My cat needs your help.

Jeanluc12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I'm in need of your help, advice, or suggestion for my cat Sphinx.

My 2-year-old cat is suffering from congenital lordosis (inward curving of the lower spine) and it has recently started to affect her ability to pass her stool as the spine is resting on the colon.

I have tried giving her pumpkin puree, liquid diets, and even MiraLax but eventually, her colon gets blocked due to the deformity and now is creating bigger problems like megacolon.

Is there a way to solve her deformity through medical or surgical methods?

I've been reading about subtotal colectomy (Megacolon | American College of Veterinary Surgeons - ACVS) and it seems to be a good approach but it won't solve the problem, only postpone it.

I know some may say to euthanize but I will argue, when she doesn't struggle to pass stool, she lives a very normal and happy life. I cannot take that away from her.

20201008_195306.jpg 20201008_195259.jpg 20201008_1953466.png
20211020_004211.jpg

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What does your vet recommend / suggest for possible treatment options? Can you get a second vet opinion? Or ask your vet to consult with a veterinary school or with other vets?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jeanluc12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What does your vet recommend/suggest for possible treatment options? Can you get a second vet opinion? Or ask your vet to consult with a veterinary school or with other vets?
Unfortunately in Seychelles where I live, we had 2 veterinarian clinics, 1 recently shut down, so local assistance is very limited. Though all the veterinarians told me the same thing, use some sort of stool softener (lactulose, coconut milk, pumpkin puree) and give medication for the nerves called Neurobion. This treatment is not working and the veterinarians don't seem to have any other solution in mind.

Jeanluc12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Megacolon in cats - Need information
Megacolon please help!

Welcome to The Cat Site! Above are two threads in which members discussed megacolon.
Megacolon In Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals
VCA is somewhat more optimistic about the surgery than the other thread. However, the one thing I would do if you are considering the surgery is to find a vet to is very skilled in performing it.
Yes indeed but like I mentioned in one of my replies, I live in Seychelles and we currently have only one vet clinic. So right now I'm trying to get in touch with veterinarians overseas and perhaps have something arranged where they can fly down to perform the operation plus advertise it locally to build up some funds.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Seychelles - the island chain off of E. Africa? I know it is a long shot but is there any chance the one vet group you have available to you would be willing to do phone consults with other vet clinics, just to see if they have any other ideas to offer. There has to be a network of vets in surrounding locations who confer on cases??

Jeanluc12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Seychelles - the island chain off of E. Africa? I know it is a long shot but is there any chance the one vet group you have available to you would be willing to do phone consults with other vet clinics, just to see if they have any other ideas to offer. There has to be a network of vets in surrounding locations who confer on cases??
Yes, that's the one. The veterinarian has a few places where she confers cases; that is how she (veterinarian) managed to find out that my cat has congenital lordosis but unfortunately she is content on giving enemas and lactulose even though it's a temporary fix. Though I am awaiting a reply from her regarding possibly performing a sub colectomy.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is your cat a Munchkin by any chance? I only ask because this kind of condition, or something very similar, apparently is common for them. If it were to be the case, there might be some web site forums that have members that have had to address this??? Just throwing out anything I can think of that might give you any kind of help.

Jeanluc12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is your cat a Munchkin by any chance? I only ask because this kind of condition, or something very similar, apparently is common for them. If it were to be the case, there might be some website forums that have members that have had to address this??? Just throwing out anything I can think of that might give you any kind of help.
No, she is a regular tabby. The vet informed me that her condition was caused by a genetic abnormality, it had something to do with inbreeding.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I understand your situation and am not entirely surprised that your vet has worked up to a certain point and then stopped. I am not implying that she is not a good doctor, but sometimes these complicated conditions become sort of "write offs", like we are doing all we can. Keep trying for a connection for more help for your cat. If you are willing to go forward with the surgery, your vet should try to work with you or give you an excellent reason why it should not be done.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am anguished that it would seem no one here can help in any manner. I am sure that you have done all the necessary online research related to surgical procedures that are possible. I can try to help with that, if not.

I want you to keep me posted, if you want. She seems very happy, for now, in those pics and looks to be healthy otherwise - you have done right by her! My blessings are with you and your darling cat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would your vet be willing to call internationally to consult with other vets? Or be willing to try the vet only web site VIN.com where there is a forum just for vets to discuss cases and get more insight on treatment options?

Jeanluc12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand your situation and am not entirely surprised that your vet has worked up to a certain point and then stopped. I am not implying that she is not a good doctor, but sometimes these complicated conditions become sort of "write-offs" like we are doing all we can. Keep trying for a connection for more help for your cat. If you are willing to go forward with the surgery, your vet should try to work with you or give you an excellent reason why it should not be done.
Yes, I agree. I have a list of 10 clinics overseas which I will be trying to reach today for advice. In regards to the response from the local vet, she said that "her issue is complicated, we will put her through a rough surgery but she will still have issues".

Jeanluc12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am anguished that it would seem no one here can help in any manner. I am sure that you have done all the necessary online research related to surgical procedures that are possible. I can try to help with that, if not.

I want you to keep me posted, if you want. She seems very happy, for now, in those pics and looks to be healthy otherwise - you have done right by her! My blessings are with you and your darling cat.
Thank you for your wishes. I have tried to find information on congenital lordosis in the lower spine but it seems to be something rare as there is not much information about it.

These articles are closely related but not exactly.

Jeanluc12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would your vet be willing to call internationally to consult with other vets? Or be willing to try the vet only web site VIN.com where there is a forum just for vets to discuss cases and get more insight on treatment options?
Thank you, I will check with her if she would be willing to join. I will keep you posted.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
These articles are closely related but not exactly.
Same ones I found as well. I saw an abstract paper or two, but again not exactly the same thing.
I will check with her if she would be willing to join. I will keep you posted.
I hope she will join! And yes, please keep us posted.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I realize you do not have the medical availability in your area, but another possible consideration is chiropractic or at least some exercises for the hyperlordosis. There are exercises for humans but I haven't been able to find any for cats.

Jeanluc12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I realize you do not have the medical availability in your area, but another possible consideration is chiropractic or at least some exercises for the hyperlordosis. There are exercises for humans but I haven't been able to find any for cats.
It's a good idea, I will consult with the vet and see what she says. Thank you