My cat of 12 years died 2 hours

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Friday morning  Oct 12,2012 6am EST

With little warnings she was ill, my cat of 12 years yowled 3 hours ago, died 2 hours later on my way to a 24 hour vet 78 mies away. We were very close. I held her in my hand 5 minutes after she was born. I loved her.

Not sure what happen, most likely something natural

After my cat died in my car, i turned around  and went home. 

What should i do with her body? I dont know. Should i bury it in a relative's small pet cemetery of 4 cats? or should i cremate her body? It is 6am.

Last edited:

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh honey..I am so very sorry.  It sounds like something that couldn't have been prevented.  To come on so fast.  It is a blessing she went quickly and did not linger.

But it sure leaves a huge hole in us doesn't it?  I have a daughter whose cat died like that.  It was a blood clot in her case.

All my kitties get burried in our little kitty cemetary.  I cannot tell you where to bury your little friend.  Whichever you feel comfortable doing is the right choice.

You were there when she was born, and you were there when she left for the Bridge.  She knew love in the beginning and the end.  It does not get better than that.

God bless you and your one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks farleyv

i went with the cremation, the thought was with her ashes i could sprinkle someday, although  if i buried my cat,she would have been with other cats for comfort. I could have gone either way.

This is how things took place, in retrospect. 

About a couple of months ago,her lower abdomen and/or hind legs seemed to be sensitive.We thought it was because she was a tad skittish because a male cat we have sometimes  tapped her there for fun 

About 2 days ago, she seemed all fine:,eating coming to bed with me for a nap.

The last 24 hours, she seemed to be staying in her cat tent and not sleeping in a big easy chair,like she had done almost nightly

At 2 am this morning, i heard a loud cat moan and found her crouching down near me but she would not lift her head up nor look left or right. I heard a second cat moan a minute later and decided to bring her to the 24 vet, 75 miles away

As i was getting ready,calling the vet, getting dressed,etc,.she walked into a corner,legs swagging back and forth and crooked. Now panting heavily, I opened her travel cage, she walked in ut again had trouble walking.

About 40 miles to the vet, she was panting heavily, crying,lost bowels. She gave out a loud scream,arched her back,then laid down still breathing. then she passed away. About 10 minutes later, i found a little blood come from her mouth.

She had been overweigh. She spent maybe 3 minutes outside in any given year, she was always a house cat. She had stomach problems about 9 years ago. We believe she got on top of a counter and licked the top of a cleaner. According to the vet at the time, her stomach was likely bubbled or something.  I wonder now if that had something to do with her sudden health problem,

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Without a necropsy, it is impossible to really know what happened to your cat.  I am sorry you lost your friend.  In time, I hope your memories will comfort you and peace will come.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How traumatic for you, hun. :sniffle: I am so sorry about what happened to your precious :rbheart: kitty. It is really hard to say what went wrong. Cats are masters at hiding illnesses and sometimes without warning things go wrong very, very quickly. My deepest sympathies are with you. :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My condolences. It must have been a real shock to lose her so quickly, though it was probably a blessing for her not to linger with a painful illness.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks  for listening.

every so often like every hour i start crying again. any ideas when it will end or how to stop? i guess time. 

i have another thread on a cat that came down with hypothyroidism,4 years ago. that cat is her mother who is still alive

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss.  I am happy she knew your love and happiness while in your care.

Every one of us grieves differently, so I don't have a concrete answer to your questions.  I still grieve deeply for my 14 year old kitty I lost 18 months ago. 

I hope you can find peace and remember the good times you had together.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I wanted to add some pictures for memory here. The above picture is when she 'baby' was about 3 years

,her mother is in the second picture. We kept calling them 'momma cat and 'baby cat',eventually

that became their names. 'Babycat' the one that died. Babycat is the top picture.

I am starting to think of the good moments with her and the funny. When she was 3 years old,she

and her mother had to go stay with my motherinlaw for 2 weeks,who tends not to like cats.  The

first night, my motherinlaw was making pork chops on the stove as everyone was at the dinner

table. All of a sudden we look up and baby is on the counter,next to the stove,and grabbing a

a pork chop out of the pan.  Two years later and my motherinlaw was still complaining how she

was finding cat bite marks all over her house.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some years ago, i went out of state for 2 weeks,.a 3 hour car ride.away from home. First time my cat did not have me home at night.

On the last day of the 2 weeks away from home, when i got in my car and started the 3 hour trip home, i was one hour away from

arriving home when my  Baby cat went to a window still and stood staring at the driveway.  The whole 2 weeks, she NEVERr went to

the window sill to wait. When i was actaully one hour away from arriving and thinking how i could not wait to hug her,there she was 'knowing'

i was on my way home. Cats really do have some bond,telegraphic or what ever you want to call it.  I once had a dog playfully charge 

my feet,growling, she thought i was under attack and came running and intercepting my feet from the dog, chasing him back, although 

sjhe likely would have lost a fight with the dog if it was a real fight.

i loved her so much.  

Everyone thanks. Its helping.

Last edited:

fatcatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss.  My cat, Cecil, died at the vet's two days ago from Chylothorax.  Reading other stories seems to help me a lot.  Still, it is very painful and grievous.

subvet642

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss.  My cat, Cecil, died at the vet's two days ago from Chylothorax.  Reading other stories seems to help me a lot.  Still, it is very painful and grievous.
  It's been about two years since we lost Deli to Lymphoma. I was still getting headaches from the grief 'till about 6 months ago. She was my first cat and losing her was the most painful thing I've ever had to endure; I am in absolute dread of losing another. I am so sorry for your loss, I understand how you and empirefalls feel, but it will get better with time.