My cat Mittens likes - loves! to lick plastic.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes she has a plastic fetish.  Loves to lick plastic bags, any kind, she doesn't care.  Anyone ever heard of this weirdness?  she does not injest or chew the plastic; just licks.

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
YES! My first cat, Chase, also has an obsession with licking plastic. She'll sit on it & then lick. She also never chews or attempts to eat. Weird...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, how weird!

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bear kitty sits and licks plastic for hours. We'll wake up in the middle of the night to her licking bags left out.

She never chews or eats it.... just licks it. She'll pull out the grocery bags in hiding just to lick them...

I"m glad I'm not the only with a weird(er) cat!

csts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Charvone does this all the time. No matter how many times we try to distract, redirect, or tell him to stop, he continues to have an obsession with licking plastic. It's very noisy, too.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
^^^^^^ owners of cat fetishists.

mellanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Cat isn't into licking plastic but he sure does like licking all the furniture.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, Hey, Mellana, that seems more normal to me!

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kismet tries to eat thin plastic like the ones for shopping bags, which is kind if pica-ish, but controllable thankfully.

Mo will lick nearly anything, but plastic is one of his favourites. He'll lick skin, wood, and plastic furiously. Actually, when he got a blood test done early this year, he was found to be slightly anemic, and licking lots of weird stuff can be a sign of anemia! I think in Mo's case, both his own personal weirdness and anemia play a part in the frequency of the plastic licking.

Last edited:

mellanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he is the first one to lick the furniture for me so I think it's odd :)

ouiser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With 16 cats currently in the house I guess I have an answer for ALMOST everything...

Erik, one of our elders, LOVES plastic bags and whenever I get my supermarket delivery he'll be all over them - I watch out for the bags' handles though as in his enthusiasm he'd sometimes pull the handle over his head and around his neck and run terrified all over the place...

posiesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat loves to lick the plastic blinds on the windows!  She is obsessed with it and you can hardly pry her away from them!

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Amy cat pychotherapists out there?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I once read that some types of plastic, especially the think cellophane types, contains a derivative of fish which supposedly attracts some cats. I don't know if this is true or not. I do know that we're seen some pretty weird eating fetishes in cats over the years here 
 You cat is not alone!