My Cat Loves Attention

Benfish1113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently got my first cat when she was 3 weeks old, but she is not really what I expected. I wanted a black female medium haired cat from the beginning and she was the only one who fit that description. Unlike the other kittens she wanted attention from the first moment I picked her up. As soon as I put her down she would keep meowing. I figured she would grow out of it, but I am very affectionate and treat her like a baby. She is now 8 months and still loves attention. Whenever I get home she needs to be held. If I don't pick her up she will repeatedly jump into my arms (with claws retracted) and want lovies until I feed her. After that she will still want attention and to be held and jump into my arms, but won't be as needy. Is this uncommon behavior for an 8 month old cat? I am so happy that she is like this but it seems surprising since she is a cat

Last edited:

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How I've wished for such a cat! Mine will tolerate being held for about three minutes tops, and that's only if I'm standing at a glass door where they can look out at the world. Enjoy it while you can - cats' personalities change some as they age. If you're lucky, she'll continue to be the sweet, affectionate little girl you've got now. Lucky you!

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, not unusual at all!

First, cats tend to be most active during dawn and dusk hours, so when you arrive home, her instincts are telling her to find food and eat. So her "aggressively" seeking attention can be both a combination of natural instincts and simply she misses you.

Second, cats are much more social than many people give them credit for! Your girl will naturally become calmer over time - by this time next year, you'll probably notice she spends more time hanging out in windows or sleeping on her own. But my 11yo male spends *hours* each day that I work from home in the attached position.

Attachments

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not unusual at all! If Huxley could have his way, he would spend his days on my lap or in my arms. When I am at home and not with him like cooking or cleaning, he meows and kind of looks at me with a confused look on his face as if to say “what’s this mama? I want my human pillow please! Now!”

Enjoy! There are many people who wish they had such affectionate cats like ours!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Benfish1113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
cats tend to be most active during dawn and dusk hours
I work odd hours and it doesn't matter what time I get home. She always acts like this whenever I get home from anywhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Benfish1113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not unusual at all! If Huxley could have his way, he would spend his days on my lap or in my arms. When I am at home and not with him like cooking or cleaning, he meows and kind of looks at me with a confused look on his face as if to say “what’s this mama? I want my human pillow please! Now!”

Enjoy! There are many people who wish they had such affectionate cats like ours!
My baby is the same way. Whenever she wants attention she will repeatedly meow at me until I pick her up. I feel so lucky to have a cat that is so affectionate. Also, she loves visitors. She will try to get attention from them when she's not trying to get it from me