My cat questions!

Cloverthekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I decided to put all my questions in one thread :

Should my cat live inside or inside and outside ?
What litter box should i use ?
Which litter is best ?
Which harness is best ?

Sorry for all the questions !

Walkersmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Question 1: Inside is best for a cat. Less dangerous to them. However, once you allow them out the first time, they will want out a lot since they are predatory animals by nature. I would suggest making them a catio instead if possible. It appeals to their wild side while still keeping them safely within your sight.

Question 2: Personally I prefer a covered litter box because there is less mess. It depends on your cat really. Some cats don't like the covered ones. I would start with a covered litter box because its more convenient for you.... If your kitty refuses to use it, remove the cover and see how she/ he does. Small kittens should have a small shallow litter pan to start though. I even used a aluminum pie pan for the really little ones.

Question 3:For clean up and smell reduction, we always used Tidy Cat Glade... not the "light"... the kitties will drag that all over the house. It may weigh less, but it also tends to stay on their toes longer and leave a loooongggg trail through the house.

Question 4: Harnesses are very tricky with cats so start early.... most cats are too independent for harnesses. I recommend googling harnesses and harness training for cats before even starting. I have had at least 12 cats in the last 15 years and not one liked/adjusted to it. Start young and slowly I'm told.

Good luck, Hope this helps

catheetiem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Generally people will recommend keeping keeping your cat indoors, it helps protect them from disease and injury that they're more than likely to encounter if they're outdoor cats. Growing up, all of my cats were indoor/outdoor, and they did suffer for it. Multiple cats got into fights with wild animals and needed treatment from the vet to recover. We had two cats that (at different times) ended up with abscesses from their injuries. Cleaning those was awful for everyone. The cats were always kept in at night, but one night our sweet Boo ran out the door and never came home. We searched for him for weeks and weeks, but never found him. He was a really special cat and he was only 5 years old. I was the one who opened the door that he shot out of, this was 13 years ago and I still feel insanely guilty.

Litter box depends on your cat's preferences, as well as your own. I'd start off with a basic open-top box and see how it goes with your cat. Some cats like hoods, some don't, some cats prefer the top-entry ones (so I've heard, never experienced that myself!) Also depends on where you're keeping your box and your cat's habits. My new kitten has shown a preference for pooping at the very edge of the box, no matter how large, resulting in a lot of poops on the rim or on the floor, so he will be getting a hood soon 😂

Litter also depends on you and your cat. Kittens need non-clumping litter; if they eat clumping litter it can gum up their digestive tract. People have all sorts of preferences, personally we've always used traditional clumping litter and have had no issues.

Harness also depends! I've only ever used the thin ones with a neck hole and belly hole (like this: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/good2go-black-kitten-harness-and-lead-set). Especially now, this is the only kind I've found in store that comes in kitten size, so that's what we're using! I'd like to try leg-hole ones (like this: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...a-and-coral-chevron-cat-harness-and-leash-set) but I have heard of people having issues with cats being able to get out of those kinds easily, so there's that.

Sorry this is so long, but hope it helps a little! Do you have your new cat already?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cloverthekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Generally people will recommend keeping keeping your cat indoors, it helps protect them from disease and injury that they're more than likely to encounter if they're outdoor cats. Growing up, all of my cats were indoor/outdoor, and they did suffer for it. Multiple cats got into fights with wild animals and needed treatment from the vet to recover. We had two cats that (at different times) ended up with abscesses from their injuries. Cleaning those was awful for everyone. The cats were always kept in at night, but one night our sweet Boo ran out the door and never came home. We searched for him for weeks and weeks, but never found him. He was a really special cat and he was only 5 years old. I was the one who opened the door that he shot out of, this was 13 years ago and I still feel insanely guilty.

Litter box depends on your cat's preferences, as well as your own. I'd start off with a basic open-top box and see how it goes with your cat. Some cats like hoods, some don't, some cats prefer the top-entry ones (so I've heard, never experienced that myself!) Also depends on where you're keeping your box and your cat's habits. My new kitten has shown a preference for pooping at the very edge of the box, no matter how large, resulting in a lot of poops on the rim or on the floor, so he will be getting a hood soon 😂

Litter also depends on you and your cat. Kittens need non-clumping litter; if they eat clumping litter it can gum up their digestive tract. People have all sorts of preferences, personally we've always used traditional clumping litter and have had no issues.

Harness also depends! I've only ever used the thin ones with a neck hole and belly hole (like this: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/good2go-black-kitten-harness-and-lead-set). Especially now, this is the only kind I've found in store that comes in kitten size, so that's what we're using! I'd like to try leg-hole ones (like this: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...a-and-coral-chevron-cat-harness-and-leash-set) but I have heard of people having issues with cats being able to get out of those kinds easily, so there's that.

Sorry this is so long, but hope it helps a little! Do you have your new cat already?
I don't have my cat yet , and thankls !

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1.indoor is the best choice but if he or she will be an only cat it will be up to you to find ways of entertainment,play and things to explore which are crucial for their physical and emotional well being. Older cats are less demanding in that respect
2 and 3. Compared to silica litter, clumping is better I haven't tried other types. Small particles clump better it will be easier to clean. Large size open box is also easier to clean and therefore less smelly.
4.harness training is a lot of work but can be fun for you and the cat, assuming he or she hasn't done it before. Thinner material is better so it won't overwhelm the cat. They don't pull on the harness like dogs so no danger as long as it's fastened safely

Cloverthekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1.indoor is the best choice but if he or she will be an only cat it will be up to you to find ways of entertainment,play and things to explore which are crucial for their physical and emotional well being. Older cats are less demanding in that respect
2 and 3. Compared to silica litter, clumping is better I haven't tried other types. Small particles clump better it will be easier to clean. Large size open box is also easier to clean and therefore less smelly.
4.harness training is a lot of work but can be fun for you and the cat, assuming he or she hasn't done it before. Thinner material is better so it won't overwhelm the cat. They don't pull on the harness like dogs so no danger as long as it's fastened safely
Alright , thanks !

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you own your home and have a yard or porch that can be enclosed, you can build a catio for the cat to safely enjoy the outdoors.

One important thing you need for your cat is a vet. Get recommendations for vets from other local pet owners.

Cloverthekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you own your home and have a yard or porch that can be enclosed, you can build a catio for the cat to safely enjoy the outdoors.

One important thing you need for your cat is a vet. Get recommendations for vets from other local pet owners.
I know a very good local cat vet .
I have a yard , its my parents .