My cat loves chocolate... are their alternative cat treats?

bodisha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I got my cat I started reading about cat health to make sure I didn't give him anything that wasn't good for him.  I never knew cat's were lactose intolerant and chocolate wasn't good for him, so I don't give either to him.  I'm his 3rd owner, and I'm assuming one of the previous owners must have given him chocolate as a treat.  Anytime I've opened at candy bar, he goes pretty nuts to get at it.  I mean this isn't him just sitting there, watching and begging like normal.  He'll get pretty persistent to get at it, and is much more aggressive than if I'm eating anything else.  I mean he'll go as far as to crawl over me to get at one in my hand and I have to actively defend it from him.  I don't eat a ton of candy bars, but the few times I have, I've caught him tearing open the wrappers and licking them clean after I was done with them a couple times.  Since he seems to love chocolate so much, I was wondering if anyone knows of a safe chocolate flavored treat for cats.  

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chocolate is not safe for animals especially dark chocolate. If you have a candy bar, do not eat it around him and throw the wrapper away immediately.

We must keep our pets safe from toxic things. No matter if he likes it, it's not safe. Chocolate has milk in it, which most cats have an intolerance to it.  As for treats that are like chocolate.. there is probably no such thing. It's best to give him a treat made for cats.

From this article: http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/digestive/c_ct_chocolate_toxicity

Chocolate Toxicity in Cats

Although they’re not normally as curious about people foods as dogs are, cat (and kittens in particular) can sometimes eat things they aren’t supposed to eat, including chocolate. Derived from the roasted seeds of the cacao plant, certain properties in chocolate can be toxic to cats when they’re ingested, specifically, caffeine and theobromine. Eating these ingredients can lead to a number of medical complications—some of which may be serious—in your cat. Learn more about the symptoms and treatment of chocolate poisoning in cats, below.

Symptoms and Causes

If your cat is experiencing chocolate poisoning, it may have one of the following symptoms:
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Increased body temperature
  • Increased reflex responses
  • Muscle rigidity
  • Rapid breathing
  • Increased heart rate
  • Low blood pressure
  • Seizures
  • Advanced signs (cardiac failure, weakness, and coma)
These symptoms will vary based on the amount and type of chocolate that is ingested and can influence the severity of the condition. Varieties of chocolate that can be especially poisonous to cats are milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate and baking chocolate.

Diagnosis

If you suspect your cat has ingested chocolate and is experiencing any of the above symptoms, bring it to your veterinarian immediately. You can expect your vet to perform a complete physical exam, including a chemical blood profile, an electrolyte panel, and a urinalysis to help determine if your cat has overdosed on caffeine and theobromine.

Your veterinarian may also perform an ECG to help determine if the heart is showing any abnormalities in rhythm or conduction of heart beats.

Treatment

While you wait for your cat to be evaluated, try to keep them cool, calm and in a quiet place to help keep the symptoms of chocolate poisoning from escalating too quickly. Your veterinarian may also recommend that you induce vomiting quickly after ingestion to prevent the chemicals in the chocolate from being digested and to control any seizures, should they occur. Fluids will be administered to keep your cat hydrated as its condition improves and, to avoid any further problems, you’ll want to feed your cat a bland diet for several days after it has been treated.   

Prevention

The best form of preventing chocolate toxicity is to always keep chocolate out of your cat’s reach and be wary of feeding them anything that might contain chocolate.  

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he really is a chocolate fiend, you could try offering OCCASIONAL doggy 'chocolate' drops. They're made from carob. Another option would be cat catnip drops. Neither is healthy for cats, but they're at least non toxic. If you decide to try either be sure that it's a very occasional treat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can't tell what's afe for them to eat and what's not. They'll eat whatever tastes good to them and that may have serious consequences. It's up to you to put away unsafe food, lock it up in cat-proof storage containers and behind doors if necessary, and keep a secure lid on the trash can (or behind a secure door if possible) to prevent the cat from digging out stuff to eat. Keep your chococlate in the fridge, not lying around the counter or on a table or in a bag somewhere where the cat can easily get to it. Ignore your cat when you do eat chcoolate and try to redirect his attention to a toy or a cat-safe treat. It's hard to ignore those big eyes and the whine but keeping your cat safe is most important.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can't tell what's afe for them to eat and what's not. They'll eat whatever tastes good to them and that may have serious consequences. It's up to you to put away unsafe food, lock it up in cat-proof storage containers and behind doors if necessary, and keep a secure lid on the trash can (or behind a secure door if possible) to prevent the cat from digging out stuff to eat. Keep your chococlate in the fridge, not lying around the counter or on a table or in a bag somewhere where the cat can easily get to it. Ignore your cat when you do eat chcoolate and try to redirect his attention to a toy or a cat-safe treat. It's hard to ignore those big eyes and the whine but keeping your cat safe is most important.
:yeah: Don't give in about the chocolate - it can and does kill cats.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could be the sound of the wrapper crinkling that reminds him of treats. Like when you open a can of soup but the cats think it's wet food time?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a good point. When Shadow was younger he'd go nuts when someone had candy - he wanted the wrapper tied in a knot so he could play with it! :jump:

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise

Could be the sound of the wrapper crinkling that reminds him of treats. Like when you open a can of soup but the cats think it's wet food time?
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. My cats always got a treat at the same time I had to give Sara her pill (Lucky used to FLY into the living room when I opened the pill bottle!). One day, earlier this year, I was in my bedroom opening a piece of candy, and Lucky just jumped on my bed, the hard way! My 16-year-old cat that always took the easy way up onto my bed, literally just flew up there! He thought he was getting another treat! I had to tell him, "No, this isn't a Lucky treat, it's a mommy treat!" He still meowed at me till I caved and gave him a Lucky treat.

So, it could very well just be that. My kittens have already started associating the sound of pill bottles with treat time. Somehow, they even know when it's mommy's pill bottle (meaning no treat) vs Sara's pill bottles (meaning treat).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bodisha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be, in part, the sound of a wrapper.  He's got the craziest, most selective hearing that cracks me up sometimes.  He can be in his sleeping spot (In a closet in my bedroom) and hear me crinkle a bag in the living room, and he'll haul butt to find out what I have.  Usually though, once he finds out what I have, he'll go into his usual begging routine.  Which is him sitting there and patiently watching me, hoping he can get some.  If I have chocolate, or chocolate flavored deserts like cake... He becomes unusually determined to get to it, and I have to shoo him away.  Now to calm some of the posters down... I do my best to be careful with chocolate based candies and treats.  He's only had 2 opportunities in the last 1 1/2 years to rip open an empty candy bar wrappers to lick them.  The first time was shortly after I got him, and the second time was recently.  So I'd like to think I'm a responsible pet owner.  I was just hoping there might be an alternative treat for him since he appears to love chocolate.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's no alternative to chocolate so just give your cat commerical cat treats or something homemade like a little raw or plain cooked chicken