My Cat Lost His Voice

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Charlie doesn't seem to feel well - he is less interested in food and play than usual, just wants to nap, and when he meows nothing comes out. This doesn't seem like a normal "silent meow". He only wants his canned food today, no dry food or crunchy treats, so I think maybe his throat is sore as well. I've seen him cough or gag a little a couple of times, too.

I'm already planning to take him to the vet Monday if he isn't back to normal by then, but in the meantime, does anyone know what could cause this?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be a sore throat from a cold, or allergies, or who knows what. Glad you're taking him in to be seen tomorrow. Keep us posted.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is Charlie doing? Did it turn out that you took him to the vet yesterday?
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats just got over a bout of this, but sneezing was a factor too. I gave them L-Lysine figuring it was the herpes virus, but it still took them a good week to get over it. Very sleepy, silent, and gagging, sneezing. Spread from one to another down all 4. The 'frailer' ones took longer to recover but all are fine now. I am curious too, what did the vet find?

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats can lose their voices with upper respiratory infections just like we can. And just like us, it takes a while to come back sometimes. I hope that things are looking up for you today!

Zrima21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On Monday Socks voice was hoarse, Tuesday voice gone and started gagging like he needed to hack up a hairball. Last night I bought hairball treats and Hairball food. Today still no voice, still trying to hack something up and when he does its very little amount of clear or white foam. When he tries to make vocal sounds he sounds "congested". Our cats are all Indoors, he's 10yrs. Should I get a hairball laxative instead or does this prompt an expensive vet visit?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Start him on some L-lysine treats/supplements. He may have a 'kitty cold'. Does he have watery eyes at times? My cats went through this a month ago, some worse than others, they slept all the time and sneezed a lot too. The supplement wouldn't hurt. Make sure he is drinking lots of water. My cats took up to two weeks to get over it.
If he continues to cough have him x-rayed for a heart check, it's not too expensive, not like an MRI. A nagging cough could be his heart. I had a cat that lived for ten years after the diagnosis,so with medication it is manageable. Keep in touch!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I must not have gotten my notifications for this thread. Sorry I never answered! Charlie got over his sore throat pretty quickly, so I didn't take him to the vet at that time. He ended up getting hurt not long after, so of course he saw the vet then, and he was fine apart from the injury (which has also healed nicely by now). He must have had a mild upper respiratory infection, I think.