My cat poops mucus , please help!

Emma95kh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
My cat Biscuits, is 1 1/2 years old
Last week i noticed my cat’s stool had red blood in it. She seemed fine, she is very playful and eating full meals and drinking lots of water, her bowl movement is normal-ish, she goes to the bathroom once a day.
I took her to the vet, she got some shots for the bloody stool and for intestine inflammation.
After a day, no moor blood and no more diarrhea. Also, deworming pill.
Now, for the past couple of days, i noticed that her poop has mucus in it, like she would finish pooping, then she would squeeze clear thick liquid out. It never happened before,
We are moving from a house to another house, and she seemed a little stressed because we are moving furniture and stuff.

Should i take her to the vet again? I only had her for 6 weeks, and i have been to the vet at least 8 times now!

Desti

Desti & Fantasia
Kitten
Purraise
I cannot advise you, but it sounds like you have a competent vet so if possible I would take my kitty in. One time one of my kitties had some blood in her stools and the vet recommended Hill's food for sensitive stomachs. And, frequent brushing to reduce hairballs..

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Emma95kh.

It would be helpful to know exactly what those "shots" were.

As for mucous......
POOP
Mucous merits an additional word. Mucous is not digestible so even excessive swallowed mucous from an upper respiratory condition might conceivably be recognized in/on the stool. Mucous membrane lines the entire digestive tract, including the large intestine, membrane constantly producing mucous to one extent or another. So poop always contains mucous and is coated in mucous. Mucous membrane lines the upper respiratory tract, too, also constantly producing mucous to protect and lubricate itself, trap incoming foreign particles, and act as the frontline in immune function. Mucous from the upper respiratory tract continuously flows down the throat unnoticed and is swallowed, by ourselves and cats and dogs and other creatures with noses. Mucous is normal, chronic excessive production is not. We notice when production is excessive but do not tend to notice normal production.​
While mucous is not digestible, it is fermentable to some extent. However, since the entire bowel is lined with mucous membrane which is constantly on the job, the poop is in contact with mucous right up to the moment it is expelled.....​
So, mucous is always present in and on the stool, whether/not we see it.

You might think about taking a wander around that site......it can be very helpful knowing what's going on inside Biscuits.

It would also be helpful to know what the Vet thought the problem was (diagnosis), and what the shots were supposed/expected to do (treatment).....and what you were advised to expect (outcome).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with white shadow white shadow 's questions and comments. Knowing a bit more about the shots Biscuits had, and what the vet's assessment was would go a long way to possibly understanding what might be going on.

The other thing you could consider doing is taking a stool sample, one with the mucous included to the vet for testing. They can run a full fecal PCR which checks for more than just parasites - it looks for various bacterial and viral issues as well. Just confirm your vet will accept a sample without seeing Biscuits. If so, collect the sample, bag it and take it to the vet. If need be, you can refrigerate it for a few hours if you can't get to the vet right away and it will not compromise the sample.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm also curious about the other shots and what the vet said.

white shadow white shadow already posted some good information on mucous. I'll add that it can also be a sign of inflammation, something the vet has already apparently diagnosed. Here's a good article on inflammatory bowel disease in cats that also mentions mucous and bloody stool. Bloody stool with mucous was an early sign of IBD in our previous cat and the vets at the practice we took her to didn't think it was a serious problem. It wasn't initially -- it only happened very occasionally for some years -- but it developed over her life. She still lived a good long life but I wish everybody had realized much earlier what was really happening inside her. On another mucous-related note, one of our cats was once, ah, excreting fairly large amounts of mucous like Biscuits is -- it turned out she'd eaten a plant, something that would certainly stress the body. (Edwina was not eating, playing, or acting at all normally, though: I'm just mentioning that to say that other things can cause heavy mucous generation.)

All that said, given what you say about stress, moving, and recent adoption, I have to wonder if stress is a big contributor her. I think my suggestion would be like FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's: call the vet, discuss the mucous, and do more tests.

Good luck!