My cat pooped a large hairball this evening

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not long ago I posted about how my cat has been constipated until recently, and he was put on Laxatone several days ago.  Yesterday I was so thrilled that he pooped twice the same day, according to his old schedule.  Today he didn't do that.

Pumpkin didn't poop until a short time ago and he was straining.  He pooped out two small firm "balls" then one piece just kept hanging on, so he got out of the litterbox and dragged his fanny across the floor to get his last piece of poo to come out.  It was kind of long - going on 1 1/2-2 inches, not very wide, but it was an oblong hairball covered with poop.  

That scared me.  I never saw him do that before.  He didn't seem in pain, just strained to get that last bit out.  He didn't bother to go back to his box and cover his stuff like usual.  I always take his stuff out of the box when he's done and flush it, just to keep my small apartment from stinking up.  Even then he goes and covers up the spot he used.  Not this time.

I had to run to the bathroom myself, and when I came out I found him on my bed.  He didn't look like he felt good, but I had to try and check his fanny in case it was in rough shape.  He wouldn't let me look and he jumped off my bed.  Pumpkin then started to eat again.

i don't get this.  I know the Laxatone is supposed to help pass hairballs, so it did it's job.  How do I know there's not more hairballs inside of him?  He's been eating good since his trip to the vet's a few days ago.  He ate good today, peed about as much as usual and played with his laser light toy earlier.

Should I be worried?  Should I call the vet's tomorrow and tell them about this?  He seems ok now but I'm worried.  Laxatone is supposed to help hairballs get passed but I thought that if that was an issue, I would have seen one by now.

Btw, he hasn't thrown up.  Yet.  

Help!

A worried kitty mommy

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just to be sure, I would call the vet and ask if this is normal.  I don't think you should be really worried, but I know we all obsess when one of our furkids is not feeling well.

At least you know the Laxatone is working.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats poop "hairballs" all the time - in fact, their poops are often mainly hair covered by a thin layer of poop. I rather have that than them throwing up hairballs :nod:
They eat raw, and the poop volume is very very small, so the hair is very noticeable.....
IMHO it is nothing to worry about - on the contrary - it is a sign that the laxatone is working :wavey:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll call the vet's again in the morning and let them know what happened.   Since I wrote that post, he's been acting pretty good though.  He just finished another snack. drank more water and has been playing with his catnip rats again.  He couldn't be doing all that if he was in distress.

I'm glad I have the Laxatone and will keep giving it to him 3 times a day until they say otherwise.  Pumpkin has a vet's appt on Tuesday for a distemper booster.  Maybe they'll just have me keep a close eye on this until then.

Diana

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This morning my Pumpkin had one massive poop.  It looked like he had two trips' worth, which made me happy as can be.

So I flushed it away and the day went on as usual.  My baby ate, drank, peed and played like crazy.  This afternoon he was as active as usual.  A short time ago I fixed his dinner and he turned up his nose at it (the canned part).  Sometimes he won't eat right away so I didn't think anything of it.

He was running around with his laser light and suddenly parked himself in front of my bed.  Pumpkin started having what I think was a dry heave. It looked like he was going to throw up, but then he stopped short.  I don't know if cats can be like some people (like me), who will resist the urge to vomit because it's so unpleasant?

After that he went back to normal.  Pumpkin walked around some, had a snack (some dry food) and now he's parked in one of his favorite spots on my bed.  What gives?

Could this be another hairball?  I didn't see him do this before.  He's thrown up in the past, but never had a dry heave to my knowledge.

Now he's acting like nothing's happened and he's grooming himself.  I don't know what to make of this. He was fine and dandy this morning.  Then acted like having a dry heave.  Now he's acting like it didn't happen.

Am I too worked up about this?  He hasn't pooped since this morning, but there was so much that I didn't expect him to go again today.

Thoughts, anyone?  I'm still giving him the Laxatone.

Thanks!

Diana

P.S.  When I called the vet's this morning I was told he should be ok, just keep an eye on him.  That it can wait until his appt for his distemper booster on Tuesday.  It was about a half hour after this call that he had that massive poop.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not really familiar with Laxatone, but if he's pooping regularly, 3x a day seems like it might be a bit excessive. ???? You can ask on Tuesday.

However, that "dry hack" you describe sounds VERY much like the "hairball hack." It's not that he's trying not to throw up - that is you transferring a human quality to a cat. Cats, if they have to throw up, they do. Feels better to have whatever it is out. And if they need to throw up, if they have the tools to help them do so (cat grass), they will, they'll eat so they do throw up. No, this is something that goes hand-in-hand with hairballs. It's very normal for kitties with hairballs to have dry heaves. They may also throw up what looks like undigested food hours after not eating. When that happens, the hairball is sitting on the bottom of their stomach, preventing normal digestion.

I give you this information, as it seems like you may be dealing with hairballs regularly with your kitty.

