My cat prefers being outside

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a balcony where they cant really scape.. or i thought so until i saw one of my cats trying to jump into my neighbors house... I got her quickly back in, now she goes with the harness to the balcony but today i noticed that she refuses to go back it, I spent Nearly 2h outside with her and i had to force her to get back in, i have to do house stuff as well and i cant do that in the balcony. I had to pick her up but she kept jumping out of my hands - shes now crying at the door begging to go outside but im scared, i don't want her to go on her own, shes not spayed and shes smarter than I thought.. anything that I could do or should i let her go outside on her own, my neighbor has a dangerous breed dog that tried to attack me twice as well, that kinda adds up to my fear

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give a cat an inch, they want a mile.

You could let her out on a leash. As far as the whining, regular times could help. You could even set an alarm. That way, the cat "knows" that bugging you won't change anything, its the alarm at a particular time that leads to her going out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[
Give a cat an inch, they want a mile.

You could let her out on a leash. As far as the whining, regular times could help. You could even set an alarm. That way, the cat "knows" that bugging you won't change anything, its the alarm at a particular time that leads to her going out.
Shes not fully vaccined yet, only from panleukopenia, i also let her go to our garden but shes scared of it and hides under the chairs/tables. I usually let her go out to the balcony after breakfast, lunch and sometimes at around 7pm if she is really excited - i will try setting a schedule, maybe removing morning because I'll start school soon which will lead her to wait impatiently I guess, I'll see. Thank you!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since she's not spayed yet, it's possible some of her desire to go outside is her looking to find a mate. So things might get better once she spayed. However, some cats just love to be outside.

If you need tips on making your balcony cat safe, here's a couple links with some ideas:
How To Cat Proof A Balcony (9+ Low-Cost Simple Solutions!)
Build a Cat Proof Balcony, Because Your Cat WILL Jump Off the Balcony
I don't think she is in heat yet^^ she doesn't show any other signs, she probably tried to jump out of curiosity, shes a very curious cat, she gets scared a lot due to her curious personality (she moves stuff that are very noisy ops) btw we have a safe balcony now ^^ thank you!!

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I apologize, I didn't see if you mentioned, are you planning to have her spayed?
Yes!! But i have no idea of when, i have to talk with my parents and they think its not that important, i already told them how dangerous a female in heat is, they will probably get her spayed as soon as they see by themselves oops

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
And once she’s spayed, maybe you can create a balcony catio! THAT would let her be outside w/out escaping, depending on size of balcony.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest spaying, microchipping & fully vaccinating her. Set up a schedule where she gets the same hour outsidd every day, then comes in for her meal. After she is spayed/vacinated I would give her a daily short walk plus an hour in her balcony. I think building a catio out of your balcony would be ideal.

My guy gets 1-4 hours outside every day (depending on weather) on his long leash. I read or play a game on my tablet while he hunts around my balcony.

If you can set up bird feeders in trees that are in line of sight in your balcony. Until she is healed from being spayed I would only let her look out on the balcony through a locked screen door.

Here is how Jackie spends most of his outside time, hunkered down, hiding and trying to hunt birds. On his walks he rolls around in dirt, eats grass, marks his territory, climbs the occasional tree, sniffs everything & tries to catch a squirrel. He does all that in his harness.

Attachments