My cat may have thrown up feces

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not sure at this time. My cat may have thrown up feces, i cant be positive. It also may be because she eat old cat food that was accidentally left out on her plate for three hours, that she threw up

She is 13 years old, diagnosed with hyperthyroidism three years ago and on 2x a day Tapazole

She seems fine now,alert, normal,cuddly,. She continues to eat.

I once had a cat that was constipated and a vet told me simple small amount of exlaz would be fine. If exlax type medicine becomes necessary, is exlax safe for cat? I am not going to run out and get her exlax if it is, i just want it in the house if i need it for my cat.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not possible to throw up feces, but the food may have been almost all the way digested. Are you sure it wasn't a hairball though? Three hour old cat food doesn't normally cause upset.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for answering Minka

I am glad it is not feces and impossible.

The left out food may have been more than 3 hours,5 ? It was Trader Joes tuna cat food which is kinda bulky. In the past she has loved their tuna, but this batch i bought recently, she is not chowing it down in minutes like she use to. Maybe its to rich. She hasnt thrown up a hairball in years,that i know of. Shes a short hair silver tabby

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the tuna cat food the only thing she eats? She may just be bored of it and that's why she is not eating it as eagerly.

If you buy her a different food and she continues to not eat/throw up, I would get her into a vet for a check-up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Minka

Is the tuna cat food the only thing she eats? She may just be bored of it and that's why she is not eating it as eagerly.

If you buy her a different food and she continues to not eat/throw up, I would get her into a vet for a check-up.
yes. she loves tuna to the point i have thought of posting a new thread on why some cats love tuna. i gave her a can of bubblebee tuna and she ate the whole can in 5 minutes. 6 hours later , no throw up

danewillow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It isn't impossible to throw up feces. It could be a sign of an obstruction (we had a Dane with an obstruction throwing up feces, and you think cleaning up regular vomit is bad...). If it really is feces (if it smells like feces, it probably is) you should bring the cat to the vet.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by empirefalls

yes. she loves tuna to the point i have thought of posting a new thread on why some cats love tuna. i gave her a can of bubblebee tuna and she ate the whole can in 5 minutes. 6 hours later , no throw up
Fish isn't that great for cats, and I'm not sure if it directly contributes to thyroid issues or not, but I highly suggest to limit her intake of fish. http://catnutrition.wordpress.com/20...ding-for-cats/

Cats love it because it tastes good to them, not because it IS good for them unfortunately.
Originally Posted by danewillow

It isn't impossible to throw up feces. It could be a sign of an obstruction (we had a Dane with an obstruction throwing up feces, and you think cleaning up regular vomit is bad...). If it really is feces (if it smells like feces, it probably is) you should bring the cat to the vet.
Hmm... I didn't think it was physically possible to throw up feces... but apparently it is. HOWEVER, if you cat is throwing up poop, she needs to get to the vet ASAP.

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hairballs look at lot like feces. Pick it up with a paper towel and smash it. You should know pretty quick if it is a ball of hair versus poo.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very possible to vomit up feces. If you have a obstruction/blockage then it often does happen. You will know by the smell if it is feces.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by danewillow

Originally Posted by gardenandcats

It is very possible to vomit up feces. If you have a obstruction/blockage then it often does happen. You will know by the smell if it is feces.
You are both correct. I have seen a few domestic cats come into veterinary practices that threw up feces.

I am going to post two links for the OP to look at, if they wish: http://www.infovets.com/healthycatsinfo/E924.htm and http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat...and-treatments.

The cat really must be seen by a veterinarian.

TCJag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's not possible to throw up feces, but the food may have been almost all the way digested. Are you sure it wasn't a hairball though? Three hour old cat food doesn't normally cause upset.
Cats can vomit feces. My cat did, she had liver cancer. It is known for cats to vomit feces when they have certain types of cancers.