My cat poops every 3 days

Bishoy.ishak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 year old male cat used to regularly poop every day when he was on royal canin sterilised 37
He had some urinary problems so I changed his diet to royal canin urinary s/o, and ever since he can go over 48 hours with passing any stool
Though when he does poop he's not straining and the stool looks normal
I tried olive oil and it didn't work he still held it for 51 hours even after the olive oil
Should I be concerned about him going over 48 hours without passing any stool ?
P.S. his vet got infected with covid-19 so I can't go to the vet for the time being

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it only happened every once in a while, I would say no as it could just be a stubborn hair ball or a lack of water "that day". But if it's a chronic issue now, the food may not be right for him.
Unfortunately, sometimes the food is needed...I had a cat that needed to be on a urinary prescription diet too.
Perhaps feed him the canned version of the prescription food so he gets more moisture?
If this becomes a significant issues over time and he goes longer and longer without passing stool he could develop mega colon.
I know of some members on this site who manage this with a maintenance does of mirilax to keep things moving. But I wouldn't start anything like that without a vet diagnosis.
You could also try egg yolk powder, it's a natural laxative, and perhaps in consistent small doses it will keep things moving.
My boy gets chronically constipated, due to hairballs and we use hairball gel and have him on a fiber and probiotic food from the vet. So maybe a probiotic supplement would help?
Do you have another vet you could e-mail for advice? What has your vet said about the constipation?
I would recommend that as soon as your vet is available that you bring him in though, it hopefully won't be long before he's back.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If he doesn't have constipation, going every 3 days might be normal for him on the food he is eating. How long has he been on the RC SO and has his pooping routine been consistently the same since introducing this food to him? I would, as Jem Jem suggested above, add some of the canned SO to his diet if all he is eating is the dry version. See if you can entice him to drink more water - perhaps get him a water fountain? You can also give some of the other suggestions above a try to see if any of them helps him to have more frequent BMs. But, for sure, keep an eye on his stool to make sure he doesn't become constipated.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Allie, my persian goes every 3 days since well forever

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bishoy.ishak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for replying
Yeah his pooping routine is almost the same every 48-53 hours since I changed to SO diet
Unfortunately I live in Egypt and the RC products aren't widely available, so I don't think we have the canned wet version of the SO diet neither the water fountain
He loves milk and drinks pretty well everyday
I did some research and found that the SO diet has only 2.1% fiber compared to 6.1% for the sterilised 37 maybe that's the problem ?
Again thanks everyone for responding so fast you're the best <3

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He loves milk and drinks pretty well everyday
Cow's milk??? Most cats are lactose intolerant, and although he may have not had any adverse effects that you've seen. Perhaps if he really loves milk, give him a slightly diluted (with water) raw goats milk instead. It is highly nutritious, and overall just better.
SO diet has only 2.1% fiber compared to 6.1% for the sterilised
If you feel he consumes enough water and want to try and add some fiber to his diet. Every couple days, you could give him some pumpkin puree (pure, plain...not pie filling, no spices). I'm not sure how easily available it is where you are but here you can buy it in a can at any grocery store. Try a half a teaspoon at first to see if it helps. But he needs to get enough water, otherwise it will just constipate him further. Some cats like it on it's own, but you could, as a treat, mix it with a small amount of canned food. If it's just a few teaspoons of whatever canned food you can get a hold of, I'm sure it wont interfere with how the RC SO works for your kitty. I gave my boy treats that were not SO specific, and he still did OK. He might even tolerate it if you just mix it in a small portion of his dry food. But you could ask your vet about that.
Other members have also used psyllium fiber...perhaps someone else will come along and mention what kind is best as I'm not sure which source of psyllium is recommended for cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bishoy.ishak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cow's milk??? Most cats are lactose intolerant, and although he may have not had any adverse effects that you've seen. Perhaps if he really loves milk, give him a slightly diluted (with water) raw goats milk instead. It is highly nutritious, and overall just better.

If you feel he consumes enough water and want to try and add some fiber to his diet. Every couple days, you could give him some pumpkin puree (pure, plain...not pie filling, no spices). I'm not sure how easily available it is where you are but here you can buy it in a can at any grocery store. Try a half a teaspoon at first to see if it helps. But he needs to get enough water, otherwise it will just constipate him further. Some cats like it on it's own, but you could, as a treat, mix it with a small amount of canned food. If it's just a few teaspoons of whatever canned food you can get a hold of, I'm sure it wont interfere with how the RC SO works for your kitty. I gave my boy treats that were not SO specific, and he still did OK. He might even tolerate it if you just mix it in a small portion of his dry food. But you could ask your vet about that.
Other members have also used psyllium fiber...perhaps someone else will come along and mention what kind is best as I'm not sure which source of psyllium is recommended for cats.
We don't have pumpkin puree here in Egypt
I've seen many posts mentioning the pumpkin puree but unfortunately it's not available here :/
He never showed any symptoms from drinking milk though
Now I'm trying to mix both RC SO and sterilised cuz it has more fibre content
I hope that works cuz my vet is not doing very well at the moment

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I'm trying to mix both RC SO and sterilised cuz it has more fibre content
You have to be careful though, because if your kitty doesn't eat enough of the food for the urinary issue then there could be a relapse, which would not be great if you can't get to the vet.
If you want to add fiber, I would think adding some wet food may be better. At least that way your kitty will get the extra moisture for the urinary issue, and there is less filler in wet food, so would hopefully help with the pooping.
I'm not sure of you give your kitty treats, but perhaps stop giving the actual treat and toss the sterilized kibble as the treat. I've done that with my cats before, because your tossing them at them and giving them individually, and because it's a different flavor then the regular food they think it's a treat.

Again, you don't want to mess too much with the SO.