate well and from there was eating fine without giving her a 2nd pill. The office did say to give it to her for a week I believe once or twice daily, maybe i did give her twice in that first day but that was it as she was eating completely normal right after that 1st dose/day. She never needed it again until her appetite would act up months or so after.

At the same time, as you see in the bloodowrk leading to 2019, each time she went for bloodwork and get checked as to why she wasn't eating, there was no answer as it wasn't her CKD affecting her and everythign else would be normal (except for 2019 with calcium a notch high and urea nitrogen - though our primary vet didn't say anything about it nor to monitor it). So they woudl want me to try Cerenia and/or Famotidine and Mirtazapine.

My Primary vet also did say that bnack in 2017 she would have to come in every 3/4 months to get bloodwork done see how her CKD progresses and if its slow process, then every 6 months. I kinda kept up with that regiment of 6 months since 2017 but only because her appetite would flare up. but since august 2019, she was eating normal enough and then Covid came early 2020 so I was afraid to bring any of my cats in at the time for check up (cleaning, disinfecting at office, etc.).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Usually our primary vet does both complete blood count and Xrays to rule out any masses or even Arhtrisits I think? Can Xrays show that? If so then I will know too if she has Arthritis.
Yes, x-rays would indicate arthritis. That is how Feeby's was diagnosed.

May I ask what the vet saw in her blood work that made them think CKD? I mean, my vet hasn't suggested it so far, and yet, Feeby's readings are very similar to Sassy's.