My cat randomly lost one of his canines

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was looking at my cat and noticed his bottom left canine is missing. I always check on my cats and it def was there yesterday and I was going to take him in when I had time to get his teeth checked but when I looked at him just now it was missing. it had a black ring maybe an eighth of an inch up and was fairly yellow too. His other teeth are kind of yellow but don't have any black spots like this one did. I'm just super worried because I can see the open spot there in his mouth now and worried about if its going to heal okay. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, eating just fine, and acting like himself. We have a puppy that plays rough sometimes so idk maybe he got slammed into something with his bad tooth? it's very cleanly out of there like no tooth left at all.

Just an update; I did find his tooth kind of where you would expect a cats tooth to fall out and that's by their food dish. So I'm guessing he was just eating some dry kibble and it must have just fallen out that way but I did swap it out for some wet food for now.

I also took two photos if you see a tiny white spec on the first photo its just a tiny bit of cat little that got stuck on it after falling out.

Age 10

Attachments

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would advise to consult the vet, especially if he doesn't have his teeth cleaned regularly. I admit I am the world's worst for not taking mine for proper dental check-ups. They freak out and I am so scared of anything where they need to be put under. However, dental problems are painful and can lead to more severe issues. I wouldn't take any chances. I wish you the best and please keep us updated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Back in the day, with my first cat, he lost a couple of teeth over time. I never did anything about it, and he never suffered from it as far as I could tell. He continued to eat/drink just fine, and never acted as if he had any issues. However, today, being older and wiser, if it were to happen to my current cat, I would most certainly have the vet take a look at her mouth/teeth. If your cat is in good health otherwise, it is likely the vet will recommend a teeth cleaning.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My main concern is whether or not some of the root is still in there. If so, it can cause issues on down the road. I'd definitely take him in to be checked. they may need to take an xray to see. (which is normally part of a dental, even for cats)