My Cat Poops Liquid

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ever since we got him, Hemingway has had nasty, smelly #2s. Like--I've cleaned up less offensive dog poop. We thought it was related to his chicken allergy, but lately, he's been having a lot more liquid poops than ever before. Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you had him checked for worms?

Did you switch his food from what he was eating to something new?

I always recommend purée pumpkin (canned, can be found at pet stores or grocery stores). Replace a bit of his food with the pumpkin, or give some to him as a treat 2-3 times throughout the day for a week+. The pumpkin is all natural and can help make him more "regular", and will also help make his poops less watery.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like you took him off of any chicken, yes? What if it isn't actually the chicken, but other ingredients in the foods you have fed/are feeding him? Compare all the ingredients in the foods you have tried to see if there might be another common denominator. Certain binders (guar, and other gums) bother some cats, others cannot tolerate grains (like wheat), or unnecessary additives like peas or corn, etc.

If you have already checked for worms and the results came back negative, you might consider going another step and having a full fecal PCR test done which would check for various bacterial/viral issues, in addition to parasites.

How long have you had Hemmingway and how old is he? If he is a recent addition to your home, and ate something else before you adopted him, you might consider putting him back on whatever food he was eating before and start over with gradually introducing other foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He definitely needs the chicken free diet because he's got skin issues too. He used to obsessively lick his fur off. Now he's fluffy and even a little chubby. Things seemed to be going fine on a chicken free. We went from Tiki Cat to Soulistic but thats been the only real change. Both our cats eat the same thing but the other seems ok in the poop department.

We have had Hemingway for about two years now. He was scraggly when we got him and our vet suggested no chicken, plus he is on antihistamines. Maybe a vet visit is in order.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We went from Tiki Cat to Soulistic but thats been the only real change. Both our cats eat the same thing but the other seems ok in the poop department.
Compare the ingredients - Hemmingway may have another ingredient that bothers him and it doesn't mean it would necessarily bother your other cat.

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Compare the ingredients - Hemmingway may have another ingredient that bothers him and it doesn't mean it would necessarily bother your other cat.
Will do. The main reason I switched was because Soulistic had way more varieties in flavors. I guess it's time to start doing a food journal for him. Thank you! At least I have some idea of what to do.

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I had a cat with that symptom I would be on the phone making an appointment with a Vet ASAP.

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I had a cat with that symptom I would be on the phone making an appointment with a Vet ASAP.
He’s done this as long as I’ve had him. Chicken free was what the vet suggested and I’ve been doing that since. His poops aren’t always like this but they are definitely almost always smelly.