My cat might have licked open his neutering incision

sam fadul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm new to this site.

I got my two cats neutered today. Their names are Smokey and Blackie, they are brothers and they have never been apart since they were found together as kittens. They just recently turned two years old and are in great health. I would have liked to have the procedure done at their regular vet but there was just no way I could afford their rates, so I opted for a local animal shelter. Apparently they don't have a veterinarian on staff but one comes in once or twice a week to perform operations like this.

I dropped them off at the clinic at 9:00 a.m. and was instructed to pick them up at 3:00 p.m. When I got them back, the lady told me that everything had gone fine and I was just to give them each one tablet of Onsior per day for the next three days and make sure they wore their e-collars. I got them home and let them out of their carriers and Blackie almost immediately started licking his incisions. I quickly struggled with him to get his collar on, which took about five minutes. Once it was on I turned around to put Smokey's on only to find that he had apparently been licking his own incisions most of the time. They both have their collars on now but I'm worried that Smokey may have opened one of his incisions in the 5-10 minutes he was uncollared. The clinic's take-home instructions call them "absorbable sutures." I don't know if that means they used stitches or an adhesive or what, but each side of Blackie's scrotum and one side of Smokey's has a small point of red surrounded by a shaved area of pink skin, which I assume is just what the normal incision looks like. On the other side of Smokey's, however, I can't see the skin at all, there is just a round spot of red, larger than the spot on the other side. He doesn't seem to be bleeding but the spot looks like it might be dried blood and there appears to be a small amount of blood in the fur around the area.

I called the clinic and got no response, and the vet who did the operation won't be back until next week anyway, so I called my regular vet and the receptionist told me that as long as there isn't pus or blood actively flowing out I shouldn't be alarmed. I still can't help worrying though, especially as Blackie is acting like his normal cheerful self and Smokey is remaining mostly stationary, huddled up on the floor staring at the carpet, although that may be due to the anaesthesia or his discomfort from the collar. Do you think I should take the vet at their word and just keep an eye on him for a few days to see if the incision gets any worse, or should I seek another opinion?

I tried to take some pictures of the site, they're not very good because they're focused on such a small area, but you can kind of see the contrast in the appearance between the two incisions. Does this look normal for a few hours after a neuter?

If I have to take him to the vet and get him stitched up again of course I will, I just don't know how I'll be able to afford it so anyone has any advice I'd be extremely grateful.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
The "absorbable sutures" means the sutures are *internal* and will dissolve on their own (unlike many spays where there are external sutures that have to be removed.)

I think your boy looks ok. Some swelling/redness is normal the first few days post-op.

I do suggest keeping the boys confined to a room for the next 24+ hrs or so. You don't want them running, jumping or climbing.

And, yes, it's likely Smokey's surgery was done later in the day than Blackie's and he is probably still recovering from anesthesia.

Just continue to keep an eye on them. =)

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi

Should be fine. Keep the collars on and try to make sure they don't do each other a favor and (OH...ICK...) you get the idea. I would limit their activity by keeping them in a room or even in the bathroom for now. You have to play it by ear and see what will work for them.

Did they tell you to use shredded paper instead of regular cat litter so the litter doesn't get inside the scrotum opening or stuck into the suture area?

Back in the 80's there was no suture even used in a cat neuter. It was just cut, pull, tie in a knot, and there you go.

If there is any additional swelling or if you see a discharge then try again to contact your vet but otherwise should be okay.

Lucky you. Two cone headed kittys to care for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sam fadul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, guys! He's acting much more like himself today and there doesn't appear to be any blood or sign of an open wound that I can detect. It still looks different from the other incision site, like where it was a round red area yesterday it's a grayish/off-white area today. Not sure if that could be pus or a scab or what, but it doesn't look wet or raw or appear to be leaking. Should I just continue to monitor it?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Sam !

I'm not responding to your last question, only dropping a tidbit of "advice" for future reference.....

The pain med you were given is not one that many 'in-the-know-cat-people' would be using for their cats. Onsior is in the NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) drug class. Cats are unique in their inability to normally metabolize these substances, their livers not having evolved with the enzymes required to do so. The result of their use in cats is often some amount of damage (often undetectable by current testing) to kidneys. In that drug class, the most notorious is "Metacam".........A Google for  "metacam and cats" will reveal all. (The irony is that both of these drugs are licensed for pain control in feline neutering procedures!)

Many people ensure that their cats veterinary files are notated with "NO NSAIDs / METACAM"....good advice, as well as never assuming anything and always asking the specifics of any prescribed medication.

(We don't intend to micromanage our Vets' prescribing/treatments.....we do want them to work in partnership with us, though!)

You don't need to be alarmed/upset over this now....it's meant as a 'heads-up' for future reference.

sam fadul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, just wanted to say that Smokey's incisions seem to have cleared up and appear to be healing. I've taken his collar off and he's been good about not licking them. I am concerned though that today, three days after the surgery, he has started vomiting. He's thrown up three times today, twice an off-white foamy liquid and once undigested dry food in between. I wondered if he could have picked up an illness from the animal shelter, but his brother appears to be in perfect health and they've been shut up together since I brought them home. Is this new behavior something to be concerned about or could it be a delayed response to the surgery or Onsior? Yesterday he had a difficult time pooping, after sitting in his litter box for quite a while with nothing happening, he started thrashing around like it was a real struggle to go. The stool that came out was loose and smelled bad but not diarrhea. He's been eating and drinking regularly though and doesn't appear to be dehydrated. Any thoughts or recommendations?

sam fadul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mistake, it's actually been four days since their surgery. They were neutered last Thursday.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I would certainly call your vet. I doubt that this is a delayed reaction to the surgery itself (or anesthesia.) It's possible the Onsior could be the culprit, though I might have expected problems sooner.

I have personally used Onsior any times (and off-label for 2 of my kitties) and have not had any problems. But, that's not to say it couldn't cause a problem for another kitty.