My cat poops on my aunts bed! It’s not revenge!

Miuu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is toilet trained, she’s nearly 10 years old.
I’ve been living with my aunt for the past 2 years and my cat suddenly one day peed and pooped on her bed. We passed it off as a one-time occurrence but it happened again within a week.
So since those events we made my aunts room off-limits and keep the door closed.
But any time the door is accidentally left open for even 1 minute by accident she rushes in there and poops and pees on the bed with no exception. My aunt is convinced it’s because my cat hates her even though I tell her cats can’t think like that.
There is also a guest room in the house with a double bed, the door is also kept shut and made off-limits in case, however if the door is left open there she never once has tried to go toilet on that bed.

I just wish she wouldn’t do it, it gets frustrating to have to rush to wash my aunts bedding before she comes home and hide that the cat got in. Because sometimes the door opens by itself (old house). I just don’t understand WHY.
Is it a scent marking thing?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beds are the #1 spot for accidents. Cats like to kneed sheets and covers, it sort of feels like burying waste to them. A 10 year old cat doing it for the first time may have had a reason for the first time (like being sick) but the repeats could have a separate reason:

(1) repeats might be because the bed hasn't been properly cleaned and still smells. The washing machine *might* be fine for sheets, but if its in the mattress, you definitely need an enyme cleaner; or

(2) repeats might mean its become a habit. In which case, excluding from the room for a few weeks should help;

(3) The cat might still be sick, although if that is the *only* place its happening even with the door closed for days, I don't necessarily think this is the most likely scenario; or

(4) stress pee & pooping is a real thing. I had cats pee in our suitcases when we came home from a trip, and others have had similar experiences. I don't know that "I don't like this one person" pee/pooping is a real thing, although I've heard some people say so. If the cat is stressed, there should be other signs of it as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miuu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She can go months at a time without being in that room and still darts in and does it immediately when there’s an opportunity.

it might well be because of the scent, I have tried to wash the mattress to the best of my ability with bleach and other penetrating product but there are stains from the wee so it could be likely there is still fragrance deep within.

thank you for taking the time to reply!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least in the US, these days almost every place that sells pet products including walmart and target sells an enzyme cleaner, which is must better than bleach for something like a mattress. Really, for anything that can't go in the washing machine, its the superior option. I mean, its probably superior regardless, but it does have some extra cost to it and may not be necessary for stuff that can go in the washing machine.

Other than that, its a puzzling situation. Is that the only bed with a certain type of bedding? I've also heard of cats being attracted to certain scents, so if your aunt washes her stuff separately that might be something to inquire about.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might try calling professional cleaning service, maybe even a carpet cleaning company, and ask if they have a way to remove the smell entirely. If not, you could consider flipping the mattress over, and after making the bed, cover it during the day with a plastic tarp (you could even buy a shower curtain for this purpose). Whatever plastic you use to cover the bed/bedding with should be aired out as most plastics smell strongly directly out of the packaging. Your aunt can fold the plastic covering up at night, and replace it in the morning. Most cats don't like the plastic, and if by chance she would get in that room and still get on the bed, the plastic covering will protect the bedding underneath. A plastic mattress cover could be on the mattress, but that wouldn't protect the bedding, just the mattress.

If you are 'handy', there are all kinds of DIY instructions on the internet about how to resolve problems that might be causing the door to latch/shut improperly - or, find a local handyman that could fix it for you. That would preclude having to deal with the plastic covering idea.

Lastly, does your aunt use any kind of special lotions or ointments before she goes to bed at night that might be an attractant to the cat? If this were the case you could at least put your aunt's mind at ease about her concerns that the cat might not like her!