My cat LOVES veggies! Do you have a cat that does?

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is CRAZY about veggies! He loves spinach (his favorite), kale, romaine, brussel sprout leaves, carrots, and broccoli. My other two cats will NOT eat them, lol. Do you have a cat that likes vegetables? Here is a picture of him. His name is Rudy. He used to love opening these veggie subscription boxes with me when I used to get them! I had to watch him though. He would steal stuff! Haha
DSC_0560 (2).jpg

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My two sister kitties, Lily and Iris, love tomatoes and will beg for them loudly when I’m slicing them for salads. :)

(I know that tomatoes are fruits, botanically.)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Yea, I've got one that's like that now but I've had worse in the past.

My Burmese was Helen Melon because you simply could not leave a honeydew or a cantaloupe or any sort of melon unattended in my house even long enough to answer the phone. She'd find it and take a bite out of it. :lol:
I was warning my husband at lunch today that Iris was eyeing his sandwich, and he reminded me that she once jumped onto the counter and licked the cantaloupe he had just prepared for his breakfast. Personally, I would have rinsed and eaten it, but he dumped the whole thing down the garbage disposal before I could stop him. :lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The only people foods my current cat wants and will eat are bread, pastries, Cheetos and popcorn. I have had previous cats though that loved melon, green beans, coffee, potatoes and in one case just about anything we ate.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitties get once a year adzuki bean birthday cake with asparagus candles. I know this is no-no, but they LOVE it!

1581126282442.png

Pila, the orange girl, showed interest on melon in the past, but human is not in favor of it she rarely sees it ...

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don't like any human food. They look at me like "You eat that junk?" Pepper loved black olives though. Yes even then I rinsed the excess salt off the olive for her and she had one a year.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is CRAZY about veggies! He loves spinach (his favorite), kale, romaine, brussel sprout leaves, carrots, and broccoli. My other two cats will NOT eat them, lol. Do you have a cat that likes vegetables? Here is a picture of him. His name is Rudy. He used to love opening these veggie subscription boxes with me when I used to get them! I had to watch him though. He would steal stuff! HahaView attachment 321447
I love that picture....he is soooo cute and trim.

Here are greg and arnold.....do they look like they eat vegetables? :flail:

Attachments

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They all are fond of black olives and mushrooms. One seems to like sauerkraut.

As far as other greens, they'll eat any potted fern they find in the house right down to the dirt. No more houseplants for me!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a study somewhere once that said the reason why some cats eat veggies is because they contain umami which has a “meaty” flavor (umami is made up partly of glutamate which is also in meats and fish). Essentially they are on the prowl for protein and the umami attracts them to the veggies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. They have never expressed interest in them other than pumpkin which I give them when they have tummy troubles.I don't offer them vegetables because I know they don't need them. The sure love meat though. I bought a lovely bone in rib eye at Publix on Friday night. They were on sale. That will be dinner tonight with some veggies for me. The girls will reluctantly let me have some steak too. :rolleyes2:

Sophie likes vanilla ice cream but ONLY the high end brands. I put a small amount on a spoon and she licks it up. Lilith will not touch it. She turns down any people food other than meat and she is a little furry snapping turtle when it comes to meat. :lol:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rocket steals corn, broccoli, eggs and breads (along with any unguarded meat). We call her the garbage kitty and she was feral for the first three months of her life. The boys have no interest in human foods.

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I adopted Jem, I thought there’d be no problems with him stealing human food, because neither my roommate nor I eat meat. Jem had other plans- he loves to try to steal veggies, especially broccoli and carrots/potatoes when they’re being peeled. I’ve had to chase him down and take away a vegetable from him more than once.

Noahh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat will not eat any people food. He only eats cat food, cat treats, and occasionally catnip. We he smells people food, he just walks away. It is the strangest thing, especially since my previous cat would eat a lot of people food.

Snowshoe kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My snowshoe Sweet Pea is interested in any thing she sees me eating. So when I snack she looks intently at me until I surrender her a piece to try. So far she has liked popcorn, potato chips, certain cookies , cake, leaves from broccoli. I only give these to her in small tidpits though.🤣

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Isabel has no teeth, so she can't really chew veggies. But she never at them anyway. She's always been my picky eater.

Sammy will eat anything. He's like a garbage disposal if you let him. x.x

Jasper, I don't know! We haven't really tried feeding him anything other than his food and meats.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I don't have any cats right now, but Sweetie used to try to eat lettuce when I was making a salad, and years ago my son and I had a cat who liked olives.

BTW, I absolutely love that picture!!!! Except those vegetables🥕🥦🍅 don't look very misfit, they actually look much healthier than the ones I buy at the local grocery store.🥬🥒

Last edited:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my former fosters likes Lettuce, and Callie once ate an entire slice of pizza after I left it on the counter to cool down while I was eating. Later on when I went to put it away I noticed there were 3 missing slices when I only ate 2, and the mystery resolved itself when she threw up later.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee and Fudge both love carrots. Toffee has been known to eat broccoli and mangetout in the past too, as well as asparagus.