my cat runs like a monkey

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't really a problem, just an amusing thing I've noticed over the past month or so. My 1 and a half year old cat Memphis is very tall, he stretches out to over 3 feet when he's laying down. Since he's so tall and lanky (only 12 lbs at that length) he looks really funny doing certain things, like sitting and running. He always looks like he's enormous because he sits with his front paws next to each other, and he crouches like the room is too small for him.

We have a 60 foot long hallway in my apartment, and he loves to sprint up and down it. I've been noticing that he runs a lot like a capuchin or spider monkey on all-fours. His tails curls over like a monkey's, and he has a semi-sideways way of running (it's more of a hopping lope most of the time, his full-out sprint is straight and an arrow) that makes him look like an animal with hands that decided to run on all-fours.

Does anyone else have a cat that runs like this, or in any other strange fashion? My 3 month old kitten runs more like what I envision as "normal cat running," yet my girlfriend's DLH runs like a raccoon (he's bushy-looking like a racoon, moves just his paws when skirting across the ground, and keeps his bushy racoon tail completely still when he runs). So that's 2/3 of the cats I know that run like some other form of animal, and my kitten may grow into it before too long.

Memphis is in general a very species-confused cat. He has to be part siamese with his completely triangular head, enormous eyes and long body, but he has a perfect tuxedo pattern with a white chest, strip of white down the belly, and white shirt cuffs and socks (paws). We live three doors away from the fire station, and he sprints into the sunroom to watch them take off and come back every time. I believe he thinks he's half siamese, half dalmatian.

This is Memphis, he doesn't much like having my phone (don't own a camera) thrust in his face, in case you couldn't tell

mikan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat runs exactly like how you're describing. He isn't my first cat so I noticed immediately and found it amazing that he does this. He is currently about ten months old, and has been doing this about since we got him at four months.
I always felt he's quite an unusual cat, not just the way he runs but the way he acts. He isn't near as afraid as some other cats, he won't run away from anything but rather crouch low (similar to the fashion you described) and he is fascinated with the swimming pool and even sticks his paws into it often. He actually plays fetch and will often bring his toys to us (mouse on a string, bouncy ball, etc) when he wants to play. He also sleeps with his tail curled in in the same way that he runs. Lastly, it was more apparent when he was younger because his fur has bushed out a little more, but he has a very triangular face (we called him "batface") so I wonder if there is some cross-breeding going on (maybe siamese run this way?) but he is entirely black in color.

justjayde

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My super long boy does this too - not all the time (when he is REALLY haulin butt he runs normally) it's more when he is being goofy he does it... his front end BOUNDS up and down like a monkey. It's adorable and silly and I chalk it up to him being quirky. I do think the kitty length has something to do with it too though. My boy - like yours is long long long (He is part ragdoll).

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Queen Eva ran funny with her middle hitched up after her spay because the stitches were pulling I think. She runs "normal" now.

Be sure Memphis is pooping and peeing normally, and eating right, as the strange posture may indicate pain. If all is well, then I guess that's just his thing.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our shelter has a cat that runs a little funny. One of our volunteers lovingly refers to her as the spider monkey. We noticed that she would swing one of her legs out from the hip instead of bending at the hip & knee. X-rays showed an old healed fracture. They thing that is the reason for her strange gait.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I see this was a thread from November!!! But, Memphis is a darling looking kitty! And looks mischeavous like a monkey
. Handsome boy!!!

yukipazookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is an old thread but I would just like to join and say that both my 1 year old and my 4 month run like that as well! They're constantly chasing each other and their backs get all hunched and their tails are curled inward like a monkey. It's so funny!
Kinda like this picture but imagine it running lol

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hes quite a handsome child and obviously part Siamese. Unfortunately, I can't help with your question though.

yukipazookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hes quite a handsome child and obviously part Siamese. Unfortunately, I can't help with your question though.
Lol your funny. I didn't have a question, I was making a statement.

But either way, I was just chiming in that my cats do it too. Funny stuff.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine hops like a rabbit. She had to have her tail amputated when I rescued her not sure if that why she's a hopper!!!

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's a cat that lives in these apts. that hops when it runs. I have no clue what breed it is.

CatLadyLoL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is super old but I was looking up "why does my cats tail look like a monkeys?" and this came up. My boy is 6 months but looks alot like yours, OP, lol. He is a long, tall, lanky tuxedo with all 4 white socks. He is hilarious. He is our 6th cat but our 5th living cat and our 2nd male, unfortunately we lost our 1st male to AKF at almost 2. He plays fetch, knows sit, doesn't meow but does this funny purr chitter noise, is always talking, loves to play, loves his humans and whatever they are doing...even if it means taking a shower lol. He will literally try to eat the food out of your mouth and then make a game out of it, he plays tag and hide with "his" teenager siblings (our children) and loves to be fully stretched out like a yoga pose and will reach up and ask for it and also rolls over and wants to be carried like a baby so you can rub his belly while you carry him. He runs sideways like a monkey though, curls his tail like a monkey, uses his front paws like hands sometimes 😆 and is too smart for his own good. He was actually a mixed Manx cross whatever breed of barn cat that we happened to fall in love with when he was so tiny cause he ran to us not from us at my husband's Aunts cattle ranch. We have had a few different breeds but he is a funny man of his own lol.
Snapchat-1596620594.jpg