The key to all of this is his behavior - he's not acting sick. Everything else is normal. That helps you understand what's going on is hairballs, not illness. They can put kitty off food sometimes, as they can make them feel a little nauseous from time-to-time.

But in the end, if you're in the U.S., it IS shedding season. And it sounds like you may want to invest in a Furminator. It's a special comb that does a GREAT job of removing the undercoat, which is what sheds. If you use it on him daily, that'll go a long way to removing the fur that's causing the hairballs.

I don't know if you want to consider seeing a holistic vet or not, but if a kitty is having an ongoing issue with hairballs, there's an issue with digestive motility. Traditional vets aren't trained to look at hairballs this way, only vets additionally trained in Chinese Medicine are. But for your consideration:

http://consciouscat.net/2010/04/28/some-startling-new-thoughts-on-cats-and-hairballs/

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/hairballs-cats.htm

Basically, it's best to also consider at least a grain-free diet of canned food only instead of kibble.

You may also want to consider using egg yolk lecithin for daily maintenance. Lecithin emulsifies the fat, making it easier to digest (and fat is what binds up the hairball in the kitty). I use Swanson's: Carolina uses Nature's Plus. Those are the two choices.

But as Carolina points out, pooping out hairballs is NORMAL. That's what SHOULD be happening. My cats are also on raw food, and their poop is basically hair with a thin poop shell on it.

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/hairballs-cats.htm

Last edited:

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LDG,

I'll check out those links you suggested.   I started to groom Pumpkin with a comb the vet gave me and he loves it.  Only problem is, it takes a long time to get excess hair off of him with it.  

Isn't there a special glove that can be worn that, when rubbed on a cat, removes excess hair?  

My little baby is doing good today.  He had another poop overnight.  None since then, but he's acting normally.  He ate, played, etc.  At the moment he's taking another nap!  :)

Thanks!

Diana

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you groom him?  If he is longhair he needs through combing, probably every day at this time of the year when he will be shedding.  Brushes make the top look nice but don't get right through his coat.  I have used a Ferminator and found it awkward compared to a small comb with a handle.  Some cats have to be groomed in small sections, either starting at the head and combing forwards or starting at the tail and combing backwards.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 4 long haired cats - nothing beats the furminator IMHO. And I have lots of combs and brushes, gloves... you name it, I have it. You can make a second cat out of that one every time I use the furminator.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went to the store today and found something like the Furminator, only for dogs.  Is there a difference?  I can always order one online.  I bought a glove that's supposed to be good for removing excess fur from cats, upholstery and clothes.  I haven't used it on my kitty as of yet because I already groomed him with his comb today.

Pumpkin loves to be groomed, which will make this a whole lot easier (what a pity he doesn't like his Laxatone as much!  lol).  I start near the top of his head and work my way down.  Sometimes one part at a time because he's a big kitty.  Yesterday I removed about two hairballs' worth.  Today only about a small one.  I have to do it when he's sitting on my bed as it's too hard to reach him otherwise.

Pumpkin is a short-haired kitty except for his tummy.  He's got long hair on his belly, esp. towards his backside.  I want to do his belly but he doesn't let me hold him in such a way that he's "belly up," except when he likes to be held first thing in the morning.  When he does that, Pumpkin will lay on his side, sometimes his back, while giving me kisses and kneading my skin like bread dough.

:)

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just came across the Same problem today. My long haired boy was running around the house when I noticed this weird thing about 3" hanging from his bum. Very unlike him as he's very clean... I removed it to find it was a huge hairball covered in poo like you. My guys being treated with special diet and pills for a bladder stone and called the vets asap worrying something was wrong. My vet also said it was normal and that if cats aren't throwing up or coughing they have to digest the hair and there for poop it out. It can cause small discomfort but not to worry just on the next visit (13 days) to bring it up and try a laxitave to help it can also be from cats who groom excessively. (I have 3 long hair + 1 short hair who all groom each other) I just wanted you to know your not the only one in this boat :).

I have no advice on the grooming as my cats don't allow it. They will only let each other groom them not me.

best of luck. If its really bothersome ask the vets for an appt and a stool test.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My RB kitty Chynna used to eliminate hairballs in her poop. 

Abby does the bulemia trick; gobbles as much dry cat food as she can in as short a time period as she can and then proceeds to throw up all over the place.

I haven't seen Spencer or Katie throw up, but I occasionally see a hairball "vomit" with grey hair, so I know at least one of them does.

Personally I'd rather them expel it in their poop.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Again, it actually means everything is working properly if hair is coming out in the poop. It makes no sense that animals that groom so much should be "designed" to barf up hair all the time. Throats are not meant to have gastric juices eating away at them all the time.

Why cats vomiting hairballs (instead of pooping them out) may be a sign of IBD:

http://consciouscat.net/2010/04/28/some-startling-new-thoughts-on-cats-and-hairballs/

http://consciouscat.net/2011/04/29/theres-no-such-thing-as-just-a-hairball/