My cat mysteriously went missing after behaving strangely.

breezebox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been missing for 2 weeks now and it's a mystery as to where she might have gone. Was hoping maybe someone here could crack the case.

Vienna is very friendly. She meows at everyone, would go on walks with people and even ocasionally entered houses uninvited. She always had a tag on with our phone number on it and we'd always get calls from people saying that they've found our cat and we'd always reply with; not to worry, she likes to wander and comes home every night. All these callers would see her close to our house and we'd get 3-4 calls a week. And she did come home every single night... Until she didn't.

3 days before she went missing, she came on her walk with us as she usually does, but this time we walked an extra km or two past our estate into the houses by the wetlands. The following day, Vienna didn't come home by 7pm, so we went looking for her. We found her in the area further down, where we had gone for a walk the day before. She must've found something she liked down there we figured. But the same thing happened the next day and once again we had to go and get her. On the final day, a lady actually called us from that area and we went and got her. That's when we decided to confine her until at least we could put a GPS tag on her.

Unfortunately, someone left the laundry open that night and she got out and we haven't seen her since. We have searched, put posters up. People saw her the day after she went missing, at the houses a little past the wetlands. They said they heard her collar ringing as she walked with them. Definitely her.

Not sure what she'd found down in that area, but she didn't seem to want to come home. What's weird though is all the calls we'd been getting every week stopped the day she left. We haven't gotten a single call since, despite getting them all the time. We thought someone maybe stole her, but we live in a very animal loving suburb and she's only a tabby. Plus, who would steal a cat with a collar that has the owner's contact details?

Anyway, has this happened to anyone and does anyone have any answers or advice? We are devastated.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see lots of possibilities. Cats can have a range of a couple of square miles. She may have wandered past her usual area and just found interesting things to see. It’s very likely she will still turn up so keep going out and calling her at the times you usually walked her. I would also try early morning and evenings. After dark, cats are easily spotted using a flashlight because their eyes reflect the light very well. Look for a pair of glowing eyes. She may have gotten so engrossed in play she got a bit lost. Be sure to check places with fencing, especially wire type. Was her collar a break away collar? It could have broken off if that is the case. That might lead someone to think she needed rescuing. Since a cat can travel a long distance, they may not know she is yours. I found a cat that had gone to sleep in the back of a pickup truck and was over five miles from her home. It was the signs I put up that helped me find her family. She had been missing for two months. So don’t give up! I have also found a cat with a collar. He was hungry and hung around for two solid weeks before I brought him in and began the search. I also found his family by posting “Found Cat” signs. Honestly, the cat turned up a second time and I got worried about his care. We have a leash law here for cats and I knew animal control would pick him up if he kept wandering. I called his family and explained the laws and the risks and he was not let out again. If you have that law there, you need to call animal control, local shelters and rescue groups. It’s possible he has been located without his collar. Check with local vets, store clerks and anyone that might have seen him or had inquiries from someone who may have found him. Talk to everyone! Many people see cats wandering and just assume they are lost and need help. They mean well but he may be getting care from a well meaning person who is further away that you would think. The post office is a good place to put up pictures and signs. Pet supply stores too. There are also websites for lost AND found pets. Look there too.
I have been doing feral rescues for a long time and I had a feral vanish. She was gone a long time and I was very worried but she did turn up. Cats are masters at survival and at hiding if they want to be outside. Vienna is probably still exploring something in that new area. Squirrels and other things are intriguing new friends could be keeping her distracted. Just don’t give up. They seem to turn up when we least expect it. If she isn’t microchipped, when you get her back, get her chipped, GPS or maybe trained to a harness so you won’t have to worry again.
You might also try some of the things we use to bring ferals closer. A string scented food like fish can be smelled from a distance. Popping the top on a can of cat food or shaking the container on treats or dry food can be heard from a distance. Leave a garage open a little or a window or the door she escaped through could be left a open a little. Give her ways to return on her own.
I hope something here will help. Please do keep us posted. Others will likely have more suggestions too. Keep calling her. I can tell you dozens of stories of cats coming back just when their family was really worried. :alright::redheartpump: The picture is precious! Come home Vienna and quit chasing squirrels!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird has a lot of good suggestions which you should follow up on....and don't give up hope. I have seen this behavior in ferals from time to time...just as I decide that they are gone forever, they turn up...or someone else who likes cats has started to put out some food and they like it better there.

The only thing I don't like about your post is that the phone calls stopped when you pretty much had the phone ringing off the hook. I wonder if someone has her. This is what you are up against....some people believe a cat who is allowed to wander is in danger and deserves to be adopted into an indoor only situation. Collar or not. Or, if Vienna has gotten into the habit of exploring, the collar may have come off.

In my neighborhood on Nextdoor just a few days ago a woman posted that she looked out the window and saw two dog walkers picking up her very friendly cat and walking off with it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think there is a connection between the calls stopping and her being gone for this amount of time. There are a lot of people who feel they need to intervene when a cat is constantly found away from their homes. And, given that she wandered into 'new territory', someone there might be less 'forgiving' than some of your more nearby neighbors. All you can do is the typical things that people do to try to find their lost pets, but in your case I think you need to pay particular attention to and constant contact with the ones who live closest to the 'new' area she was drawn to - the squeaky wheel gets the grease, if you know what I mean.

Skip down to the part of this article that relates to cats straying from home. Help! My Cat Is Lost!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

breezebox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news everyone, Vienna was sighted in an area around where she was last seen in the wetlands. Hoping tha was her and someone doesn't have her.